Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling through all countries in South Pacific- best route

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

hey guys!

"Travel will not always work out as planned. " - thats why i added 2 backup days per week. So overall, i will have at least 3 weeks for delays or taking a private boat as crew.

"I'm just not sure how you are flying from Port Vila VLI to Apia APW? " i found a cheap flight for 200€ via Nadi as a stopover, its cheaper than booking two seperate flights. But since this is all for 2022, the route is really just a rough idea from what i can see right now. Many airlines wont have full schedules running currently due to corona, so i expect to have more options once its all back to normal in 2022 hopefully and no further pandemics haunt us! around christmas 2021, ill look up all the flight options again and then observe for 1-2 months before booking

Im flying to Australia because i want to see the southern lights in Tanzmania afterwards and there are plenty of cheapish flights to Tokyo from Melbourne. If i find a boat, i would check out New Caledonia for sure as well if i did not have to use all my backup days in the end

Cheers,
Chris

Cheers,
Chris
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
So if you are flying from Vanuatu to Fiji, why continue on and then end up in Fiji again? Do Fiji at that time, and then fly back from Tonga to Australia. Or go reverse direction and end up in Apia, where you can fly to Australia.

Obviously maybe $$ is the reason but for planning purposes, there are shorter routes available.

Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Hey!

I would not fly from to Fiji twice, the first flight would be from Vanuatu Port Vila to Apia I dont like backtracking, but i do want to do some parts via sail boat and most will come from the East towards the West, so I thought it would be good to fly to the eastern edge of my zone and then sail back west

Cheers
Chris
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Chris1984
I would not fly from to Fiji twice, the first flight would be from Vanuatu Port Vila to Apia
Originally Posted by Chris1984
"I'm just not sure how you are flying from Port Vila VLI to Apia APW? " i found a cheap flight for 200€ via Nadi as a stopover
Nadi is in Fiji, so yes you will be going to Fiji twice, albeit the first time is just a stopover.

As far as I know it is not possible to fly direct from Vanuatu to Samoa.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Ah yea you are right , i would have a stopover in Fiji since there is no direct connection, but thats just because right now the flight was cheaper compared to booking two separate flights and staying in Fiji first
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys, hope everyone is well and perhaps someone can help me out here

There is some update on this topic and a slight route change, maybe you can give me some more feedback on below? =

I would like to cross the South Pacific between May to October of 2022, but going West to East (due to my other travel plans) and also not sailing all the way. Happy to fly some parts of it!

What I would like to get out of this is which parts of below plan could easily be done sailing and which one should be covered via flights due to bad sailing conditions against the wind.

I plan to use sites like findacrew for different boats on shorter distances unless I should run into someone who has the same itinerary than I do.

- My sailing expierence: 2.5/10 - would still consider myself a beginner, done 4 weeks of sailing in the "easy" caribbean with a retired US marine colonel - learned a lot there but its been 4 years now, so definitely still calling myself a beginner!

- I would start in Vanuatu and go east. As I am on a quest to see all countries in the world, I would like to include Tuvalu as the most northern island before it potentially disappears. Other than that, its pretty much a straight line east, passing a bunch of places that look amazing as well and that I would like to see even if they are not an independent country Check the map link below for details and note that I originally only planned to go until American Samoa and then fly back to Australia, but now plans changed and I would like to cross all the way to Easter Island and fly from there to Chile.

https://i.ibb.co/Sd79CYg/Capture.png https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...na&usp=sharing

If you could let me know of any must see places that are not on the list, that would be gladly appreciated as well! I will do my research for anything between American Samoa and Easter Island soon too and add more places hehe.

I am hoping that at least between the touristic spots, I would find boats for the shorter distances going west and then cover some of the bigger ones with a plane and pay the high price for that, but I would of course prefer to sail the entire way until Easter Island from where I can then easily fly to Chile (or sail all the way if there is some cool stuff on the way too, not familiar with that part of the world sadly)

Looking forward to hear your feedback and see how realistic this is. Also, what do you reckon would be the most ideal starting date from Vanuatu, allowing enough days to wait for boats inbetween and explore the highlights, go diving etc? I dont want to rush it, but also dont stay too long as it would eat up a lot of my savings

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Chris
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Prevailing winds in the tropics are easterly (ie from east to west).
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Yes I know, thats why I ask for input here "What I would like to get out of this is which parts of below plan could easily be done sailing and which one should be covered via flights due to bad sailing conditions against the wind."
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:12 am
Original Poster

So I decided to change the entire plan and shuffle around everything so I can start this trip from the Easter islands going West. Its a lot of work since i planned 3 years of travel around it but I think the only option if i really want to sail as much as possible.

Feel free to still give me some advice on routes East to West starting Easter island and any points that I should not miss which are not on the map yet

Thanks so much!
Chris
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: QF WP
I‘d love it if anyone could GC map this whole thing 😂
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.