Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Stopover suggestions for S. America & LAN vs. AA on BA award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover suggestions for S. America & LAN vs. AA on BA award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by jfkeze
I'm trying to go to Argentina but add an IPC destination... since its the same cost..

I know a JFK-SCL-IPC-SCL-EZE-LIM-JFK would be valid since its the same direction, but I'm trying to add the IPC on the return

JFK-SCL (conex)-EZE (stopover)-SCL-IPC(dest)-SCL-JFK...

would that be valid?
so I'm kinda answering my own question...
I got shot down on that routing, seems also hard to get a routing that has EZE and IPC in the same trip...
any tips?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:02 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
There are some that include both... this is all I got so far through my research:

MIA-LIM(stop)-IPC(stop)-SCL-EZE(stop)-LIM-MIA

I recently booked LAX-LIM-SCL-IPC-SCL-MDZ-AEP/EZE-GRU-LIM-LAX for 40,000 miles per person and then LIM-AQP-JUL-CUZ-LIM for 20,000 miles per person. I am flying Lan Chile, Lan Peru, and Lan Argentina at various points on the trip.

Outbound = LAX - LIM - SCL - IPC (dest).
Return = IPC - SCL - MDZ - AEP/EZE - GRU - LIM - LAX

SFO-LIM-EZE-SCL-IPC

JFK - SCL (stopover) - IPC (destination) - SCL - CJC (stopover) - SCL - JFK

JFK-LIM-EZE-SCL-IPC

I paid $95.02 in taxes and fees (including the telephone booking fee) for IPC-SCL/SCL-LIM-JFK on LAN in J. EZE-LIM-JFK in J was $59 in taxes and fees. EZE-SCL-IPC in J was $72.60 in taxes and fees.

JFK-LIM-SCL-IPC-SCL-JFK

SFO-LIM-EZE-SCL-IPC-SCL-LIM-SFO (I've personally booked and flown this so I can guarantee this works - though with the addition of the LIM-IPC flight I don't know if they've tightened the routing rules and disallowed this)
SFO-LIM-GRU-EZE-FTE-USH-AEP-LIM-SFO (I don't know if BA will allow this routing but it's worth a shot; if this is allowed, you can try adding Santiago on the way back from Buenos Aires; or if not, remove GRU and the rest should be allowed)
SFO-LIM-SCL-EZE-IGR-EZE-LIM-SFO (haven't tried this but I'm reasonably sure this should be allowed)

NYC-Bogota (20k miles), Bog-Rio (10k)- Rio-JFK (20k)

BA allows unlimited stopovers

hubs are
Santiago de Chile, Lima, Buenos Aires, Guayaquil, Lima and Quito.

Buenos aires/iguazu
buenos aires/mendoza
buenos/puerto madryn
santiago/easter island
el salvador/santiago
miami/quito
miami/bogota
miami/caracas
miami/santiago
caracas/santiago
quito/bogota
santiago/sao paulo
sao paulo/lima
sao paulo/rio

SFO / LAX - LIM - GRU (stopover) - EZE (stopover change airports to AEP) - FTE

SFO-LIM
LIM-SCL
SCL-EZE
AEP-FTE
FTE-USH
USH-AEP-EZE-LIM-SFO

LAX-LIM-AQP-LIM-SCL-MDZ-EZE-GRU-(LAX??)

lan flights to fee and usb are from aep, not zee

From AEP you'd have to at least stop in SCL and they may allow AEP-GRU-LIM-LAX or AEP-GRU-SCL-LAX.

JFK - LIM/SCL - EZE - USH - FTE - AEP - IGR - LIM - JFK

JFK-LIM-EZE-SCL-IPC-SCL-EZE-IGR-LIM-JFK

JFK-LIM-IPC-SCL is ~8,300Mi JFK-SCL is ~5,100mi. Since your proposed route is more than 25% extra, I doubt that it will be allowed. The max trip that you can design for yourself while going JFK-SCL is under 6,400mi.

