Wiki Posts
Search

Help with choosing and buying *ONE*

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Question Help with choosing and buying *ONE*

I’ve been spending waaay too much time reading old threads, checking for updates to current discussions, and trying to digest the oneworld rules. There is a veritable snowdrift of index cards covered with three-letter codes, copies of great circle route maps, and empty Diet Pepsi cans covering my kitchen table and environs. I’d better get with it if I’m to make a purchase (or several) before the sale ends. Seems the more I read, the more I find I’ve come to some erroneous conclusions.
One thing I would like to clarify is the earning of miles to qualify for elite status. I’ve seen the chart that gives the LONE* earning, but none for D or A. I have thus deduced you must earn one mile for every one flown on all carriers. There’s a link (I’m pretty sure in the stickie of useful links) that refers back to an AA page that outlines “elite status bonus miles”. It’s not very clear, but I’m thinking the bonus miles are for pax who hold elite status, but the actual miles bonused are redeemable, not EQM. Is this correct?
My FFP is AA, and thanks to many fellow FTers, I’m EXP. I have plenty of AA miles, and actually about 250K with United, that I could use to get where I need to be to start the trip. Of course, I’d rather purchase a ticket and earn some more miles, lol.
My goals are:
(1) maximize miles to re-qualify for status for 2011,
(2) start somewhere other than my home country (US) both to take advantage of better prices and to break up the trip so I can work. I can be gone often, but not for long,
(3) try to wrap my mind around maybe purchasing two or more tickets—I’ve seen this mentioned, and wonder if anyone’s mixed alliances even,
(4) settle on class of service—probably “D”. I could handle “L” and buy twice as many RTWs for the same money (I am here to tell the survival tale of ORD-PVG and back in economy). I could upgrade AA segments with an L fare, but I think if EQMs are earned in “D” or “A” (and to be more comfortable, I admit) I’m leaning toward “D”. “A” would be nice, but I don’t want to worry about paying for something that may not be available on many flights,
(5) and, of course, see the world.
Here’s my latest incarnation of a *ONE3. I’m willing to add continents if starting elsewhere is preferable. And can anyone clue me in on what taxes and fees to expect, and how best to minimize? I’m coachable, and really appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Origin: WAW (pl); ex-WAW xONEx Fare Estimate
1: WAW-LHR: 1st of 4 (Europe)
2: LHR-LAX: 1st of 1 (intercontinental entry to North America without immediate transit & departure)
3: LAX-SJU: 1st of 1 (North America Transcon)
*3: LAX-SJU: 1st of 6 (North America)
4: SJU-DFW: 2nd of 6 (North America)
5: DFW-ANC: 3rd of 6 (North America)
6: ANC-DFW: 4th of 6 (North America)
7: DFW-JFK: 5th of 6 (North America)
8: JFK-HKG: 1st of 1 (intercontinental entry to Asia without immediate transit & departure)
9: HKG-DEL: 1st of 4 (Asia)
10: DEL-NRT: 2nd of 4 (Asia)
11: NRT-DPS: 3rd of 4 (Asia)
12: DPS-NRT: 4th of 4 (Asia)
13: NRT-LHR: intercontinental
14: LHR-MCT: 2nd of 4 (Europe)
15: MCT-LHR: 3rd of 4 (Europe)
16: LHR-WAW: 4th of 4 (Europe)
Congratulations!! Valid itinerary!!! - (54573 miles)

Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:54 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I'd think carefully about an AONEx as A seems a threatened species on many carriers. D is a certainty.

L will be problematic for last minute changes as it sells out quickly. D may be best for a flexible set of dates (but YMMV).

LHR-LAX will be on BA. Can you earn AA points on this sector?

DFW-ANC is summer seasonal (forget about winter). Even in AA F on the 757, this is not a pleasant experience for 7 hrs.

JFK-HKG will be on CX. Even on the AA code-share, can you use AA points to upgrade if you choose L class? I don't know whether you can use AA points to upgrade on CX.

