Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ rental car Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:40 am

3 Week NZ Car Rental in Feb '07

Hi -

Could anyone with experience in NZ car rentals advise me on the following for an upcoming three week trip: 1 week North Island and 2 weeks South Island:

1. Any good Hertz Discount Codes ?
2. Other good car rental companies ?
3. Any other recommendations ?

Many thanks,

kzoom
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
So how do you get around the problem of credit card insurance not covering the car if you have accepted "any coverage."

Do any of the credit cards not have this provision? I know that Diners has it and therefore their primary coverage is not really available in New Zealand.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
My understanding is that credit card coverage is essentially worthless in NZ - Amex explicitly exempts the country from coverage.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Any opinion on Ace Rentals? I got a quote that is about 250 NZD cheaper for 10 days than Hertz or Avis. It's a substantial savings. Now, what are the gotchas?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:43 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Any opinion on Ace Rentals? I got a quote that is about 250 NZD cheaper for 10 days than Hertz or Avis. It's a substantial savings. Now, what are the gotchas?
SanDiego1K,

I know of several people who have used them and (I hate to say it) all have had problems from break downs to brake failures!

I've used a company called NZ Car Rentals 2000, on two occasions and have had good service both times.

I hope that helps.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:55 am

Very helpful, Itsalongwaysdown. Usually, if a thing looks too good to be true, it is - and that appears to be the case here.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Been to NZ 4 times have used EZY Rentals. If you'll pickup the car at/in AKL, AKL city, CHC, ZQN they can't be beat.

I head back to ZQN in a few weeks and will be renting their '05 compact that zips around the island and is fun to drive and was rented last time for $25 NZ / day.

They recently changed their name to Jucy.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:42 pm

Thanks, im-headed-west. I'm now looking at EZY Rentals. If I book this week, I can return the car with an empty tank of gas at no charge. It also includes a 2 for 1 Milford Sound Cruise coupon, which saves $55.

What insurance cover do you take? Choices range from -0- to $17/day. The cheapest, $8, reduces the excess from $1K to $100, but doesn't cover the windshield. I'm renting for 10 days.

I'm pleased to see that this company does not require a deposit, as the other company I mentioned upthread does.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I got a very good rate at National using the Entertainment code. Rate was about the the majors, but checking for current rates, it's gone up substantially. It's actually lower than the EZY rental rate.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks, im-headed-west. I'm now looking at EZY Rentals. If I book this week, I can return the car with an empty tank of gas at no charge. It also includes a 2 for 1 Milford Sound Cruise coupon, which saves $55.

What insurance cover do you take? Choices range from -0- to $17/day. The cheapest, $8, reduces the excess from $1K to $100, but doesn't cover the windshield. I'm renting for 10 days.

I'm pleased to see that this company does not require a deposit, as the other company I mentioned upthread does.
They don't nickel/dime you, no hidden fees, free shuttles to/from the airport. If you're driving one-way between islands they may even pay your ferry if you're going in the right direction helping them reposition a car. Their cars are a few years old, but are in great shape though the budget model may have some extra wear. My Dec rental is one-way, ZQN-CHC, EZY charges no one-way fee ! ^

The tariff includes some base coverage, but for the rest I usually take $0 coverage/day, no windshield coverage; my CC should cover me. I will tell you that lots of roads are tar covered with rocks and rocks come flying at you quite often. I do alot of hiking and take unsealed roads which can get a little dicey.

The drive to Milford Sound was awesome and should not be missed but take some bug repellent.

If you chose EZY make sure to check-in online before you leave and you'll be on your way in about 5 minutes.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:05 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I just booked for my fare mistake C-class trip (Dec 25-31), and decided to hang out in the Queenstown area for most of the trip, with trips to Milford and around the Queenstown area. The free gas deal will save us quite a few bucks!
Old Nov 19, 2007, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
just adding info about a surprisingly good rental experience in nz, we rented w/a2brentals, and to be honest i can't remember how i found them, but the rate--$19 a day--was dramatically cheaper than anything else we found. we picked up in akl, and will drop off there as well.

we ended up getting the additional cdw for $10 a day, and we're still ahead. currently driving a perfectly fine toyota corolla on the other side of the road!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
This is maybe unrelated, but do car rental company reward programs function at all outside the US? The discount rates do, but do you still earn and receive benefits as you would in North America?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.