JFK - GYE - SCL - IPC
and IPC - SCL - GRU - LIM - JFK

1) MIA-LIM(if you want)/SLC-IPC on LAN 20K BA miles

2) IPC-SCL-GYE on LAN 12.5K BA miles

3) GYE-MIA-DEN on AA 20K BA miles

MIA/SFO/LAX-LIM-IPC 40K on J

IPC-SCL-MDZ(if you want)-AEP-IGR 25K on J

IGU-LIM-MIA/SFO/LAX 40K on J

LAX-LIM(stop)-IPC(stop)
IPC-SCL(stop)-EZE(stop)-LIM-JFK

MIA/LAX/SFO-SCL-GIG

GIG-SCL-GYE-BOG-MIA
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
OW Rant -- some logic some emotion

deleted

Last edited by aubreyfromwheaton; Sep 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm Reason: deleted will post as separate thread
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by jfkeze
I'm trying to go to Argentina but add an IPC destination... since its the same cost..

I know a JFK-SCL-IPC-SCL-EZE-LIM-JFK would be valid since its the same direction, but I'm trying to add the IPC on the return

JFK-SCL (conex)-EZE (stopover)-SCL-IPC(dest)-SCL-JFK...

would that be valid?
Pibe, let me give you a hand

You can try JFK-LIM-EZE(stopover)-SCL-IPC, then IPC-LIM-JFK, it will not be easy but it is possible and you may have to call them few times
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:01 pm

I am new in this LAN trip using BA or AA miles. Wondering how good is the availability for 4 seats? 2 adults and 2 children (5 and 6 yrs old). We never been to any of S.America so we are open to suggestion based on availability. We can do J or C if needed

Would love to go to Galapagos but since we have 2 small ones, we decided to skip it for later date. So now our target so far Easter (IPC), Machu Pichu (cuzco or lima), EZE and maybe squeeze in Patagonia? return we would like to hit RIO if possible

Since we are based in ATL, MIA will be our originating point. We have about 2 weeks to spend on this trip and enough BA miles to cover for the trip. If needed we can also do AA miles or SPG to cover missing connection back home.

Been reading alot of posting lately and overwhelm with the info. Many itins are designed for single or adult only, any one out there done similar trip with 2 kids in tow?

TIA,
S
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by sparkzone
I am new in this LAN trip using BA or AA miles. Wondering how good is the availability for 4 seats? 2 adults and 2 children (5 and 6 yrs old). We never been to any of S.America so we are open to suggestion based on availability. We can do J or C if needed

Would love to go to Galapagos but since we have 2 small ones, we decided to skip it for later date. So now our target so far Easter (IPC), Machu Pichu (cuzco or lima), EZE and maybe squeeze in Patagonia? return we would like to hit RIO if possible

Since we are based in ATL, MIA will be our originating point. We have about 2 weeks to spend on this trip and enough BA miles to cover for the trip. If needed we can also do AA miles or SPG to cover missing connection back home.

Been reading alot of posting lately and overwhelm with the info. Many itins are designed for single or adult only, any one out there done similar trip with 2 kids in tow?
4 award seats are hard to get - especially in the front cabins.

You are prepared to fly in J or C if necessary? This may be your only chance to get what you want given award seat (lack of) availability.

To do all of the places you mention would be a killer for you and the kids in 2 weeks. How about restricting it to 2 or 3 destinations at most. Perhaps IPC, EZE and CUZ. Remember that CUZ is at >3000 m altitude - to get the most out of CUZ and environs you need acclimatisation time - a few days at least before being adventurous with hiking. You need to take it easy to enjoy it.

