Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney, Uluru and which wine area?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
And QF flies between AYQ-ADL if you want to head there for wine tasting.
I checked the QF website and didn’t see any direct flights between the two. In fact, I haven’t been able to find any direct flights on any airline between Uluru and Adelaide.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I checked the QF website and didn’t see any direct flights between the two. In fact, I haven’t been able to find any direct flights on any airline between Uluru and Adelaide.
Its Ayers Rock AYQ in the timetable
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...imetables.html
QF flys non stop on Wednesdays & Saturday in August. QF757 16:20 18:15 (but not in a Boeing 757 aircraft !)
When I look at https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-trip/flights.html for August it shows some options via Alice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport
Old May 12, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Australian wines & regions

Wife and I are going to Australia in August. We will be in Sydney and, probably, Adelaide and we both enjoy good wine. Our knowledge of Australian wines is practically nil and we want to learn a bit before we travel. Also, I’m more interested in visiting wineries that have wines that aren’t as readily available in the U.S. Otherwise, I could just buy them here. We’re mostly interested in reds as we have a heck of a lot of whites from recent visits in Europe. We’d probably bring back 1 or 2 cases with us.

Near Sydney, we’ve heard about the Hunter Valley.

Near Adelaide, we’ve heard about Barossa, Adelaide Hills, Coonawarra, Clare Valley and McLaren Vale.

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to which region, as mentioned above, the wineries and wines to consider?

Old May 13, 2019, 1:41 am

Of your 'near Adelaide' list, all but Coonawarra are close to the city, which makes them possible to do as day trips from Adelaide, but it sure is nice to stay out in these areas if you can. I love the Clare for the scenery, the rieslings and the softer, less OTT reds (as compared to Barossa), but undoubtedly there are some big names and famed wines to be had in the Barossa. If you like big bodied reds, it's the place for you, and the density of wineries/cellar doors makes it appealing too. Same goes for Clare, though; my best effort there was 11 cellar doors before lunch (a bit of a late lunch, but still...).
The good news is that Clare and Barossa are basically next to each other so easy to combine into one trip. Hope you have a few days to explore!
I'd recommend Henschke, Kilikanoon, Torbreck and Rockford wineries, just for starters.
I'd consider skipping the bigger ones, like Jacob's Creek and even Penfolds. The experience is more corporate, can be crowded with tour groups and could well be wine you're already familiar with.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a lot of variety the wine regions around the Adelaide region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_wine
https://winefolly.com/review/austral...e-regions-map/
https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/a...-in-australia/
Some of the buildings in these vineyards/wineries are spectacular.
Others are of a large industrial scale with large stainless steel tanks & piping. (In a previous professional life I used to supply & install equipment to these)
Some places are (cheap) bulk wines bottled by the 10 of thousands. Adelaide region has the quality that others aspire to.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Make sure that whatever Barossa tour you take, that they stop at Henschke. Ask to sample Hill of Grace.

It has been about a decade since my Barossa tour, and I’ll see if I can dig up the name of great guide that had all-access there.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackmiles
Of your 'near Adelaide' list, all but Coonawarra are close to the city, which makes them possible to do as day trips from Adelaide, but it sure is nice to stay out in these areas if you can. I love the Clare for the scenery, the rieslings and the softer, less OTT reds (as compared to Barossa), but undoubtedly there are some big names and famed wines to be had in the Barossa. If you like big bodied reds, it's the place for you, and the density of wineries/cellar doors makes it appealing too. Same goes for Clare, though; my best effort there was 11 cellar doors before lunch (a bit of a late lunch, but still...).
The good news is that Clare and Barossa are basically next to each other so easy to combine into one trip. Hope you have a few days to explore!
I'd recommend Henschke, Kilikanoon, Torbreck and Rockford wineries, just for starters.
I'd consider skipping the bigger ones, like Jacob's Creek and even Penfolds. The experience is more corporate, can be crowded with tour groups and could well be wine you're already familiar with.
We are thinking about staying in a B&B in the wine country. We’ve had some wonderful experiences doing that in other wine regions around the world. While we tend towards pinot noirs, we try not to limit ourselves. BTW, what are OTT reds?

I’m in agreement with regards to the big wine producers. When we were in Champagne, we avoided the “Big Houses” and only visited the “Grower” producers. It was great sitting around an old oak wine barrel, my wife and I, talking with the winemaker & sampling his champagne. I’m not interested in following the crowds.

