Search

Southern Ocean Lodge fires

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Southern Ocean Lodge fires

It looks like the lodge may be partially destroyed in the current fires ... guests were evacuated Friday and staff stayed on to fight the fire, but reported to have taken refuge in the lodge's fire bunker. Hope all is well, looks to be quite severe fire ... https://7news.com.au/news/sa/kangaro...rages-c-631413

I was booked for Feb but that trip is cancelled now.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
The whole of Kangaroo Island seems to be going up in smoke (Mainly west but that's the best part)

They're receiving some rain but don't know if it will be enough to stop the fires. Hope the bunker works to keep the staff that remained safe. 2 people died in their car on the highway trying to escape the fires.

If anyone was into animals and landscape this is where I would have told them to go. It was a destination I was happy to keep revisiting every few years. I cannot believe the losses.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:48 am
Original Member
Original Poster

The lodge is destroyed (some astonishing pictures in the 7news link); staff are safe. https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires/...rties-c-632347
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I couldn't see the pictures possibly as I don't have the VPN on this device but I saw the picture. I visited KI a couple of times but SOL only once. My plan was to drive around the island anticlockwise and stay wherever but I actually rocked up to the gate and asked if I could stay. A bit random, but I have no regrets. I only went on one of their tours to Hansons sanctuary at night as I was so enarmoured with the island I wanted to see everything and at my own pace. Tours are great in the right destinations but for me KI is a place you discover at your own pace. Never made it back in time for canapes. They did give me a picnic basket for lunch which was much appreciated. I don't remember the mans name but he helped me get a grip on the various wine regions in Australia. I visited Saffire in Tassie later and was surprised some of the staff from SOL were there but I guess the luxury lodge staff are a small community.

I seriously hope they do rebuild. I am less optimistic the island will recover to former scrub/bush level within my lifetime. Might think about doing a quick trip over once fire season is well and truly over. Last I remember, the airport I think had started on a makeover & expansion of the airport. The roos I hope are largely ok. Koalas never had the capacity to outrun a fire. I LOVED going looking for koala furballs in trees! The sanctuary is also one of the few places you could hug a koala for a long period. My Queensland experiences were very unsatisfying photo opportunities. I read there were some very unique bees and birds as well.

I am quietly devastated
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The Bailies have announced that they are rebuilding the lodge and expect it to take 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.