Search

Which island for quiet getaway?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Which island for quiet getaway?

I'm considering a short 4-8 day getaway to the south pacific (but not to bali or philipines). Places like Fiji, New Caledonia, Whitsundays. Looking for peace, quiet, high quality isolation (no phones, tv, etc.). Dont care about amenities too much (golf, scuba, etc.) but swimming is a must, as well as reliably good weather. Price is unlimited but want value for money. Any advice of what hotel or island to consider.

So far what I've looked at is very confusing and all over the place:

Qualia on Hamilton Island (Whitsundays): $1000/day and luxurious but unclear that the high price gives more than exclusivity and snob appeal.

Westin Denarau in Fiji: $1000 for 1 week including airfare (yes, that range from Qualia!). 5-star Westin but not really a resort and somewhat high density. Never left airport at Nadi before, but haven't been too impressed with what I saw of the airport .

Heron Island: sold out on my dates

New Caledonia: very confusing as several 4* hotels that I looked at are in a "complex" with 2* and 3* hotels sharing the same facilities (restaurant/pool) -- which is great for those staying at 2* but at expense of the 4* guests.

I'm originating in Australia for this trip, in terms of distance. That rules out Tahiti, for example (or makes it less desirable).
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
If price is not a problem - what about Lizard Island ? Much nicer than Qualia - and I'm just not a fan of Hamilton Island in any event.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ozzie
If price is not a problem - what about Lizard Island ? Much nicer than Qualia - and I'm just not a fan of Hamilton Island in any event.
I was just about to suggest that. I haven't been there yet but I'll be spending a day there next month and it looks great.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Hi number_6 and welcome to OZ! Good to have such an esteemed Flyertalker down here. If you are in SYD and want to meet for brekki or so let me know.

Some thoughts around your question:

If you consider New Caledonia, then there only is one real option IMHO: Ile des Pins. And there the Le Meridien which has very nice bungalows. Very quiet and some of them are also very private. A bit of a hassle to get there. Fly to Tontouta, transfer to Mangenta (50km) and then board a prop plane to the Island. You will then be picked up by the hotel bus.

Then of course there are the Australian Islands and I would have a look at some of the Voyages Resorts. http://www.voyages.com.au/
Lizard Island is one of their properties but there are some other nice ones as well.

Another idea is Vanuatu. Not too far and underdeveloped. However, the islands saw a whole new range of small but luxurious accommodation open in the last 12 months. Check out http://vanuatu.travel and their accommodation listing.

And finally, here is what I would to if I were you:

Lord Howe Island. An absolute gem in the Pacific and the most wonderful place I have ever been to. There is no mobile phone reception on the island but you will find a TV somewhere. The place is magical and will take your breath away. No more than 300 tourists are allowed on the island at any one point and you will only be able to board a plane if you have accommodation.

The property to chose is the Capella Lodge. It is run by the Baillie's who have done a fantastic job with this lodge. However, it is currently closed for a complete renovation and will only open in August. The alternative is the Arajilla retreat which is also very nice but not quite as spectacular.
Flying to LDH is quite expensive and is a good use of QFF Points.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Some ideas

Lord Howe Island
Aitutaki (additional short flight required from Rarotonga)
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:27 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Lizard island is actually slightly cheaper than Qualia right now (at least for the dates I checked). Interesting; it does look stunning.

Checking out Lord Howe Island now. Availability is tight.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Never would have thought to look at LDH on my own, love this forum.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
If you want peace/quiet and something different, consider stopping in Tonga for a day on the way home.

Last time I was in Australia for work, I took the scenic route back to the US. I flew from Nadi to Nukualofa in the morning, and caught an Air New Zealand flight to the US in the evening. Rent a car -- you could spend a day and, outside of Nukualofa town itself, not see another car, or even a traffic sign for the entire day.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Just an update, this trip wound up going to Westin Denerau in Fiji; which is an excellent Hawaiian style resort (probably the best in Fiji but aside from the staff and some decor touches it could be anywhere in the world). Good for what I wanted but not something I would normally recommend for an island vacation.

