Wiki Posts
Search

No Bananas in OZ!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No Bananas in OZ!

We just came back from 18 incredible days in Oz. While driving around the Top End, we saw lots of trees around Kakadu that had been blown over, all in the same direction. It turns out they had two Cyclones over the past few months.

What does all this have to do with bananas? Cyclone Larry was the one that hit Queensland and destroyed the banana crop this year. In our 18 days there, we saw (and grabbed for ourselves!) exactly two bananas in a hotel breakfast bar. If you could find them at all, they were incredibly expensive.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:25 am

not to worry. we grow lots of bananas ourselves, and no matter what happens above ground, the new keikis (sprouts) will soon reappear, and they grow very fast.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
80% of Australia's bananas come from far north Queensland. The cyclones destroyed the crops so now it a supply and demand thing. If you grow Bananas in Coffs Harbour (Northern NSW) you are now making loads of $$$$$
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:04 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Let the Costa Ricans in!

Why cant Aussies buy cheap Costa Rican Bananas. Americans do and they seem to have little problems with the end of the world (agricultural disease etc).
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:12 am

Programs: Qanats, Continental, KLM
I have seen in Australia, they do not import any produce from other countries.
They have such a tough customs, that you have to open you lugagge before you get out of the airport.
So I guess they would not want to import bananas either.
Though i can say, USA, the customs there aint far off from the customs in Aussie.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:16 am

Programs: CO silver
re:Bananas in OZ (I left one in my baggage)ouch

Landing in Sydney...they let all the dogswith their agents loose among the arrivals.

It might have been the dog or the xray but I was given a surprise lecture
about how many USD I could be fined.Careful to remember re: fruits and vegtables coming in from the USA. A wakeup indeed.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:20 am

We do buy fruit from other countries such as Kiwi Fruit from New Zealand and grapes from USA (California) as well as other products from other counties but there are some countries which are on the banded list! Oh and lets not forget the big push to buy Australian made and produced fruit!
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
When I arrived in SYD in December from HKG, there was consultation between the customs agents before I was allowed to keep the two unopened and sealed 1/2 liter bottles of gatorade that were in my bag.

They seem to be excessively anal. However, it is their country, and if we want to visit, we gotta play by their rules. Therefore, my advice to anyone visiting Oz is to declare everything. Two bottles of gatorade, or whatever else you might have, aren't worth an unexpected flight home.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by ecaarch
When I arrived in SYD in December from HKG, there was consultation between the customs agents before I was allowed to keep the two unopened and sealed 1/2 liter bottles of gatorade that were in my bag.

They seem to be excessively anal. However, it is their country, and if we want to visit, we gotta play by their rules. Therefore, my advice to anyone visiting Oz is to declare everything. Two bottles of gatorade, or whatever else you might have, aren't worth an unexpected flight home.

That is crazy and overly anal! I am happy for them to keep diseases out of our country but questioning Gatorade is madness.

One thing I do like is when I play rugby overseas I get my boots cleaned for free
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by hobarthoney
We do buy fruit from other countries such as Kiwi Fruit from New Zealand and grapes from USA (California) as well as other products from other counties but there are some countries which are on the banded list! Oh and lets not forget the big push to buy Australian made and produced fruit!
Try buying Australian grown garlic...its all from China.

The two "cleanest" countries for importing natural produce/materials from are Chile and New Zealand, anywhere else and its a pain to bring it in. Its a very effective way of protectionism in a free trade world.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:11 pm

Quarantine requirements are very strict on entering Australia, as we are fortunate in not having many plant (and animal) diseases which infest the rest of the world. I guess we've learnt the hard way after early settlers brought with them rabbits and foxes, which cause environmental havoc. Not to mention cane toads which have spread from the sugar plantations almost all over the tropical north.

Bananas are not allowed to be imported, as they could contain diseases which are not currently infecting our crops. The shortage is expected to be a temporary one only, with new crops ready for harvest from October onward.

Regards

David Bennetts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.