Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney areas where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by prspad
I guess that a possible explanation is in order... Her mother, my spouse, is a career LAPD official and mentored our daughters. Even though my 21 y/o is a ballet dancer and easy on the eyes, she tends to walk differently in the Cross then when she's in the CBD! Especially when she may be approached by street players, Libertarian Facists and the Like!

Meh, I've already got a ballet dancer.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
I Met A Girl Who Danced In King's Cross.......

First she'd dance on one leg, then she'd dance on the other.
Between the two, she made a good living!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:50 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Boom boom!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Bondi sleazier than Kings Cross?

Sure, you get plenty of what we yanks'd call guidos there (think wobs), but they're relatively harmless.

As a tourist, unfortunately, I'd stay in the CBD, especially being carless.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Bondi sleazier than Kings Cross?

Sure, you get plenty of what we yanks'd call guidos there (think wobs), but they're relatively harmless.

As a tourist, unfortunately, I'd stay in the CBD, especially being carless.
Yeh, you know it's funny I know 3 people who have been put in hospital after being bashed by a gang, all in Bondi, I don't know anyone who has had any trouble in the Cross.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by adampenrith
the main hotels are in either Kings Cross - sleazy night life but interesting shops and places to eat and drink as well,.
Uh, main hotels in Kings Cross? Now which would those be exactly?

While there are still lots of backpacker places in the Cross, there really isn't much in the way of hotels left, let alone "main hotels". After the 2000 Olympics, many of the hotels in the Cross eventually got converted to condos (the Millenium, the Gazebo, the Rex, and on and on). While the Holiday Inn Kings Cross still exists, most of the other hotels (main or not) remaining in the area would be better described as in Potts Point.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by ojala
We visit Sydney for the first time in March and stayed in the CBD. I think it was a great choice for the first visit, easy to walk to the bridge, botanical gardens and opera house, and some shopping nearby.

We will be in Sydney again in late January and I would like to stay in some other area. What would be an active area to stay in? Restaurants, areas to stroll around, perhaps something extra to see would be nice.
I suspect this thread has not left you too enlightened as to where to stay. The sleaze in the Cross definitely exists but is rather modest and contained; it is tamer than San Francisco or London, as points of comparison. And a block later there are interesting neighbourhoods, good for walking. I chose to stay at Woolloomoolloo Bay for this reason (so that is one choice, out of the CBD but next to it). Sydney has lots of hotels but they are not very good outside of the CBD and tourist areas. The hotels at the beaches are generally a big disappointment, for example; certainly Bondi would not be my choice as a place to stay though it is fine for lunch. Just be aware that in the suburbs the hotels are not so good, and maybe a B&B is a better choice (but hard to find good ones).
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
I suspect this thread has not left you too enlightened as to where to stay. ..
Well put ;-) I think we will play it easy and stay in the CDB & neighbourhoods and explore the city a bit further with the public transport.

I once lived at the corner of red light district in Amsterdam so I doubt King's Cross would be any shocking..
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Hey all, I wonder if the OP is self-restricting to HH/SPG (or other) chains or is just interested in what is out there.

I suppose FT is ALL and ONLY about miles & points.
However the regional forums like this one are fairly OT in the sense they focus on the destination.

Hence, why not consider the Taj's Blue Sydney (ex Dubya for a few years)?

As an ex-resident of the area I agree this area can be a handy spot if the OP wants to live the cafe and nightclubber life like some locals. Though it's probably WAY OT, the GLBT FTers probably have a wealth of info on the area, too. Just search Sydney there and you might also find something.

How about the hotel down at Rushcutters Bay? Is it still running or has it also been converted?

If the OP is around for a while, there is the serviced apartment option as so many places like the Gazebo (Sebel etc) and others are ex-hotels. If that is an option you have the option to metaphorically sleep in the bed of The Beatles.

Plenty of options if the OP can think outside the square(s)! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.