Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

mileage advice - LONE4 - where to credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:05 am
Original Poster

So, I need OW expert's advice on the strategy in crediting my LONE4 miles.

Some here are some facts about me:
* LA Comodoro - Emerald (LA flights earn 100% bonus km - but unsure if L class earns 100% within South America)
* LONE segments total to about 50K miles with 5 AA segments, 6 LA segments, 3 CX (do not earn on AA advantage), and 1 JL and QF
* nobody at AA
* based in YUL and ICN
* get closer to requalifying emerald status

While based on these facts, some may think it's a no brainer to credit all segments to LA, one must realize significant deterioration that happened to the LANPASS few months ago!!!

Furthermore, now being based in YUL, AA program may suit me better (I was status matched to top tier at LA this year and this is why I credited my DONE4 that I completed earlier this year to LANPASS).

Since there is soft landing in LANPASS, I will have at least sapphire status until 2012 March 31st (I requalified for Comodoro for next year), but I want to credit miles to a program that has good earn to burn ratio.

Should I do AA Plat challenge for and get plat status early on and credit all LONE4 to AA or continue on with LANPASS? OR Credit AA segments to AA (which comes upto around 24K miles) and rest to LANPASS?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:35 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by brahms77
So, I need OW expert's advice on the strategy in crediting my LONE4 miles.

Some here are some facts about me:
* LA Comodoro - Emerald (LA flights earn 100% bonus km - but unsure if L class earns 100% within South America)
* LONE segments total to about 50K miles with 5 AA segments, 6 LA segments, 3 CX (do not earn on AA advantage), and 1 JL and QF
* nobody at AA
* based in YUL and ICN
* get closer to requalifying emerald status

While based on these facts, some may think it's a no brainer to credit all segments to LA, one must realize significant deterioration that happened to the LANPASS few months ago!!!

Furthermore, now being based in YUL, AA program may suit me better (I was status matched to top tier at LA this year and this is why I credited my DONE4 that I completed earlier this year to LANPASS).

Since there is soft landing in LANPASS, I will have at least sapphire status until 2012 March 31st (I requalified for Comodoro for next year), but I want to credit miles to a program that has good earn to burn ratio.

Should I do AA Plat challenge for and get plat status early on and credit all LONE4 to AA or continue on with LANPASS? OR Credit AA segments to AA (which comes upto around 24K miles) and rest to LANPASS?
Does your RTW itinerary (or other travel plans outside the RTW) comprise the ability to use AA codes (either AA metal or AA codeshares on other airlines) to the tune of 10,000 EQP (not EQM) over a 3-month period? ("L" earns 1 EQP/Mi.) If so, then the AA Plat challenge will work for you. If not, then any crediting to AA will only be on EQM basis, and you'll need 50K EQM to get to AA Plat. You also technically need 4 AA metal flights to get to Plat but AA doesn't enforce that as stringently as other airlines.

Based in YUL it sounds like you could handle the 4 segments easily; the 10K EQP shouldn't be too big an issue if much of your travel is within N. America, but it depends.... Remember, once Plat, you get a 100% mileage bonus on AA, LA, IB, CX, QF and AS flights (actual mileage credit depends on fare bucket on IB, CX and QF) so you can build up balances pretty quickly.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Remember, once Plat, you get a 100% mileage bonus on AA, LA, IB, CX, QF and AS flights (actual mileage credit depends on fare bucket on IB, CX and QF) so you can build up balances pretty quickly.
This sounds great! I think 'L' on LA segments earn 100% RDM so I won't be so sad to lose my comodoro 100% bonus on LA flights! Since CX flights in L don't earn anything on AA, I guess those are the only segments I should put towards to LANPASS.

I have NRT-DFW-YUL planned for January and possibly in February, I could swing something to get additional EQP or EQM to reach 10K EQP/EQM to complete Plat challenge. Indeed, 200 USD fee is a bit hefty, but it would be nice to have AA status where mileage earn and burn rate is better than LANPASS.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:20 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by brahms77
Since CX flights in L don't earn anything on AA, I guess those are the only segments I should put towards to LANPASS.
Yes but if the CX flights are bookable using AA codes (which many are) then you could use them for the Plat Challenge too. Depends on your itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.