Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi - AKL Airport Ibis to AKL Intl.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Silver
Taxi - AKL Airport Ibis to AKL Intl.

I know by law taxi drivers must do this, but will they and if they do what sort of "fees" will they add on? Have an early morning flight, so want a quick and direct trip to the terminal, without having to wait for the bus.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Fares start at $3.50. I think there is an airport drop-off charge of $2. I'd expect it to come to $7-9, before tip.

I would ask at the hotel the night before to arrange this. I'm sure they do it often, and they'll have a good idea of the price.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Oct 9, 2018 at 3:12 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Silver
Thanks! I was expecting a surcharge of a lot more (i.e., $20)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: BA, NZ Gold
From previous experience, most of the major cab companies charge a flat fare (appox $25) for travel across the airport campus. This is (was?) to make up for the two+ hours taxis wait for a fare and drivers not being able to turn down a short distance fare, unless you are drunk or don't have the means to pay.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by knoydart
From previous experience, most of the major cab companies charge a flat fare (appox $25) for travel across the airport campus. This is (was?) to make up for the two+ hours taxis wait for a fare and drivers not being able to turn down a short distance fare, unless you are drunk or don't have the means to pay.
For those who take taxis FROM the airport this is understandable (although I'm not sure it is legal?), as the taxis are required to wait in long queues to take airport passengers.

To take a taxi TO the airport, it doesn't make sense. The taxi could come from anywhere and wouldn't need to wait in a queue. Particularly if booked in advance.

AKL does have a $5 pickup fee and a $2 drop-off fee included in the respective taxi fares.

EDIT: Here is some government advice. It does appear that taxis can add on any fee they like, although they have to explain why and you have the choice to refuse. So, not too customer friendly.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/taxi-fares
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by knoydart
This is my understanding also. Within AKL airport property (this extends past the Ibis) taxi fares are a flat rate. Used to be $20 or $25, assume it still is around this level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.