Move quickly as I suspect the cheap origin countries have good business. Make sure you are aware of the rules for changing the first sector.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:28 am
tt7

Originally Posted by og
Yes - if you take the AA flight ....

Originally Posted by og
JFK-HKG will be on CX. Even on the AA code-share, can you use AA points to upgrade if you choose L class?
No.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by og
I'd think carefully about an AONEx as A seems a threatened species on many carriers. D is a certainty.

DFW-ANC is summer seasonal (forget about winter). Even in AA F on the 757, this is not a pleasant experience for 7 hrs.

JFK-HKG will be on CX. Even on the AA code-share, can you use AA points to upgrade if you choose L class? I don't know whether you can use AA points to upgrade on CX.
Much of your routing has no A class so stick to D. If you use AA across the ocean you can upgrade to F that way, although we wont get into the debate on whether AA F is better than CX J...

LHR-LAX can be done on AA metal.

DFW-ANC as above, but same applies in terms of discomfort to LAX-SJU, in fact that one's a little longer.

JFK-HKG cannot be upgraded with AA miles.

As an AAdvantage member try to get the codeshares when you can, as this will get you your double redeemable miles as an EXP. Note that BA and JL don't give you any elite bonus for AA. And as you know, no AA credit for BA from LHR to anywhere in the USA (Canada, Caribbean OK).

Also of very important note: BA flights booked in L earn 25% EQM. L doesn't show as an earning class on CX at all. 70% on JL. So D may be the only way to get your full miles. Note that codeshares with an AA flight would earn full EQM and Double RDM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
If after status, crediting to Qantas Frequent Flyer on DONEx with that routing should earn 1840 SC's wich easily earns Platinum (Emerald).
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
oops - sorry - I'd only really ever considered that BA would be the option (in Biz or F anyway)
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
If after status, crediting to Qantas Frequent Flyer on DONEx with that routing should earn 1840 SC's wich easily earns Platinum (Emerald).
Except he'd be missing the 4 requisite QF flights. Can do BA Gold as a EuroCheat and the 4 BA flights are there.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
OK, a couple of suggestions...

For maximizing miles in D this looks good.

For maximizing miles in A I would recommend making some changes for comfort. Change your DPS-NRT/NRT-LHR to DPS-HKG/HKG-LHR and fly CX F on the HKG-LHR leg.

To add some extra miles and a wonderful resort stay, during your HKG stopover book a side trip in J on KA non-stop HKG-HKT which runs about $900-1000 and will get you an additional 4300 EQPs. Note: make sure to book this through KA, not CX. CX's prices are much higher.

No matter what you choose, I would tend to want to avoid the ANC-DFW return. Another option would be to take an Alaska cruise from ANC-YVR and then fly YVR-JFK on CX instead of ANC-DFW-JFK. The only down side to this is you would have to scratch SJU, and it may mess with your plans for breaking up your trip and returning to ICT. Of course this change would result in a significant reduction of mileage earned.

A suggestion for making some easy and less costly EQPs to make up the difference for you to reach EXP. Fly AS in F to HNL from DFW or ORD r/t for about $1600 which gets you 13014 EQPs (from DFW).

Your current itin gets you about 81860 before any of the changes above. HKG-HKT r/t adds another 4300 EQPs and DFW-HNL gets you 13014 EQPs which is darn close to 100K.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:26 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Flying in D (A on domestic AA 2-class routes) you'll earn around 82K EQP on your itinerary if all done in one calendar year. If you fly on a 1 EQP/Mi fare to and from WAW, e.g. ICT-DFW-LHR-WAW (using AA codes on BA connecting flights) that will come to another 12K EQP or so, i.e., you'll be at around 94K EQP by trip's end. Virtually any other flying outside the RTW ought to put you to EXP, whether or not there are double EQM promos in the meantime. When flying in premium cabins, think EQP, not EQM.

