Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Landing in Sydney. Do they spray disinfectant?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Landing in Sydney. Do they spray disinfectant?

Probably wrong forum but maybe someone can answer. Looking to fly to Sydney Australia on United. I’m reading that when you land they spray insecticides inside before you’re aloud to exit plane. Any truth to this? Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lgh34609
Probably wrong forum but maybe someone can answer. Looking to fly to Sydney Australia on United. I’m reading that when you land they spray insecticides inside before you’re aloud to exit plane. Any truth to this? Thanks
https://www.health.gov.au/topics/com...urity/our-role

Aircraft disinsection

Aircraft disinsection helps to protect Australia from human diseases carried by insects.

All aircraft arriving in Australia must be disinsected. This can include spraying insecticide in passenger cabins and cargo holds. The approved insecticide sprays do not harm human health when used as recommended.

DAFF manages aircraft disinsection for us. Go to their website to find out more about aircraft disinsection.
I do not remember this occuring on my flights to UA (pre-2020)
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They used to do this many years ago, but I haven't experienced it recently (last flight US-AU was 2 weeks ago). It's possible they still do it, but it's done via the AC system on the plane?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: UAL
I do this flight at least twice a year and have not experienced this recently. Last time was probably in the late 90's , early 2000.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:29 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Out of maybe 15 flights to Oz, I've experienced this either once or twice. And it might have been on a Hawaiian flight from HNL. Yes it happens sometimes (and it's mildly annoying and/or distressing when it does), but it's rare on United flights.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:37 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
It’s been a while, but I do recall the bins being opened and sprayed.

This information appears to be current:

“All aircraft entering Australia must be treated with disinsection to prevent biosecurity risks as approved by the Director of Human Biosecurity. The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (the department) administers disinsection requirements on behalf of the Australian Department of Health.The department and the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) New Zealand work in partnership to develop and regulate joint aircraft disinsection requirements.”

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/aircraft-vessels-military/aircraft/disinsection#:~:text=On%2Darrival%20%E2%80%93%20is %20an%20in,lasts%20for%20that%20one%20arrival.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
The way I remember it being explained to me many years ago, was that either:

1) the aircraft is equipped with an onboard disinfectant system whereby the disinfectant/pesticide is dispersed directly into the cabin's air circulation system, or

2) if the aircraft is not equipped with such a dispersion ability, the pesticide is distributed manually by personnel spraying cans throughout the cabin with open overhead bins.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:29 pm

Most airlines have opted for residual disinfection. Per the Australia Department of Agriculture:

"Residual – is carried out while no passengers are onboard. The entire aircraft is sprayed with a residual insecticide and lasts eight weeks"
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by hur88
Most airlines have opted for residual disinfection. Per the Australia Department of Agriculture:

"Residual – is carried out while no passengers are onboard. The entire aircraft is sprayed with a residual insecticide and lasts eight weeks"
Yeah that's what happens. The aircraft is treated. Sometimes they still do the disinfectant with cabin crew walking down the aisles with spray if an aircraft was switched out and they are using one that has not had pre-treatment but it's very uncommon.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Yes, I had this on arrival, all passengers asked to remain seated. This was US SFO-SYD back in March '23.... Had 2 people from biosecurity walk down each aisle of the 787 spraying from cans.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Last month, I flew Garuda from DPS to SYD. On arrival at SYD, GA made a seemingly never ending "how pure Australia is and how filthy Indonesia is" announcement and notified us that we would have to walk on a disinfecting carpet just after the jet bridge. This from the country that Covid-locked down for years.
Deckter likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 4, 2024 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
"The approved insecticide sprays do not harm human health when used as recommended."

I believe they said the same thing about Agent Orange..........
tauphi likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Last month, I flew Garuda from DPS to SYD. On arrival at SYD, GA made a seemingly never ending "how pure Australia is and how filthy Indonesia is" announcement and notified us that we would have to walk on a disinfecting carpet just after the jet bridge. This from the country that Covid-locked down for years.
Indonesia is dealing with a foot and mouth outbreak.
juditha55 and tom tulpe like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 3:06 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by mnhusker
"The approved insecticide sprays do not harm human health when used as recommended."

I believe they said the same thing about Agent Orange..........
They use a synthetic pyrethrum spray. Most commercial versions are ~1/100,000 as toxic as natural pyrethrum.
You'd have to injest several gallons of the stuff for it to have any effect on you.

They use a slightly different mix on the long term spray they do without pax onboard. That one has a silicone carrier particle for the spray to, well, carry on. Those break down in direct sunlight in ~48 hours and outside of sunlight in ~3 months. The silicone carrier particles are slightly more toxic to humans than the pyrethrum itself, so don't lick any part of the plane and especially don't lick any dark & recessed crevices where there may be build up. I think that's probably good advice for life in general too.

Other than that, you should be good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.