Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying via Middle East to East Coast US/Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Flying via Middle East to East Coast US/Canada

Looking at a trip to the East Coast this year and considering flying on Qatar instead of landing in LAX/YVR mainly because it helps renewing status much quicker and avoiding LAX or flying Air Canada (been horrible in the past).

I know it will be a much longer flight time but wondering if anyone has done this? How have they found the flights? Is it reasonable or am I just being stupid?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MHDH Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by MHDH
Looking at a trip to the East Coast this year and considering flying on Qatar instead of landing in LAX/YVR mainly because it helps renewing status much quicker and avoiding LAX or flying Air Canada (been horrible in the past).

I know it will be a much longer flight time but wondering if anyone has done this? How have they found the flights? Is it reasonable or am I just being stupid?
Nope.People have done this. Cost vs distance is only approximate.
But from where? AU? To East Coast USA?
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper.

Status with which airline ffp?
Shorter trips can earn status quicker, but at a cost.
Status earning can vary a lot depending on ffp, operating/marketing airline and/or route.
Earning status &/or ff miles/points/avios can depend on distance, cost and/or zone.
https://www.wheretocredit.com/qatar-airways

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 20, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
MHDH Welcome to FT
Nope.People have done this. Cost vs distance is only approximate.
But from where? AU? To East Coast USA?

Status with which airline ffp?
Shorter trips can earn status quicker, but at a cost.
Status earning can vary a lot depending on ffp, operating/marketing airline and/or route.
Earning status &/or ff miles/points/avios can depend on distance, cost and/or zone.
From Sydney to New York or Montreal. Status with Qatar Airways which is why I'm interested in flying this route. Thanks for the link definitely makes the comparison easier. Qantas/AA would be the logical choice flying West but points for renewal would be lower and doesn't help avoiding the US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.