I guess I disagree on DFW-ANC (now also ORD.) Yes, the 757 FC seats are not the best, but they're plenty wide and okay for what is basically a longish transcon. As for LAX-SJU, who knows, maybe it'll get a 75L at some point. Remember LAX-SJU doesn't book into A as none of AA's Caribbean, Central American, or Canadian routes do so.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
L will be problematic for last minute changes as it sells out quickly. D may be best for a flexible set of dates (but YMMV).
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
Much of your routing has no A class so stick to D. If you use AA across the ocean you can upgrade to F that way, although we wont get into the debate on whether AA F is better than CX J...

D it is. Agree, this is already complex enough (for me at least) that looking for A availability just too much hassle.
Re LHR-LAX; back in the day when I was a TWA FA, that was one of LAX's 3 international flights. Even though it's not the same airline, I'd like to do it for old time's sake.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
OK, a couple of suggestions...

For maximizing miles in D this looks good.

To add some extra miles and a wonderful resort stay, during your HKG stopover book a side trip in J on KA non-stop HKG-HKT which runs about $900-1000 and will get you an additional 4300 EQPs. Note: make sure to book this through KA, not CX. CX's prices are much higher.

A suggestion for making some easy and less costly EQPs to make up the difference for you to reach EXP. Fly AS in F to HNL from DFW or ORD r/t for about $1600 which gets you 13014 EQPs (from DFW).

Your current itin gets you about 81860 before any of the changes above. HKG-HKT r/t adds another 4300 EQPs and DFW-HNL gets you 13014 EQPs which is darn close to 100K.
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Flying in D (A on domestic AA 2-class routes) you'll earn around 82K EQP on your itinerary if all done in one calendar year. If you fly on a 1 EQP/Mi fare to and from WAW, e.g. ICT-DFW-LHR-WAW (using AA codes on BA connecting flights) that will come to another 12K EQP or so, i.e., you'll be at around 94K EQP by trip's end. Virtually any other flying outside the RTW ought to put you to EXP, whether or not there are double EQM promos in the meantime. When flying in premium cabins, think EQP, not EQM.

I guess I disagree on DFW-ANC (now also ORD.) Yes, the 757 FC seats are not the best, but they're plenty wide and okay for what is basically a longish transcon. As for LAX-SJU, who knows, maybe it'll get a 75L at some point. Remember LAX-SJU doesn't book into A as none of AA's Caribbean, Central American, or Canadian routes do so.

I actually do want to go to Alaska. Wish I could squeeze it in by March for the Iditarod, but reckon the flight doesn't operate then, plus I'm not starting the trip until Feb, so probably June. (Got Rio in Nov, NFR in LAS in Dec, and DisneyWorld in Jan!!) Phuket sounds good, 'tho I'm not familiar with KA. IIRC a CX affiliate you cannot use on *ONE*, but OK for accrual with other fares?

Duh! (forehead slap) POINTS. I have been so focused on miles that I've never considered points or segments, and I will henceforth consider value of a biz fare. Once embarked on one pathway to achieve status, one has to stay the course, right? In other words, can't apply half enough points and half enough miles to total a status level (given accrued on different flights, of course). I'm going to review the terms of the AAdvantage program, digest all the info in your posts, and probably be back with questions.
Thanks to all of you for some amazingly great suggestions. The knowledge here astonishes me anew every day!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
DFW-ANC is seasonal service running early May through mid September. FWIW, I'll be on the June 11 DFW-ANC flight.

