Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canberra hotel - which side of the river?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Question Canberra hotel - which side of the river?

I am going to Canberra for 3 nights / 2.5 days in October, have created a Tripadvisor map of things to see and do, and am struggling with which side of the river to stay.

Meriton Suites in Central or Hotel Kurrajong in Barton? Both are roughly the same cost (~US$110 all in) per night. Meriton Suites is new (opened this week), stark-modern, and has in-room laundry machines. Hotel Kurrajong is smaller, quainter, partially in a heritage building.

Are there any advantages to staying north or south of the river?

Old Aug 26, 2023, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by boxo
I am going to Canberra for 3 nights / 2.5 days in October, have created a Tripadvisor map of things to see and do, and am struggling with which side of the river to stay.

Meriton Suites in Central or Hotel Kurrajong in Barton? Both are roughly the same cost (~US$110 all in) per night. Meriton Suites is new (opened this week), stark-modern, and has in-room laundry machines. Hotel Kurrajong is smaller, quainter, partially in a heritage building.

Are there any advantages to staying north or south of the river?
The south-side is the more moneyed up part of Canberra and where most of the foreign missions are – that should help set the tone of the place. The north-side tends to be more like a university town. I'm talking inner-north and inner-south. Once you go to the extreme ends of the city it's much of a muchness suburbia.

I'd probably pick the Meriton north-side because it's got more things going on at night. The south-side tends to be Kingston or bedtime.

OTOH, the Meriton will be rather soulless, if newer, compared to the Kurrajong.

Last edited by bensyd; Aug 26, 2023 at 5:08 am
Old Aug 26, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've only stayed in Canberra once, so others may be more knowledgeable... but I stayed on the north side and found it pretty drab feeling. There are things to do in the north, but I found myself driving to the south side for most of the interesting places to eat & drink.

For the most part I drove around Canberra, it seemed set up that way, so you might consider which place has easier/cheaper parking because it's fairly straightforward to drive across the river wherever you stay.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 7:29 pm

Firstly, it's not a river, it's a lake.

Re accommodation, depends what you're looking for. My favourite part of town is New Acton. Lot's happening, close to uni and CBD, plenty of places to eat and newer/nicer hotels. Inner North (Braddon) is the "hip" part of town, any of the hotels on Northbourne Ave towards the city are ok. On the South side, - Barton is government central, lots of corporate hotels in Barton/Kingston. Kurrajong is my favourite. Realm is gorgeous but expensive. Burbury is overpriced in my opinion. I like the Brassey although some say it is a bit tired. Agree Meriton will be soulless, avoid.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
Firstly, it's not a river, it's a lake.

Re accommodation, depends what you're looking for. My favourite part of town is New Acton. Lot's happening, close to uni and CBD, plenty of places to eat and newer/nicer hotels. Inner North (Braddon) is the "hip" part of town, any of the hotels on Northbourne Ave towards the city are ok. On the South side, - Barton is government central, lots of corporate hotels in Barton/Kingston. Kurrajong is my favourite. Realm is gorgeous but expensive. Burbury is overpriced in my opinion. I like the Brassey although some say it is a bit tired. Agree Meriton will be soulless, avoid.
I was a big fan of High Jinks and Monster around New Acton. Also Corella in Bradden. Lonsdale Street has plenty going on. That being said, given how spread out Canberra is I could definitely see how someone could stay in north Canberra and feel like there wasn't much going on.

And you're both wrong, Lake Burley Griffin is a reservoir not a lake.
CPMaverick likes this.

Last edited by bensyd; Aug 28, 2023 at 2:51 am
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Thank you all for the input.

I've decided on Hotel Kurrajong. Really, the in-room laundry machines at Meriton were the big draw for halfway through my 2.5 week trip and that I was able to book the third category 1-Bedroom Luxury Suite for such a low rate, but I wasn't so thrilled about being in the convention centre area. I'm not one for nightlife, so quiet Barton suits me and is within easy walking distance to Capitol Hill and the National Triangle with Old Parliament and the Galleries, plus two embassies within shouting distance - Argentina across the street and Peru behind.

I called it river because I saw "Molonglo River" on Google Maps and wasn't zoomed out enough to see "Lake Burley Griffin". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molonglo_River
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Lake Burley Griffin is a reservoir not a lake.
Ceci n'est pas un lac.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
Thank you all for the input.

I've decided on Hotel Kurrajong. Really, the in-room laundry machines at Meriton were the big draw for halfway through my 2.5 week trip and that I was able to book the third category 1-Bedroom Luxury Suite for such a low rate, but I wasn't so thrilled about being in the convention centre area. I'm not one for nightlife, so quiet Barton suits me and is within easy walking distance to Capitol Hill and the National Triangle with Old Parliament and the Galleries, plus two embassies within shouting distance - Argentina across the street and Peru behind.

I called it river because I saw "Molonglo River" on Google Maps and wasn't zoomed out enough to see "Lake Burley Griffin". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molonglo_River
Good choice. I recommend Maple&Clove or Little Bird for breakfast. Kurrajong Hotel bar is lovely for a garden or fireside drink depending on the weather.
boxo likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Spent a few days in Canberra in January. There is a lot to do and see. What are your interests? I'd also recommend Double shot Deakin for breakfast. It's near the Mint which was a really good visit. Parliament and last post ceremony at war museum are recommended.
boxo likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 7:26 am
Suspended

Make sure you do a bridge to bridge walk, and Old Parliament House is also worth a visit (as well as New Parliament). All close to your hotel.
boxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.