Wiki Posts
Search

Flights cancelled: consumer rights and refund options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Bullswood
Thanks will ask on QF forum but can't believe that any airline could cancel return leg & refuse to offer alternative travel or refund/credit by unilaterally converting to a high fare category one way with different T & Cs!
Expensive one ways are a completely different fare category, usually offering flexibility, refundability etc for a high price.
It isn't QF doing that but your travel agent. Under Hong Kong law your contract is solely with the travel agent and not with QF, different than if same ticket had been bought in Australia for example. After QF cancelled flight they would have offered some alternative travel. That was either not communicated to you, or not acceptable for date for example. Under the circumstances probably did the right thing to buy new ticket, but getting refund for the unused portion will be difficult. Anything QF does is for goodwill rather than contractual obligation in this case. Your bad luck that due to the past year of flight cancellations in Hong Kong (due to protests) the regulations have changed making refund harder, this is Hong Kong specific.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Heavens forbid that airlines should follow the law after all - better to break the law and stay in business, eh? Rules are for fools, after all!
airlines can't refund if have no money to do that. AFAIK the Australian govt has ok'd airlines to give credit not cash, so they might survive.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
... AFAIK the Australian govt has ok'd airlines to give credit not cash, so they might survive.
And the credible verifiable source is ????
Consumer protection laws, such that they are, have not been rescinded by state/federal parliaments.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Consumer protection laws, such that they are, have not been rescinded by state/federal parliaments.
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/i...ex-france.html
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/i...ex-france.html
Anyway Air France is not an Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) based airline (other than flying to/from PPT)
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Anyway Air France is not an Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) based airline (other than flying to/from PPT)
other issue is trading when insolvent.

Virgin & Qantas eg. will run out of money very fast, if they refunded everyone.

Do you want to see them all fold ?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: RFC
other issue is trading when insolvent.

Virgin & Qantas eg. will run out of money very fast, if they refunded everyone.

Do you want to see them all fold ?
So not only should they get a pass on breaking the law (in most places) but the consumer should bear the cost of their inability or unwillingness to plan and manage cashflow responsibly?

Let them fold. Have them bailed out by the government or a third party equity provider.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:53 pm
Suspended

So not only should they get a pass on breaking the law (in most places) but the consumer should bear the cost of their inability or unwillingness to plan and manage cashflow responsibly?

Let them fold. Have them bailed out by the government or a third party equity provider.
you still don't seem to get it. There is no money for refunds.

There is also no cash flow right now.

If airlines like Qantas don't refund they might last 6 months or more, if they refunded everyone, they would run out of cash in a month or 2.

The govt is not going to bail out any airline. If they did they'd have to bail out everyone.

What 3rd party equity provider ?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:42 am

you still don't seem to get it. There is no money for refunds.
Oh, I do get it. I'm saying that they are badly run from a cashflow basis: they should be run where they *can* refund per the law. I have zero sympathy for them for the position they are in because *they* created it via poor management.

What you're not presenting is a reason why it should be kept afloat at all and allowed to break the law in order to do so?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Oh, I do get it. I'm saying that they are badly run from a cashflow basis: they should be run where they *can* refund per the law. I have zero sympathy for them for the position they are in because *they* created it via poor management.

What you're not presenting is a reason why it should be kept afloat at all and allowed to break the law in order to do so?
You can't change history.

Qantas was in same position a few years back.

So you'd be happy if they say to everyone, we'll refund you, (& it will take longer than usual) but of course the money would run out way before, that could happen. Most airlines say 12 weeks for refunds normally. Many might not be here in 12 weeks.

Qantas is a very high cost airline. They have too many staff & they pay them all far too much. If Virgin faulters, Qantas fares will go through the roof, which is bad for the economy.

It seems Virgin do own some aircraft. Maybe they could sell some or all of them to a leasing co. & lease them back. This is a common practice, atlhough aircraft values have plummeted recently & Virgin would have to pay any leasing rates they were offered & as security, might have to put up some aircraft they keep.

Far more important for the country that Virgin survives & also that Qantas does.

Am assuming that pay rates in most aviation related jobs will fall & so will perks. Maybe many staff might be made casuals.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
FWIW I had a booking in April, Qantas e-mailed me saying I had a credit but when I went to MMB there was an option for a full refund which I took.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:08 am

You can't change history.
True, but saying that does give them carte blanche to break the law just so that they survive, as you seem to be advocating.

