Wiki Posts
Search

Bora Bora & Moorea: Which Island To Visit First

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Bora Bora & Moorea: Which Island To Visit First

Hi All,

I will be traveling to Moorea and Bora Bora for my honeymoon, staying at the Sheraton Moorea and the Bora Bora Nui. Now the question that I have is the order of stay. Will be flying into Papette (spelling?) and then will go directly (via interisland flight) to Moorea or Bora Bora for approximately 5 nights then to the other island for approximately 5 nights and then back to Tahiti for a night maybe to catch our flight back home early in the AM. So, although my question is not hotel specific, I wanted to get opinions from everyone on what they think the ordr of islands should be (possibly based on their experience and knowledge) and if there are any specific reasons or things I should take into consider when deciding where to go to first, second, etc.

Thanks for the help as always.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:31 pm

Programs: SVO, SPG Gold, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Kobi
Hi All,

I will be traveling to Moorea and Bora Bora for my honeymoon, staying at the Sheraton Moorea and the Bora Bora Nui. Now the question that I have is the order of stay. Will be flying into Papette (spelling?) and then will go directly (via interisland flight) to Moorea or Bora Bora for approximately 5 nights then to the other island for approximately 5 nights and then back to Tahiti for a night maybe to catch our flight back home early in the AM. So, although my question is not hotel specific, I wanted to get opinions from everyone on what they think the ordr of islands should be (possibly based on their experience and knowledge) and if there are any specific reasons or things I should take into consider when deciding where to go to first, second, etc.

Thanks for the help as always.
I just planned my honeymoon out there as well. Congratulations to you!! Just beware of getting to Pappete - almost all flight arrive in the evening (assuming you are coming from the US) and the interisland flights / boats stop running at 7pm local time i believe. Personally, due to delays, customs, baggage, etc, I'm staying my first night in Pappete and then taking the ferry to Moorea for 12 nights in a bungalow on the beach.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
As this doesn't have anything to do with *wood specifically, I'm going to go ahead and move this to the appropriate forum.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Stay in Moorea first.

The Sheraton Moorea has some of the best snorkling in the world, by the way.

But Bora Bora Nui -- and Bora Bora more generally -- is so much more picturesque and stunning that Moorea will seem like a letdown otherwise.

No question at all, BOB must be done after MOZ.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, OP-Plat, WN-CP A-List Rapid Rewards, HH Diamond, Starwood SPG.....
Bora Bora or Moorea?

I was just about to post the same exact question. I'm currently booked at the St. Regis for my honeymoon coming up in October but I've heard good stuff about Moorea. Any experience on which (bora bora/Moorea) is better?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by DL Sky
I was just about to post the same exact question. I'm currently booked at the St. Regis for my honeymoon coming up in October but I've heard good stuff about Moorea. Any experience on which (bora bora/Moorea) is better?
Only been to Tahiti and Moorea, btw. However, Bora Bora will have a more stunning lagoon and even more upscale and expensive accommodation's.
Anyway, I still think Moorea's interior is more beautiful than Bora Bora's (from talking to those who have been to both).
Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:46 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found both to be stunning, with the exception of the prison-camp looking thing on Moorea that was the Club Med -- is that still there?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: United 2P, Westpac Altitude, Qantas
Excellent choice in resorts. The Sheraton Moorea is famous for the best snorkelling aside from that new one that was just refurbished and just reopened (can't think of the name right now). The usual plan for most is to do Moorea first then Bora Bora because Bora Bora is supposed to be even nicer than Moorea so you don't get the let down sense. In Moorea I highly rec. the Alberts shark feeding and ray tour with motu picnic. Be sure to take an underwater camera!
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gleff
Stay in Moorea first.

The Sheraton Moorea has some of the best snorkling in the world, by the way.

But Bora Bora Nui -- and Bora Bora more generally -- is so much more picturesque and stunning that Moorea will seem like a letdown otherwise.

No question at all, BOB must be done after MOZ.

I agree with you that the Sheraton Moorea has the absolute best snorkeling on the planet, and for that reason, disagree with you on the conclusion: my wife and I honeymooned on Moorea and Bora Bora, and we have a slight preference for Moorea, no disrespect to Bora Bora intended. As an avid scuba diver, I've dived and snorkeled all over the world, and nothing can top the snorkeling adjacent to the Sheraton Moorea.

As for the original poster's question, I don't think it matters one bit which island you visit first. I would figure out how the interisland transportation schedule best dovetails with your arrival and departure plans at PPT on the transpacific flights and go from there.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:54 am

We are arriving Pappete at 11pm on a Sat., and heading to Moorea in the a.m. Where would you stay for the night? Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by frankhi
We are arriving Pappete at 11pm on a Sat., and heading to Moorea in the a.m. Where would you stay for the night? Thanks
Intercontinental Tahiti. Take the least expensive room since it's just a place to lay your head for the night.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:06 am

One other thing, how do you get from Moorea to Bora Bora. I was planning on taking the ferry round trip to Moorea from Pappete, then flying Pappete to Bora Bora. Is there a better way?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One other thing, how do you get from Moorea to Bora Bora. I was planning on taking the ferry round trip to Moorea from Pappete, then flying Pappete to Bora Bora. Is there a better way?
I'd recommend flying nonstop (or direct) from MOZ-BOB on Air Tahiti, rather than taking the ferry back to PPT to catch a PPT-BOB flight.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I'd recommend flying nonstop (or direct) from MOZ-BOB on Air Tahiti, rather than taking the ferry back to PPT to catch a PPT-BOB flight.
Thx, I didn't know there was a flight moz-bob!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Thx, I didn't know there was a flight moz-bob!
I'm taking this flight in Oct.
Here's a link to Air Tahiti (not Air Tahiti Nui, the international carrier). Just select your departure and arrival island and it will give you the schedule.

http://www.airtahiti.aero/home.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.