Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10-12 days trip itinerary to NZ (both islands)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calbear2005
Since both ROT-ZQN and ROT-NSN flights require a layover in AKL (or so it seems via a quick Google flight search),
Looking at Air NZ for a random date mid Nov
ROT-xxx-ZQN via AKL/WLG/CHC
ROT-xxx-NSN via AKL/WLG
ROT-xxx-HKK via CHC

Jetstar JQ do not fly from ROT

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 15, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Anyway am sure poisonsag & poisonsag_+1 will enjoy the trip. Please report back after the trip.
Thanks and will certainly report back here for more data points about my itinerary

I also appreciate all other changes that were recommended here but unfortunately we have made some reservations with no cancelation accepted so we will will not be able to make any changes

However i have some other questions that i need some expert tips on about NZ trip, not related to itinerary:
  1. How is the adaptor version in Kiwiland? I wanted to buy beforehand i reach there so i do not have issues with charging laptops/phones and cameras, can someone point me to the right amazon link perhaps?
    • The car charger i use here in states should work in NZ as well right?
  2. How is GPS recommendations? Should i buy one? or rent from the rent-a-car company? I read in some blogs GPS is not really needed in NZ but i will feel much more comfortable if i have one at all times
  3. Should i purchase car (rent-a-car) insurance? or is it not needed, what are the experts tips?
    • Any recommendations on which credit card should i use for this or some other concierge services that offers primary insurance?
  4. I will feel much more comfortable if i have NZ sim card with me with data plan, any tips on that?
  5. Is credit card accepted everywhere? or Should i always have cash handy?
    • What will be the best place to exchange money (USD -- NZD)?
Thanks!!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Adaptor is the same as Australia. 220V, make sure anything you use with a simple adaptor is 220V compliant. Most are. Car charger will be the same.

Don't see a need for GPS. Car rental company may offer one. Routes should be straightforward, use your phone if lost. You can Google maps (or similar) onto your phone when on wifi before you leave, you can then see your GPS location on those maps anytime, even if offline.

Extra cover (insurance) is your option, but most recommend to buy it unless your CC covers it. You need to check your CC policy to make sure it covers NZ.

Not sure about SIM card, but there will be options at the airport. Make sure your phone accepts a SIM and is unlocked.

CC widely accepted but always carry cash (note many USA cards have a high % fee when used overseas making them a bad value anyway). ATM offers the best exchange rates, but make sure your bank knows you are traveling to NZ. Usually there is a one-off ATM fee so get all your cash out at once if you can estimate what you'll need.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Power supply is 230v 50Hz. Nowadays most phone & computer power supply's are dual rated, but, as above, check the device label. Devices with motors or heating elements, like hair dryers, are unlikely to work but check the device label.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_...ity_by_country
    From a google search "NZ power adaptor site:amazon.com"-->
    Australia Travel Adapter For TYPE I Plug - Works With Australian Electrical Outlets And New Zealand, China, Argentina, Fiji Australia Travel Adapter For TYPE I Plug - Works With Australian Electrical Outlets And New Zealand, China, Argentina, Fiji
    But I have seem physically smaller adaptors.
    Cars are the same as USA (they can come from the same Asian factory)
  2. As above better without GPS. Google map on your phone will be OK. Most of the places you will be going only have 1 main road/route. There have been cases where people have religiously followed GPS “shortest distance" instructions and ended up on 4 wheel drive goat tracks.
    Link--->Driver takes a long and winding road | Stuff.co.nz
    You will be able to get free paper maps for local tourist activities like in Queenstown area.
  3. Not all USA credit cards offer free rental car insurance in NZ. Check carefully and what is included/not included. There is some insurance, as required by NZ law, with all rental car hire. The USA insurance jargon “primary insurance” & “secondary insurance” is not used in NZ. Any add on insurance will likely be a be cheaper if purchased before (in USA) compared to on the spot at the rental car desk.
    One of the many threads on this topic---->Renting a car in NZ with citi prestige or chase sapphire
    Also suggested/recommended is travel - health – medical - repatriation insurance.
  4. As above there are desks selling phone SIM cards & phone plans at the main airports. Or any large shopping centre.
    Main phone carriers are Spark & Vodafone & 2°. Others brands are resellers
    Link--> https://www.glimp.co.nz/mobile/compare and other sites like this
    Sample https://www.skinny.co.nz/pricing/nztravelsim/ (A Spark sub brand)
    FT thread -->Prepaid SIM - New Zealand
    Check if your phones work with the NZ phone frequencies. Link--> https://willmyphonework.net/
  5. Visa & MasterCard widely accepted. Amex less, especially in smaller establishments. But as above, check what costs your credit card has for NZ charges.
    Tipping is not expected anywhere. But in very touristy places like Queenstown would be common for some people from USA, but not by people from NZ, Aust & Eu, to tip.
    Living in NZ & Australia I spend less than $25 in hard cash per week, even when travelling.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 17, 2018 at 9:46 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:23 pm

3. I got the zero excess insurance for peace of mind. It adds ~$15 USD/day to the cost of rental. I heard too many stories regarding foreigners and car accidents from a few coworkers and NZ expat friends.

4. When I landed in AKL, right as I walk past the duty free area, there a small Spark kiosk. I bought a 5 gb data-only plan for ~$30 USD.