I have to say that I’m impressed with you hitting 11 cellars before lunch. 4-5 in a day is usually my max, otherwise, I start forgetting which wine tasted which way.

Thanks for the winery recommendations.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There is a lot of variety the wine regions around the Adelaide region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_wine
https://winefolly.com/review/austral...e-regions-map/
https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/a...-in-australia/
Some of the buildings in these vineyards/wineries are spectacular.
Others are of a large industrial scale with large stainless steel tanks & piping. (In a previous professional life I used to supply & install equipment to these)
Some places are (cheap) bulk wines bottled by the 10 of thousands. Adelaide region has the quality that others aspire to.
Mwenenzi, glad to see you over here. Your posts over in my thread in the Australia Forum have been a huge help. It’s given us some ideas on how to structure our vacation. We’re grateful. I started this thread in this Forum in case someone later on was specifically interested in Australian wines without making the journey.

We are more interested in seeing smaller, more interesting places as opposed to large industrial scale. Not so much interested in cheap, bulk wines.

Thanks for your wonderful assistance over here, also.

Old May 13, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Make sure that whatever Barossa tour you take, that they stop at Henschke. Ask to sample Hill of Grace.

It has been about a decade since my Barossa tour, and I’ll see if I can dig up the name of great guide that had all-access there.
WOW!! Hill of Grace = $845!!!

If you find the name of your guide, I’d appreciate your sharing. Thanks for confirming that Henschke is worth visiting - I think.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Brokenwood in the Hunter and Rockford in the Barossa. Smaller wineries that are outstanding.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

WOW!! Hill of Grace = $845!!!

If you find the name of your guide, I’d appreciate your sharing. Thanks for confirming that Henschke is worth visiting - I think.
I was able to find the information:

https://www.lifeisacabernet.com.au/

The owner's name is Ralph. When we did the tour 12 years ago, I got the impression that he was a solo operation. Looking at his website, perhaps it has grown (and sometimes that means you don't get personalized treatment.)

Re Henschke, we did not buy Hill of Grace, but they did have more modestly-priced wines that were truly fantastic.

I'd echo a previous poster's caution about visiting the corporate-level tasting rooms. Just not the same experience as the smaller producers. I think we were the only ones at Henschke.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
We did a Barossa tour with Matt from https://www.smallbatchwinetours.com.au/ in December 2017.

We ended up having the tour to ourselves (so a private tour at the shared tour cost) Matt had some great suggestions based on our drinking and usual price preferences and we have since continued to order from some of the wineries he took us to.

Our personal favorite based on location, staff interaction and the wines themselves was https://www.tscharke.com.au/ which are very reasonably priced.

I would agree on avoiding the large operations unless you really wanted to see a particular one. Penfold's for instance isn't on a vineyard and really could be anywhere so I would only go if you really want to taste Grange without having to buy a bottle.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:00 am

We are thinking about staying in a B&B in the wine country. We’ve had some wonderful experiences doing that in other wine regions around the world. While we tend towards pinot noirs, we try not to limit ourselves. BTW, what are OTT reds?

I’m in agreement with regards to the big wine producers. When we were in Champagne, we avoided the “Big Houses” and only visited the “Grower” producers. It was great sitting around an old oak wine barrel, my wife and I, talking with the winemaker & sampling his champagne. I’m not interested in following the crowds.

I have to say that I’m impressed with you hitting 11 cellars before lunch. 4-5 in a day is usually my max, otherwise, I start forgetting which wine tasted which way.

Thanks for the winery recommendations.
OTT = over the top. Barossa in particular is known for HUGE reds that might not be to your liking if you tend to prefer pinot noirs (me too!). In my opinion the best pinot noirs in Australia come from Victoria (and a few from Tasmania). There are a few good ones from Adelaide Hills, for sure, but generally the South Australian reds are big fruit bomb shiraz or variations on a Rhone blend.
As I said in earlier post, heartily recommend staying in wine country. There should be some good B&B/airbnb options.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
In Barossa, we stayed at a B & B and could walk to about 20 wineries, including Two Hands, Torbeck, Whistler (highly recommended). At each winery, we would ask for a recommendation for our next stop. We found some great small wineries that way.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:18 am

I’d second the recommendations for Two Hands, Torbreck and Rockford. Also a good mix of new and traditional architecture. Definitely try Rockford’s port style Shiraz. As said above the Barossa isn’t the place for light, fruity reds and global warming sadly means it may struggle to sustain any wine growing beyond the second half of this century.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.