While I was suggesting you purchase a separate HKG-HKT ticket, which would earn miles; KA, Dragon Air, flights are allowed on all oneworld products including ONE and CIR fares as noted below from the Technical Rules Sheet:
Fares only apply on any AA/AY/BA/CX/IB/JC/JL/JO/KA/LA/LP/MA/NU/QF/RJ/XL/4M flights
IME, A Class is only really important for the long haul flights including TPAC, TATL, Asia-Euro, and Euro-ME, and those are pretty much the only flights for which A class is always available (on your AONEx). Yes, you will find the arbitrary route on some shorter segments like BKK-HKG, ICN-HKG, and/or HKG/NRT. Now if Africa is included in an AONE4+ then SWP/Euro-Africa are also flights where F is nice. Now I will qualify this comment on the fact that I am 6'3"/190cm and 260lbs/120kg and a first class bed that is 78"+ pitch and 21"+ wide (36" on CX) is a huge plus IMO. Hence the reason I suggested your switch to CX HKG-LHR if you choose an AONE3. Food is much better too.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Oct 27, 2009 at 3:36 pm
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'd still go for F (A, really). You've got some really good flights in there, -- JFK-HKG, LHR-LAX. You could make some changes and optimize F cabin flights, too. On a flight like JFK-HKG, CX F is incredible and well worth sampling.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Yikes, time running out!

Time really does fly. Thought I had plenty of time to book, and now down to the wire. Story of my life. Questions: I would like to book this with Poland price, obviously. I would like AA to be ticketing carrier if possible. Can I do this? I understand AA has a GSA in Poland. What is that, can they ticket, and how do I contact? Or would I be just as well off with booking online and taking whatever ticketing carrier pops up? I understand carrier can make huge difference in fees.
Am also thinking of buying second *ONE* from SA. I understand someone/thing called Mindpearl can do this. I googled same and found a rather mysterious sounding company that does "outsourced client communication solutions" (??). Would that be the company? Should I e-mail them, fax, call?

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
FWIW, I'll be on the June 11 DFW-ANC flight.
It would be really neat if I could say a personal thanks. That date might work!

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'd still go for F (A, really). You've got some really good flights in there, -- JFK-HKG, LHR-LAX. You could make some changes and optimize F cabin flights, too. On a flight like JFK-HKG, CX F is incredible and well worth sampling.
Tempting....I could always say the devil made me do it.

Thanks all for help to date. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:22 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
HURRY!

You may have run out of time so that the on-line source is your best option. More on that in a min.

Phone the AA RTW desk, set up the trip for ticketing in Poland. You will need to have dates ready, even if they're dummy dates at this point.

Once it's set, they need to send it off to their rates people in Dublin for computation of the taxes etc., which normally requires 24h. Once it's priced you then contact the AA GSA in Poland, Tal Aviation - contact info at http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/where...ckets/main.jsp. Tal can then process your credit card or other payment means.

THE PROBLEM is that Tal is only open M-F, and as the ticketing deadline for the discount is coming up, you may not have time to get the fare AND communicate with Tal before it turns into a pumpkin (ha ha.) ASK the RTW desk if you can get the price pronto, giving enough time to phone Poland TOMORROW.

If that doesn't work, then you'll have to use the online tool, risk higher fuel surcharges (taxes won't be different) etc. Try if possible to use the AA codeshare on WAW-LHR to see if the robot will let AA do the ticketing. You'll need to be transiting LHR and departing on AA metal for that to work, if it does. Otherwise BA will be the ticketing airline and welcome to their fuel fines, which may all but erase the 10% ticket savings. If you stop over in LHR (> 24h) then the AA code won't work on WAW-LHR, plus you'll have to pay the UK APD - ouch.

(Don't know if using the AA code on the first flight will work with the machine - it might see the world differently.)

Best of luck.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

OK, I've called the RTW desk and submitted my itin. Agent mentioned several times I had to personally appear in Warsaw to buy it. It has been submitted for pricing and I should know tomorrow. Just for interest, I plugged in to the online booker and the price is (BA first carrier) PLN 19,049.23 of which 3646.23 is taxes and fees. About 25% it looks like. (Total in USD is $6681.65. It will be interesting to see what, if any, difference there is with the Warsaw origen. Will keep you posted.
Any advice re Mindpearl? Is that another case of call RTW, get pricing, then contact Mindpearl?
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.