So you'd be happy if they say to everyone, we'll refund you, (& it will take longer than usual) but of course the money would run out way before, that could happen. Most airlines say 12 weeks for refunds normally. Many might not be here in 12 weeks.
That's not what I've said. They can *offer* a credit. But they are legally obligate to make a refund. Now, if an individual chooses to accept their alternative offer then great for them and the airline. If the pax asks for their owed refund then the airline shouldn't whine or lie about it, they should pay it. As for it taking 12 weeks, that is simply the airlines dragging their feet. There's no reason they can't process it faster. Would they run out of money? Quite possibly. But that has no bearing on acting within the law. It only has bearing on how well the airline was being run.

Qantas is a very high cost airline. They have too many staff & they pay them all far too much. If Virgin faulters, Qantas fares will go through the roof, which is bad for the economy.
Too many staff and too high pay? I'm sorry, but where are you getting that from?! I may despises Alan Joyce with a passion for turning QF into the LCC, but I'll give him credit that he *has* turned it into a LCC in the way it operates.

It seems Virgin do own some aircraft. Maybe they could sell some or all of them to a leasing co. & lease them back. This is a common practice, atlhough aircraft values have plummeted recently & Virgin would have to pay any leasing rates they were offered & as security, might have to put up some aircraft they keep.
Why wouldd they need to offer security on a plane they sold and then leased back?! They *don't own it* anymore: if they fail to pay the lease the new owners simply take the plane back. The plane *is* the security.

Far more important for the country that Virgin survives & also that Qantas does.
Why? Will the government not be able to float another national carrier? Will no one else move into the vacated airline space? If the *government* decides to step in and bankrupt QF then it can (actually, under current emergency legislation it could anyway, unilaterally (but is unlikely too, obviously)) seize the assets and immediately operate it as a government entity, selling it off (again) later if it wanted.

Am assuming that pay rates in most aviation related jobs will fall & so will perks. Maybe many staff might be made casuals.
Anything to maintain that profit margin, eh? After all, it's the shareholders that are important first and foremost, yeah?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:49 pm
Suspended

True, but saying that does give them carte blanche to break the law just so that they survive, as you seem to be advocating.

you would rather they trade insolvent ? Last time I looked that was a jailable offence.

That's not what I've said. They can *offer* a credit. But they are legally obligate to make a refund. Now, if an individual chooses to accept their alternative offer then great for them and the airline. If the pax asks for their owed refund then the airline shouldn't whine or lie about it, they should pay it. As for it taking 12 weeks, that is simply the airlines dragging their feet. There's no reason they can't process it faster. Would they run out of money? Quite possibly. But that has no bearing on acting within the law. It only has bearing on how well the airline was being run.

It's really simple, you can't give a refund if you have no money.

Too many staff and too high pay? I'm sorry, but where are you getting that from?! I may despises Alan Joyce with a passion for turning QF into the LCC, but I'll give him credit that he *has* turned it into a LCC in the way it operates.

Most Australians are paid too much, but this recession will change that.

Why wouldd they need to offer security on a plane they sold and then leased back?! They *don't own it* anymore: if they fail to pay the lease the new owners simply take the plane back. The plane *is* the security.

Ok I'll explain again. These sell some aircraft to leasing company & lease back. Leasing companies aren't stupid, so they may require further security, as who knows, how long any airline, (including Qantas) might last. Not much use for a leasing co. to buy an aircraft & then airline that leases it back goes belly up in a short period, so that cheap aircraft, is not so cheap, when can't lease it to anyone. Bit like after SEP 11, hardly anyone wanted any aircraft.

Why? Will the government not be able to float another national carrier? Will no one else move into the vacated airline space? If the *government* decides to step in and bankrupt QF then it can (actually, under current emergency legislation it could anyway, unilaterally (but is unlikely too, obviously)) seize the assets and immediately operate it as a government entity, selling it off (again) later if it wanted.

Govts can run chook raffles. More incompetent than unions & that's saying something.

Anything to maintain that profit margin, eh? After all, it's the shareholders that are important first and foremost, yeah?
doubt if any airline shareholders outside of USA< will be getting any dividends in next few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.