Wiki Posts
Search

More Connection Time Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG *A Gold
More Connection Time Questions

I know there a lot of threads on the topic but I'll ask anyway!

Does anyone know what the minimum domestic to international connection time is?

I'm looking at flying into SYD from MEL for a flight to AKL.

1st flight into SYD lands at 7:20

AKL flights are:
TG at 0755
NZ at 0930

What are my chances?

any help would be great!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to FT Naggi

No way for TG. 35 minutes for dom->int is way too short. 2 hours should be okay.

Who are you flying for MEL-SYD? If its Qantas (QF) with flight number under 400 or UA then you arrive at international terminal. If its Qantas with flight number over 400, or Jetstar or Virgin Blue then arrive at domestic terminal.

To connect from domestic to international - there is a free bus if flying on QF, runs every 20-40 minutes and takes 5 minutes. Otherwise there is train (runs every 10-20 minutes, takes 2 minutes and costs A$4 one way) or taxi.

Note Virgin Blue and Jetstar (I think) dont interline bags & need to check in for international flight in the international terminal.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:11 am

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
The shuttle bus from Domestic to International is free regardless of who you fly internationally (I have used it when flying SYD-SFO on UA) it is however 'inside security' in Terminal 3 (the Qantas Domestic Terminal) so you need to arrive on a QF flight in T3 (QF400-1599) and not have checked luggage otherwise you will be or have to go outside T3 security and therefore have to use the train www.airportlink.com.au.

If you fly Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Rex or QF1600+ (like Qantas Link flights from Canberra) into SYD you will arrive in T2 so have no option other than the train unless your international segment is on QF (you can get a boarding pass from the dedicated International Check In counter in T3 checkin).

The reverse transfer international to domestic on the shuttle bus can only be done if the domestic flight is on Qantas or QantasLink - if you fly Virgin Blue, Rex or Jetstar then you have to catch the train. At least when you tranfer from an international flight to QF domestic (QF400+) it is outside security so you can check in your luggage etc

Last edited by ANDREWCX; Apr 25, 2005 at 8:20 am
Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

You dont need a boarding pass to get airside in domestic terminal in Australia (or NZ for that matter).
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am planning on flying HKG-SYD-AKL and if I choose the CX101 1055 arrival what are the chances of getting authorised to board the 1140 QF43 to AKL.

Any help?
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

No way is 45 minutes a legal connection. You'd only make it if no checked bags and arriving flight is early. But given connection is illegal QF wouldnt have any obligation to hold the flight or rebook you on later flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.