Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney areas where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Sydney areas where to stay

We visit Sydney for the first time in March and stayed in the CBD. I think it was a great choice for the first visit, easy to walk to the bridge, botanical gardens and opera house, and some shopping nearby.

We will be in Sydney again in late January and I would like to stay in some other area. What would be an active area to stay in? Restaurants, areas to stroll around, perhaps something extra to see would be nice.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:32 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
the main hotels are in either Kings Cross - sleazy night life but interesting shops and places to eat and drink as well,.

darling harbour nice walkings - lots happening

the cbd - enough said

the beach's

coogee , bondi or brighton le sands

maybe double bay

manly or north sydney/milson point

homebush bay - or even parramatta , or even the Blue Mountains

google and if you have any questions - feel free to PM me
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by adampenrith
the main hotels are in either Kings Cross - sleazy night life but interesting shops and places to eat and drink as well,.
Kings Cross is not sleazy these days....

Originally Posted by adampenrith
the beach's

coogee , bondi or brighton le sands
Coogee yes, Bondi sleazier than the Cross on a Saturday night. Brighton...yes if you enjoy suburbia.

I would suggest that the OP look at maybe Woollahra. There are plenty of smaller hotels around there it has some great pubs/restaurants and is the art gallery/antique centre of Sydney, if that's your thing. It's also within easy reach of the Eastern Beaches, right next door to Paddington.

You could try Double Bay, but in fairness outside of Knox Street and the Golden Sheaf there isn't particularly much to do there. Especially after the opened up the Westfield in Bondi Junction.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
Coogee yes, Bondi sleazier than the Cross on a Saturday night. Brighton...yes if you enjoy suburbia.
Hmmmmm, I think to declare Kings Cross not sleazy is a bit much (especially compared to Bondi).

I think a lot of people would find Sex Shops, Strip Clubs and Street Walkers sleazy, all these things still exist openly in the cross (and they actively encourage your patronage as you walk past). None of these things would you find in Bondi.

Not saying there are not some good spots in the Cross but to make it sounds like its all changed is not near the truth and could cause a few shocks.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
EAST

How is East Sydney (let's say the area not far from the original Marriott) these days? Lots of food options, close to transport and a walk away from all kinds of action, without being in the middle of an inner-city ghetto. Or maybay it still is.

It might be a little more convenient than KX, though I'd not mind staying around Potts Point and there are lots of places to hang there, too. How about the hotel beside Rushcutters Bay?

NORTH

Sydney's north shore, especially Crows Nest, has a ton of restaurants and bars, if you want to get out of the city rat race and still enjoy the finer things, with only a short ride to the city.

Getting slightly further out, to the northern beaches, you can get a nice beachy lifestyle with perhaps lesser crowds at one of the beaches, starting with Manly and heading north. Tons of food options and activities if you're outdoorsy. Definitely not inner city.

Either option has hotels. Either would be fairly convenient and give you a taste of Sydney, though not that much different from if you were staying next to the CBD.

[I enjoyed my time living in the East (close to KX/Rushcutters Bay) and then North]
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simong
Hmmmmm, I think to declare Kings Cross not sleazy is a bit much (especially compared to Bondi).

I think a lot of people would find Sex Shops, Strip Clubs and Street Walkers sleazy, all these things still exist openly in the cross (and they actively encourage your patronage as you walk past). None of these things would you find in Bondi.

Not saying there are not some good spots in the Cross but to make it sounds like its all changed is not near the truth and could cause a few shocks.
It's all relative. I have never met a tourist that thought the Cross was that bad when compared to "red light" districts around the world, it's small fry. Maybe Bondi was a bit of stretch....but it seems IMO that the touts who try and get you into the nudie bars generally seem to hang out in Bondi on their nights off.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:20 am

It's all relative. I have never met a tourist that thought the Cross was that bad when compared to "red light" districts around the world, it's small fry. Maybe Bondi was a bit of stretch....but it seems IMO that the touts who try and get you into the nudie bars generally seem to hang out in Bondi on their nights off.
It is small I grant you but my GF who has to pass through there for work, in her work suit in the day regularly gets hassled to go into the clubs! That's sleazy.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simong
It is small I grant you but my GF who has to pass through there for work, in her work suit in the day regularly gets hassled to go into the clubs! That's sleazy.
Granted that is definately sleazy. The only reason I said it's not sleazy is that it needs to be put in context. For Sydney it is sleazy for the rest of the world not so much.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 3:33 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
CBD and Darling Harbour are likely the only places to consider - with Circular Quay included in the "CBD" definition.

The Cross is a dive - full of smackies, povs, skanky hoes, etc. Blech.

The Crows Nest area is packed full of great restaurants (Pinos for solid Italian, Borderland Mexican, La Grillade for pretentious bistro fare) but the accommodation there is utterly sub-standard.

If you want to get out of the tumour with 4 million cells, make your way to the civilised environs of the Hunter Valley - Crowne Plaza & Mercure offer great accommodation.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shillard
If you want to get out of the tumour with 4 million cells, make your way to the civilised environs of the Hunter Valley - Crowne Plaza & Mercure offer great accommodation.
And then throw yourself off the balcony when you realise that aside from sweeping panoramas and ok wines there is nothing to do after 6pm.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 1:07 am

Dateline Tuesday November 25th

I would suggest that the OP look at maybe Woollahra. There are plenty of smaller hotels around there it has some great pubs/restaurants and is the art gallery/antique centre of Sydney, if that's your thing. It's also within easy reach of the Eastern Beaches, right next door to Paddington.

You could try Double Bay, but in fairness outside of Knox Street and the Golden Sheaf there isn't particularly much to do there. Especially after the opened up the Westfield in Bondi Junction.
It took less than 1 minute 30 seconds before I got propositioned in the Cross while walking from the subway to a restaurant in Darlinghurst. Walking from Estacao Cardeal Arcoverde (near Copacabana) in Rio de Janeiro, I wasn't propositioned that quickly. Trust me, it's still sleazy, even by world standards.

Last edited by mlhall; Nov 29, 2008 at 1:14 am Reason: exposition
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
I own an apartment in Rushcutters Bay, which isn't too far from Kings Cross. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rushcut...ew_South_Wales Presently, my 21 year old daughter is living in the apt. and occasionally walks to the K. Cross train station. She's never relayed a problem with any denizens of the street while in the Cross neighborhood.

Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:04 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
So smack-riddled street ho's and trannies aren't busting their guts to proposition 21yo female punters?

Who would have thought?
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:12 am

So smack-riddled street ho's and trannies aren't busting their guts to proposition 21yo female punters?

Who would have thought?
I would guess she's not trying that hard, or going to Edgecliff instead
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.

Who would have thought?

I guess that a possible explanation is in order... Her mother, my spouse, is a career LAPD official and mentored our daughters. Even though my 21 y/o is a ballet dancer and easy on the eyes, she tends to walk differently in the Cross then when she's in the CBD! Especially when she may be approached by street players, Libertarian Facists and the Like!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.