Wiki Posts
Search

Australia and New Zealand Entry Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Australia and New Zealand Entry Requirements

Hello!

We are 2 travelers (one Canadian and one American) taking our honeymoon in Australia and New Zealand in a few weeks. We just wanted to confirm with the wise users here what exactly is needed to enter Australia and New Zealand.
  • For Australia, we have downloaded the Australia ETA app and been approved for the Class 601 "Visas" -- is there ANYTHING else we need to do/bring, including COVID related or otherwise?
  • For New Zealand, we have downloaded the NZeTA app and have been approved for visas (the app says "Issued") -- is there ANYTHING else we need to do/bring, including COVID related or otherwise?
We have looked on the internet but the information is very confusing, and some outdated (for example we are not totally sure whether we need negative COVID tests or show vaccination certificates (we are both fully vaccinated).

Thank you!
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by XUEC
For Australia, we have downloaded the Australia ETA app and been approved for the Class 601 "Visas" -- is there ANYTHING else we need to do/bring, including COVID related or otherwise?
The ETA is all you need. All covid related restrictions and requirements (proof of vaccination, negative tests, digital travel declarations etc) have been removed. It is effectively as it was in 2019.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AU govt-->https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19
NZ govt-->https://covid19.govt.nz/internationa...ealand-by-air/
NZ govt--> https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19...velling-to-nz/

Worth having a hard copy of vaccination cerfticates
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
for NZ you (currently) also need to make a declaration prior to travel - https://www.travellerdeclaration.govt.nz/

I think you can do it 28 days prior to arrival
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
This is very helpful and thank you for the replies to the OP.
I travel in January/February to OZ and NZ on a tour but any extra advice is so very welcome.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
I have a ticket from New Zealand connecting in SYD but I decided to skip NZ on this trip. Can I choose to not take my SYD-AKL flight and just leave in SYD after landing from SFO?

I just realized I asked this in the wrong thread. please ignore

Last edited by flyjfk; Sep 22, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by XUEC
Hello!

We are 2 travelers (one Canadian and one American) taking our honeymoon in Australia and New Zealand in a few weeks. We just wanted to confirm with the wise users here what exactly is needed to enter Australia and New Zealand.
  • For Australia, we have downloaded the Australia ETA app and been approved for the Class 601 "Visas" -- is there ANYTHING else we need to do/bring, including COVID related or otherwise?
  • For New Zealand, we have downloaded the NZeTA app and have been approved for visas (the app says "Issued") -- is there ANYTHING else we need to do/bring, including COVID related or otherwise?
We have looked on the internet but the information is very confusing, and some outdated (for example we are not totally sure whether we need negative COVID tests or show vaccination certificates (we are both fully vaccinated).

Thank you!
Originally Posted by bensyd
The ETA is all you need. All covid related restrictions and requirements (proof of vaccination, negative tests, digital travel declarations etc) have been removed. It is effectively as it was in 2019.
Is the process to obtain the ETA different now? I'm reading that I have to use an app? Pre-COVID, I used a site and paid A$20. I don't remember having to take a selfie. The ETA was also obtained on the same day. Is there a professing time now? Will I get it instantly? I totally forgot about the ETA and I have a trip to Sydney in less than 72 hours.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is the process to obtain the ETA different now? I'm reading that I have to use an app? Pre-COVID, I used a site and paid A$20. I don't remember having to take a selfie. The ETA was also obtained on the same day. Is there a professing time now? Will I get it instantly? I totally forgot about the ETA and I have a trip to Sydney in less than 72 hours.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...-authority-601

All ETA-eligible passport holders must apply for an ETA using the Australian ETA app.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Is approval instantaneous?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: LH SEN
I don't believe so.

Reports in the main thread that at least 24 hours, sometimes longer...

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:54 pm

For my family, between a few minutes and a couple of days.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:00 am

Potential problem? NZ eta

I have an NZ eta and an Australia visitor visa. All fine.

HOWEVER - I was planning to fly from New Zealand to Australia (actually twice, in just over a month) - NOT as a transit passenger. I would enter NZ both times before flying on to Australia.

I’m on a UK passport (so visa waiver country).

It’s probably my misreading/misinterpretation of the statement, but I’ve just found this on the NZ immigration website regarding ETA’s (see second point highlighted):

Criteria you must meet

• You must be travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country, a cruise ship passenger or a permanent resident of Australia.
  • You must be passing through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on your way to or from Australia.
  • You must be travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country or a transit visa waiver country if you are passing through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on your way to another country.

Can someone please clarify, that this means ONLY if you’re travelling as a transit passenger do you need to pass through AKL to Australia?

My two planned trips are:

AKL-SYD and ZQN-SYD

It’s the second one I’m concerned about here, departing from Queenstown to Sydney!

Surely this couldn’t mean that as a Brit without a visa you’re not entitled to fly from Wellington /Christchurch/Queenstown as a stand-alone flight from NZ????

TIA wise forum’ers
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:27 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Tofino87
I have an NZ eta and an Australia visitor visa. All fine.

HOWEVER - I was planning to fly from New Zealand to Australia (actually twice, in just over a month) - NOT as a transit passenger. I would enter NZ both times before flying on to Australia.

I’m on a UK passport (so visa waiver country).

It’s probably my misreading/misinterpretation of the statement, but I’ve just found this on the NZ immigration website regarding ETA’s (see second point highlighted):

Criteria you must meet

• You must be travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country, a cruise ship passenger or a permanent resident of Australia.
  • You must be passing through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on your way to or from Australia.
  • You must be travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country or a transit visa waiver country if you are passing through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on your way to another country.

Can someone please clarify, that this means ONLY if you’re travelling as a transit passenger do you need to pass through AKL to Australia?

My two planned trips are:

AKL-SYD and ZQN-SYD

It’s the second one I’m concerned about here, departing from Queenstown to Sydney!

Surely this couldn’t mean that as a Brit without a visa you’re not entitled to fly from Wellington /Christchurch/Queenstown as a stand-alone flight from NZ????

TIA wise forum’ers
If you have entered NZ you are not in transit. NZ doesn't care where you depart.

It is an "or" thing. Some people can only use an eTA to transit at AKL, and some people can only use an eTA to transit at AKL to Australia. I believe only AKL has an international transit zone.

In your case it is the first criterion that applies "You must be travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country".

​​​
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Hi

Am I reading this correctly. 2 x UK travellers - travelling from UK to Melbourne and Sydney for a week before taking a cruise from Sydney to NZ and back and departing from Sydney the day we arrive back.

For Australia we are presented with the choice of (1) E visitor (2) Electronic Travel Authority (3) 2 x Tourist stream visa
The most straightforward one (and free) would appear to be the E visitor?

For New Zealand - a NZeTA seems to fit the bill? "travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country, a cruise ship passenger...."
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:41 am

Thanks Smiley! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.