Last edited by calbear2005; Oct 17, 2018 at 9:21 pm Reason: typos
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by poisonsag
I also appreciate all other changes that were recommended here but unfortunately we have made some reservations with no cancelation accepted so we will will not be able to make any changes
I'm not sure exactly which items you reserved that cannot be cancelled - but I would still heed the advice I (and others) have given on the forum, namely try to minimize your back and forth as much as possible. Maybe you''ll really enjoy the Queenstown-Franz Josef drive, round trip, a lot. I will tell you that I was ready to collapse in a bed and sleep like a log after doing it one way.

Have fun nonetheless! NZ is a spot to remember for sure.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I'm not sure exactly which items you reserved that cannot be cancelled - but I would still heed the advice I (and others) have given on the forum, namely try to minimize your back and forth as much as possible. Maybe you''ll really enjoy the Queenstown-Franz Josef drive, round trip, a lot. I will tell you that I was ready to collapse in a bed and sleep like a log after doing it one way.

Have fun nonetheless! NZ is a spot to remember for sure.
I just went onto the website the OP linked for the Milford Sound/Mt. Cook combo tour that the OP booked, and according to the website, the tour can be cancelled up to 2 hours prior to the first day, but does not specify the amount that would be forfeited, if any. Even if it cost 50% of the tour price to cancel (~$250 USD/2 people), I would consider doing it. I gather the flights, accommodations, and car rental are already costing $3000+ USD, losing ~$250 USD wouldn't be the end of the world, especially if it made the trip more efficient and gave you more days for sightseeing instead of time spent doubling back from Franz Josef and Mt. Cook to Queenstown.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks and will certainly report back here for more data points about my itinerary

However i have some other questions that i need some expert tips on about NZ trip, not related to itinerary:
  1. How is the adaptor version in Kiwiland? I wanted to buy beforehand i reach there so i do not have issues with charging laptops/phones and cameras, can someone point me to the right amazon link perhaps?
    • The car charger i use here in states should work in NZ as well right?
  2. How is GPS recommendations? Should i buy one? or rent from the rent-a-car company? I read in some blogs GPS is not really needed in NZ but i will feel much more comfortable if i have one at all times
  3. Should i purchase car (rent-a-car) insurance? or is it not needed, what are the experts tips?
    • Any recommendations on which credit card should i use for this or some other concierge services that offers primary insurance?
  4. I will feel much more comfortable if i have NZ sim card with me with data plan, any tips on that?
  5. Is credit card accepted everywhere? or Should i always have cash handy?
    • What will be the best place to exchange money (USD -- NZD)?
Thanks!!

If you get a SIM for your unlocked phone, you should be able to use Google Maps. Good thing about Google Maps is that you can favorite a lot of places you plan to visit and then the app. in your phone will be able to access those for turn by turn directions.

However, I'm told that this site has more accurate driving times for NZ so that might be a good way to plan for the driving times:

https://www.aa.co.nz/travel/time-and...ce-calculator/

Data SIMs are not cheap and when I visited in 2016, some hotels wouldn't even offer you unlimited Wifi. Many were saying you get 500 MB a day. So that might be something to look out for when you book lodgings.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:57 pm

It seems your basic problem is the flight Rotorua to Queenstown. That is what is causing you to double back to and from the glaciers. One more vote here for avoiding that. If that flight is cancellable cancel it. Either fly to Nelson, fly to Christchurch from Rotorua or drive back to Auckland, it isn’t far, and fly to those places from there. Drive from Christchurch to glaciers is great. Consider cancelling the flight even if it is not refundable, unless that is ridiculously expensive. I disagree with some of the comments here. No problem staying overnight in Rotorua, you will want to see a Maori show anyway. I enjoyed the caves, enjoyed Rotorua, enjoyed Auckland (take a trip across the harbor to the islands), enjoyed Christchurch. Queenstown, Wanaka, Milford are great. The weather didn’t cooperate for me in the glaciers or Mount Cook.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Data SIMs are not cheap and when I visited in 2016, some hotels wouldn't even offer you unlimited Wifi. Many were saying you get 500 MB a day. So that might be something to look out for when you book lodgings.
5 gb data-only SIM for ~$30 USD when I went in May this year. That's relatively cheap compared to what I pay back home.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended

5 gb data-only SIM for ~$30 USD when I went in May this year. That's relatively cheap compared to what I pay back home.

Which one was that?

I paid like $50 USD for 5 GB on Spark in Feb 2016.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Which one was that?

I paid like $50 USD for 5 GB on Spark in Feb 2016.
Also Spark; bought it at the kiosk in the duty free area in AKL. I do recall the salesperson saying that it was a little more expensive outside the airport.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Also Spark; bought it at the kiosk in the duty free area in AKL. I do recall the salesperson saying that it was a little more expensive outside the airport.
So just pay for the sim, change the sim and you are good to go? any specific settings required?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:32 pm

So just pay for the sim, change the sim and you are good to go? any specific settings required?
I didn't do anything special with my phone settings after inserting the new SIM card. The salesperson had said that it may take a few hours for everything to start working, but I was able to start using data about 30-60 minutes after putting in the SIM card.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:56 pm
Suspended

I was researching the SIMs for my upcoming trip.

Looks like the bargain is to order online from Skinny Direct, which is owned by Spark and uses their network.

Prices aren't necessarily cheaper but you get a lot more data, like 12 GB for 50 NZD, compared to 4 or 5 GB for the same money with Spark or Vodafone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.