Search

Bringing Food into New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Question Bringing Food into New Zealand

Hi all,

My friends and I will be travelling to NZ in 2 weeks and we all keep kosher. We usually bring all our food with us when we travel ranging from meats to canned food. We thankfully have never had a problem but I have been hearing rumors that NZ is quite strict when it comes to bringing any type of food into the country. This even include canned ite,s which I find it hard to imagine of why those would pose a problem. if anyone has any info then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Hi

Yes NZ is pretty strict. Here is a link to Quarantine on bringing in food items.

When you arrive you should declare all food. You will get asked about it and they'll probably want to take a look. If you dont declare food and it gets found there are fines (eg instant fine $200) and even imprisonment for serious offences. All luggage incl carry-ons gets xrayed on arrival. If you decide not to risk it there are amnesty bins before quarantine.

I hope you enjoy your visit. Let me know if you want any more info, or I can be of help.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:20 pm

Start here -

http://www.maf.govt.nz/quarantine/foodstuffs/index.htm

Read everything carefully and follow ALL of the links.

Basically the isolation of NZ (and OZ) means that many plant and animal diseases are not present in either country. Because food exporting is VERY important to both economies, the restrictions are VERY tight and penalties dire.

Tony Bailey
trooper likes this.

Last edited by Tonymercury; Jun 22, 2004 at 2:21 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 19, 2004, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
All worked out in the end

We had emailed the agriculture dept. before we landed to confirm what we could bring. We were able to bring beef that was packaged in the United States with a USDA seal and all the canned food as well as long as it was produced in the United States. we were told no chicken or pork products (in this case the no pork was not a problem).

In australia though, all was taken away since it came from the U.S. So as strict as NZ is, the aussies were tougher.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Glad to here it worked out, at least in NZ.

Anyone else unsure whether they can bring something I would recommend you check the website link above and contact Quarantine Service prior to departure.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:26 pm

Channel 9 in SYD on SAT arvo had one of those "reality" type programmes from NZ called 'Border Control" or some such. One part of the episode featured some bloke from Hungary who failed to declare a salami which was picked up by the x-ray machine (and boy was it some salami - talk about penis envy!).

A good lesson on avoiding hastle by not doing it.

Even more interesting was the Oz transit passenger with one and a half tabs of Ectasy - picked up by one of the dogs - who got off with a warning but may like to avoid AKL in the future.

Tony Bailey
Old Jul 20, 2004, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tonymercury
Thanks for this link, it is great and I can't believe I've never bothered to dig into this deeper as I thought all meat and dairy products were forbidden! But now I read that I could bring meats and cheeses etc from Finland without any problems!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:29 pm

On a related topic ...

Since the question about bringing beef jerky from the US into NZ or AU comes up about once a year on flyertalk, the answer is no you can't bring in beef jerky from the US into Australia -- they seize it and burn it. You can however bring beef jerky from the US into New Zealand provided that it meets the following requirements:

8.3 Private consignments of beef and beef products originating from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America, Vanuatu may be imported provided that the following requirements are met:

i. The country of origin shall be identifiable from the packaging.

ii. The product shall be commercially packaged.

iii. The product shall be sealed within its original packaging on arrival.

While there may be restrictions on commercial consignments from various countries (including the US), private imports are ok into NZ if they are declared and meet the above requirements.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:43 am
R2

I can't get the link above in post #3 work and NZ customs website does not give much details hence my question: Going to NZ soon and I usually travel with couple of protein bars and some whey protein powder. Would these be ok to bring in? I would of course declare them. Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post 3 is from 2004 (13 years ago)

Declare all food. It must be in the manufacturers original packaging. The dogs at immigration/customs/bio security are good at finding food.
"whey protein powder" = milk powder? NZ manufactures & exports 1000's of tonnes

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/law-and-poli...s/biosecurity/
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-r...-personal-use/
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-r...ms-to-declare/
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/food/
http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:37 pm

I believe you'll be ok with whey powder and protein bars. We brought in several granola bars and they didn't have an issue with them. We did declare, and had to discard, anything with any produce, meat, or dairy, even a sandwich with a slice of lettuce. I'm not sure if whey would fall into that category.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: NZ*S
It shouldn't be an issue if they are in original packaging.. but it is easy enough to buy those types of things here and my make your transit through customs/bio-security a little faster/more pleasant.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:27 pm
R2

All, thanks for your replies and the links, very useful. I prefer to have couple of good quality bars with me for the first 1-2 days consumption as I have a busy schedule and not sure how soon will get a chance to go shopping for more. For me its the healthy option for afternoon / late night snack and not having to rely on the hotel minibar.

I'm really looking forward to travelling to NZ again, my last trip there was some 20 years ago.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I'm with you that carrying a little bit of healthy snacks is the way to go. I always travel with nuts and protein bars. We have been to NZ pretty much every year for the last 10 years or so, and I definitely declare all on the way in, and have not had any issues with packaged food. I have as others indicated forgotten an orange or apple that I had in my backpack intending to eat on the plane, and the dogs always find what you may have forgotten.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:09 pm

As already mentioned - but worth repeating - WHATEVER you bring... DECLARE it. You will very likely be OK with most prepackaged foodstuffs (exceptions exist of course).. but declare everything!
CPMaverick and DragonSoul like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.