Now considering Vanuatu in August 2010; seems ideal but concerned about weather that month (I think LDH is not reliably warm enough in August, but is Vanuatu?). Also seems like white sand beaches exist in Vanuatu (at least one resort is named that!) but most resorts are on cliffs and "lagoon view" which suggests no beach. Any thoughts on Vanuatu? I'm looking for peace, quiet, privacy, sun, sand and of course good food. Amenities are not needed (golf, scuba diving, tennis, horses, etc.).
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, and I know that you've already been and gone with your trip, but if you want something quiet and unique for next time, Sweers Island is where you want to be. It's in the middle of nowhere, and unless you're a fisherman or someone that likes to sit around watching the sunset, there's not a whole lot to do - by my lord it's beautiful

Sweers Island has miles of golden beaches, blue waters, a wealth of history, and a huge variety of bird life. Although it is a fisherman's paradise, it offers enjoyment for the whole family.

Sweers is located in Australia's southern Gulf of Carpentaria approximately 30 km off the coast, directly north of Burketown.

The island is surrounded by acres of rock reef, with some coral, much of which has never seen a fishing line. You can fly-fish off the beach or troll from the boat. We cater for keen fishing groups and families. You're welcome to visit for the day or stay as long as you wish.

There is also bird watching, bush walking and you can also swim off the miles of sandy beaches.

Because fuel prices (one of our major costs) have stabilised, we are able to keep the 2010 tariff at AuD$310 per person, per night; this includes all meals, accommodation and boats - excellent value! There is a licensed bar and prices are comparable with those on the mainland.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you dannyr, that is exactly the kind of info that I am looking for. Anything more tropical and a bit more posh?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:50 am

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by number_6
Now considering Vanuatu in August 2010; seems ideal but concerned about weather that month (I think LDH is not reliably warm enough in August, but is Vanuatu?). Also seems like white sand beaches exist in Vanuatu (at least one resort is named that!) but most resorts are on cliffs and "lagoon view" which suggests no beach. Any thoughts on Vanuatu? I'm looking for peace, quiet, privacy, sun, sand and of course good food. Amenities are not needed (golf, scuba diving, tennis, horses, etc.).
hi number_6. I am not a highly experienced 5 star resort traveler but I grew up in Vanuatu, have been back there in the last 5 years or so, and also recently vacationed in LDH.

Vanuatu is a nice spot but I don't think you'll find the "experience" much different to any other tropical resort anywhere in the world. Also, and as much as it pains me to say it, we found that when we did get out and about the locals were very much focused on how much money they could extract from us. It was nice to see the place again but it also disappointed.

On the other hand I thoroughly enjoyed LDH. The island population is totally geared to tourists without being exploitative and there is a wide range of accommodation alternatives to suit most tastes. The weather was pleasantly warm (25-28) however it will definitely be cooler in August.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:53 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks, I noticed the flurry of development in the last decade and was wondering about that aspect of Vanuatu. Also isn't it tied to the Euro (so expensive)? LDH is number one on my list, just have to manage to get there when the weather is warm. For this trip need a nice island that is warm in August. Currently considering Maldives and Sri Lanka; the former seems expensive and poor value, the latter is ... adventurous. Not quite sure about the public safety situation there, though I suppose the Tamil Tigers are over.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by dannyr
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, and I know that you've already been and gone with your trip, but if you want something quiet and unique for next time, Sweers Island is where you want to be. It's in the middle of nowhere, and unless you're a fisherman or someone that likes to sit around watching the sunset, there's not a whole lot to do - by my lord it's beautiful
No stingers there?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
As far as I know there's no stinger issues at Sweers, no
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by dannyr
As far as I know there's no stinger issues at Sweers, no
Sounds good, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.