Wiki Posts
Search

Backup OneWorld Program: Qantas or BA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Backup OneWorld Program: Qantas or BA?

Hello all. I am based in NYC, and generally fly domestic, but I also travel outside the US 1-2x every month.

For the past few years, AA has been my chosen oneworld program. In just the past few months, I have flown AA, Qantas, BA, Mexicana and JAL, with all points going to AA.

But, a few times this year, I had to use my Qantas FF# for BA flights where AA also ran the same route, which of course were not points eligible on AA,...ie, NYC to London.

So, since I'm sure there are others here who face the same issue from time to time, I was curious which program people use as a oneworld backup, and why...Qantas or BA?

I do not currently have a point balance in BA, whereas I have about 50K in my Qantas FF. Going forward though, I would consider making BA my backup instead and then using the Qantas points before they expire. For the sake of this argument, I don't consider the current Qantas points a deal breaker in moving over to BA.

Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:21 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Jack Burton
Hello all. I am based in NYC, and generally fly domestic, but I also travel outside the US 1-2x every month.

For the past few years, AA has been my chosen oneworld program. In just the past few months, I have flown AA, Qantas, BA, Mexicana and JAL, with all points going to AA.

But, a few times this year, I had to use my Qantas FF# for BA flights where AA also ran the same route, which of course were not points eligible on AA,...ie, NYC to London.

So, since I'm sure there are others here who face the same issue from time to time, I was curious which program people use as a oneworld backup, and why...Qantas or BA?

I do not currently have a point balance in BA, whereas I have about 50K in my Qantas FF. Going forward though, I would consider making BA my backup instead and then using the Qantas points before they expire. For the sake of this argument, I don't consider the current Qantas points a deal breaker in moving over to BA.

Thanks.
Welcome to FT!

Is your aim to accumulate points/miles mainly for redemptions, or is attaining elite status an additional objective? Reason being, BA is more likely to enforce its requirement of 4 annual flights on BA metal (AA has the same requirement, but loosely enforced if at all.) I believe Qantas does too but am not sure how relevant 4 QF-metal flights annually would be for you.

If as you say your travel is mainly domestic, one benefit of BA elite status (Silver or higher) is that you'd get complimentary access to AA Admirals Clubs on domestic AA itineraries.

Another option, depending on the nature of your domestic travel, is a little counter-intuitive for NYC flyers, but Alaska's FF program is very highly rated, and AS has earn/burn relationships with AA, QF, CX, LA and BA in Oneworld, but also strong relationships with AF, DL, and KL. You can book elite qualifying miles, segments and points to AA on AS metal, or EQM to an AS account on AA, DL, LA and AF/KL flights. It's a very attractive program for AA flyers who want to circumvent the silly prohibitions on AA/BA for US < > UK flights, and still want something useful for domestic travel too.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:13 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
As Gardyloo said, it depends on what you're trying to get out of your backup program.

I use AA mainly, then send excess to CX. This works for me because any AA fare classes Q and above earn 100% on CX and getting mid-tier will give me free lounge access on domestic trips in the US. And not just Admiral's Clubs, but any OW lounges.

And the long oneworld award redemptions are very reasonable through CX.

So, it really depends on what you're trying to get out of the second program.

Oh also for QF/BA, I think they have an own-metal segment minimum (4?), that they enforce, unlike AA and CX. Consider those restrictions as well.

And oh yeah - welcome to FT!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:37 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
... one benefit of BA elite status (Silver or higher) is that you'd get complimentary access to AA Admirals Clubs on domestic AA itineraries...
Although the same is true for QF Gold or higher. See my lounge wizard for that.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by imagineertobe
Although the same is true for QF Gold or higher. See my lounge wizard for that.
I think it's true for all OW Sapphire and Emeralds, right (except AA)?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
I think it's true for all OW Sapphire and Emeralds, right (except AA)?
Yep, any non-AA OW Sapphire or Emerald can access any OW lounge when flying any OW carrier.

If only the rule could be so elegantly stated for AA...
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by imagineertobe

If only the rule could be so elegantly stated for AA...
Any AA sapphire can access any OW lounge when flying any OW carrier except when on solely North American itineraries.*

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...onalPassengers

*North America is defined as U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Question on this after reading a few of the posts above:
Let's say AA is your primary card - you reach EXP and then decide to reach lets say silver status on BA as a back-up. Now reading the threads above a couple say that you do this to enable lounge access in the US. What is the situation though if I book a flight lets say JFK - MIA on AA metal with an AA number - do I need to have my BA card number entered for that booking to gain access to the AC, or do you still use your AA number - i.e. chance of upgrade, bonus miles etc and just present your BA card at AC for access - surely that would not be allowed? Just curious!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Any AA sapphire can access any OW lounge when flying any OW carrier except when on solely North American itineraries.*

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...onalPassengers

*North America is defined as U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
Hehe, gotta love that simplicity, eh? No wonder there are so many "do I get access?" posts here!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Let's say AA is your primary card - you reach EXP and then decide to reach lets say silver status on BA as a back-up. Now reading the threads above a couple say that you do this to enable lounge access in the US. What is the situation though if I book a flight lets say JFK - MIA on AA metal with an AA number - do I need to have my BA card number entered for that booking to gain access to the AC, or do you still use your AA number - i.e. chance of upgrade, bonus miles etc and just present your BA card at AC for access - surely that would not be allowed? Just curious!
I would assume so, yes. Why?

I used to be a PLT and got access when traveling internationally based on my status. But then I went down to GLD and got a Qantas Club membership. I don't have to add my QC number to my ITN, just as long as I give them my QC card on checkin. ^
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
I had no problems doing that although I was on an redemption booking using AA miles, with AA GLD number on reservation and printed on boarding pass. I entered the MIA AC by just showing my BA silver card.
Wouldn't think it's any different for regular bookings though.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
A few years ago I certainly never had a problem earning miles to the AA programme but using my CX Diamond card just at the reception of the lounge to gain entry.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Jack Burton

Thanks.
Just go for the program which gives you status easily with the fares you fly. QF status is very easy to get if you fly in (paid) premium cabins. CX might be easier when flying in the back. I would not go for BA unless you really fly BA a lot.

No, you can have your AA number in the booking. Just when you get to the lounge, show your boarding pass and your QF/CX/LA/BA etc. card and you will be fine.

If you want to credit to our second program and still benefit from some of the benefits you get from AA status, then book and check in with your AA number and only change to your secondary program at the gate.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
CX might be easier when flying in the back. I would not go for BA unless you really fly BA a lot.
Only for AA, really. CX is much more restrictive for Y on other carriers (even on CX itself).

And actually there is a "loophole" to earning miles on O-fares on AA as well. If you get upgraded from O, then you also get 100%. So, with some advance planning, you can usually get full credit from AA on CX for any paid fare.

But CX is not good if the OP plans on flying BA/QF in deep discount Y. Though, that's a losing battle in any OW program, really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.