Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-ORD which airline JAL or ANZ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

I will be in Sydney this summer and want to fly business class on my return to ORD.
I am looking for advice between these two airlines. No layover possibility in TYO or AKL so that is not a factor.
Pure flight experience. Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustWest
I will be in Sydney this summer and want to fly business class on my return to ORD.
I am looking for advice between these two airlines. No layover possibility in TYO or AKL so that is not a factor.
Pure flight experience. Thanks!
Do mean southern hemisphere summer or northern hemisphere summer? (6 months difference)

What are the arrival & departure times?

Via AKL is shorter. Great Circle Mapper

Other airlines fly SYD-LAX/SFO-ORD
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

My bad.

Northern hemisphere summer. Similar times AM out of SYD. Earlier transfer in AKL obviously but similar arrival ORD. I really just want a hard and soft product comparison if anyone has that expertise.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Northern hemisphere summer. Similar times AM out of SYD. Earlier transfer in AKL obviously but similar arrival ORD. I really just want a hard and soft product comparison if anyone has that expertise.
You will get a longer sleep time on Air NZ.
Short-long flight vs 2 ~ medium flights on JL
Air NZ AKL-ORD 20:10 17:15 (based on current time table: will be different with day light saving changes)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:00 pm

If it's the suites on JAL then I think they are a clear winner on hard product, just get in and pick a window seat early (aisle seats it's much closer between the two)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by IMOA
If it's the suites on JAL then I think they are a clear winner on hard product, just get in and pick a window seat early (aisle seats it's much closer between the two)
The catch with JAL is they are notorious for having few planes with suites in the past and last-minute substitution of older seat config which is far worse than NZ. Not sure of current JAL situation but for secondary markets such as ORD they would tend to use worse seat config. Air NZ is a more reliable choice and has quite good J service. Combined with the better flight breakdown it seems better to me.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Have you looked at CX? Their J is very nice indeed and the distances are roughly comparable to JL.
NZ is fine too. One thing I especially like about them that I have never seen anywhere else is their take-off / landing instructions. 'Please make sure your tray table is folded away blah blah blah and your seat is in the full upright position -- unless you are in business class, in which case you can have your seat however you want it'.
Another factor you haven't mentioned: a trans-Pac in J is / can be worth a good chunk of frequent flyer points. Which programme(s) are you in? JL and CX are in OneWorld whilst NZ is in *A.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by henry999
NZ: 'Please make sure your tray table is folded away blah blah blah and your seat is in the full upright position -- unless you are in business class, in which case you can have your seat however you want it'. .
That's because NZ has special J seats certified to takeoff while reclined (a few other airlines do too). A nice perk.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Do mean southern hemisphere summer or northern hemisphere summer? (6 months difference)
What?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by number_6
The catch with JAL is they are notorious for having few planes with suites in the past and last-minute substitution of older seat config which is far worse than NZ. Not sure of current JAL situation but for secondary markets such as ORD they would tend to use worse seat config. Air NZ is a more reliable choice and has quite good J service. Combined with the better flight breakdown it seems better to me.
That.

The new JAL J hard product easily beats NZ, and the soft product is so far ahead and so consistent that NZ isn't even in the running on that front IMO.

ut JAL don't fly the new suites in the ORD route - or at least, they didn't when I looked ~4 months ago. No idea if it's new or old in the AKL part. I'd take NZ over the old JAL J product and simply throw the dice with the NZ variable soft service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.