Don't try to do everything in one trip - there is time next year and the year after to go back.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:52 am

Yes coach is fine I guess, dont mind splitting too. One of the reason to do this is because of coming BA devaluation. We might not have a shot again for a long time

Thank you for reminding about the high altitude CUZ, looks like we have to forget it as well. We crossed out Galapagos and Machu Pichu, my kids probably cant handle them and get bored anyway

So now we should be able to do more fun and some how relaxing stops? IPC, EZE, RIO... and the rest we can tag along based on availability and stops.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sparkzone
We crossed out Galapagos and Machu Pichu, my kids probably cant handle them and get bored anyway

So now we should be able to do more fun and some how relaxing stops? IPC, EZE, RIO... and the rest we can tag along based on availability and stops.
Before committing to IPC, I advise getting out a map and a timetable. My recollection from our trip there a few years back is that it was a 5+hour flight from Santiago each way. It's a great 3-night destination trip if you're flying J or are based in SCL, but otherwise it could very well turn out to be too much flying for kids....
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
Pibe, let me give you a hand

You can try JFK-LIM-EZE(stopover)-SCL-IPC, then IPC-LIM-JFK, it will not be easy but it is possible and you may have to call them few times
Hola & hello!

I am trying to do that very routing. I have found the business-class award seats using KVS (lifesaver!), but the two times I have called BA they tell me that it is too many miles for the award to be a standard award and that it can't be done. Any suggestions on what to say to the BA agents so that I can try and get this booked?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Hola & hello!

I am trying to do that very routing. I have found the business-class award seats using KVS (lifesaver!), but the two times I have called BA they tell me that it is too many miles for the award to be a standard award and that it can't be done. Any suggestions on what to say to the BA agents so that I can try and get this booked?

Thanks!

There is a limit, ask them about the Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM] for your itinerary (JFK to IPC) and play with those miles. I saw few IPC-SCL-EZE-US, just keep calling ^
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:26 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

I am trying to do that very routing. I have found the business-class award seats using KVS (lifesaver!)
Glad you're enjoying your KVS Tool membership!

but the two times I have called BA they tell me that it is too many miles for the award to be a standard award and that it can't be done. Any suggestions on what to say to the BA agents so that I can try and get this booked?
There is a limit, ask them about the Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM] for your itinerary (JFK to IPC) and play with those miles. I saw few IPC-SCL-EZE-US, just keep calling ^
That routing would require MPM+25% -- what are BAEC's MPM excess rules?

[KVS Availability Tool 6.7.0/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: JFK-LIM-EZE-SCL-IPC]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
NYC 1                                                           
LIM 1 WH  3651  3651  4381  WH  0M   730     0  5476     0      
BUE 1 WH  1951  5602  6361  WH  0M   759     0  7951     0      
SCL 1 WH   710  6312  6147  WH  5M   142   165  7683     0      
IPC 1 WH  2332  8644  7189  WH 25M   342    18  8986     0      
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
What about two one ways or just coming back as far as Miami then buying a hopefully cheap ticket from Miami to JFK?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
For anyone needing inspiration as we enter the final lap of one of the greatest FF awards of the present day, read on.

Last night it took me about 10 calls just to get into the BA phone queue -- it was the dreaded, 'our phones are busy, bugger off!' message. Then when I finally got through, the agent told me that the stopover had to be along the 'natural routing that LAN flies'. No amount of discussion could convince her otherwise.

Tried back this morning. Got through with minimal wait. And I was able to book:

MIA-LIM-IPC (destination)-SCL-EZE (stopover)-LIM-MIA for 2 in C.

Ironically, he even mentioned that he wasn't sure it would take this stopover since it wasn't on the normal route. But then he got it done anyway!

So if in doubt, just try again. And I wonder if the time of day makes a difference? I've always had better service in the morning.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:44 pm

I am trying to book something like the MIA-LIM-IPC IPC-SCL-EZE-MIA route as well.

Is it OK to use LANPERU for the MIA-LIM route or is that considered a different airline than LAN?

Last edited by FlyingBoat; Nov 9, 2011 at 1:02 am
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I am trying to book something like the MIA-LIM-IPC IPC-SCL-EZE-MIA route as well.

Is it OK to use LANPERU for the MIA-LIM route or is that considered a different airline than LAN?
Pretty sure they are the same airline for this purpose.

ANyone have any comment if this is a valid routing? TIA!

LGA-MIA-SCL(Stopover)-IPC ; IPC-SCL-EZE(Stopover)-MIA-LGA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.