Renting a car in NZ with citi prestige or chase sapphire

Old Jun 18, 17, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA++
Renting a car in NZ with citi prestige or chase sapphire

Can I just use citi prestige or chase sapphire to get me covered with car rental in NZ?

Also, I am kind of confused with their "excess" insurance.
Old Jun 18, 17, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssg10 View Post
Can I just use Citi prestige or Chase Sapphire to get me covered with car rental in NZ?

Be careful. There are reports on FT that (some?) credit card insurance does not apply in NZ.
From what company do you want to rent from?

"Excess" is the $ you pay when a claim is made.
Insurance jargon and the exact legal definition of insurance words/phrases is not the same world wide.

Look in the rental car forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-r...-services-392/
Old Jun 18, 17, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by ssg10 View Post
Can I just use citi prestige or chase sapphire to get me covered with car rental in NZ?

You should check with your credit card company as it varies with "primary" and "secondary" coverage. There are insurance policies that you (I say "you", but I am in the UK and assume similar exists in the US) may be able to take out a separate car hire excess insurance policy. I am not associated with them in any way apart from as a customer but this is who I use and it was cheaper than buying the rental companies excess protection - in fact it cost less for the policy for a year than it would have for 5 days rental. This is the company: https://www.carhireexcess.com/ and it covers me worldwide with CDW also included in the US.
Old Jun 18, 17, 2:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The citi prestige card generally covers car rental in Australia/NZ (while most other cards, including other citi cards, do not) but there are lots of conditions attached. These vary with your specific card, for example some require that any air ticket for travel to NZ be purchased with Citi prestige card in order to get the free car rental cover in NZ (or if using FF ticket, it must have been redeemed using Citi points). So check your card terms and conditions, there are a dozen different Citi prestige cards and they vary, but in general less useful than you may think. I presume Chase Sapphire matches Citi closely.
Old Jun 18, 17, 6:39 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
The requirement about booking airfare with the card relates to evacuation/injury/life insurance - not rental car CDW.

Both Citi and Chase offer worldwide CDW on all of their cards without country exclusions. Only difference with Prestige is that it offers $100K of coverage compared to $50K on other cards like the Preferred, Simplicity, etc. Chase does not set a dollar value.

Best as I can tell, NZ makes it impossible to waive all CDW when you rent a car. You must take their basic insurance which would have an excess/deductible of $2000-$3000. The coverage you can buy would reduce this to zero, but your credit card should also cover it. Assuming you total the car, you would get billed $3000 and then file a claim with Citi/Chase to get reimbursed.

You can find your Citi benefits guide by logging into your account or at this location: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/
CSP is here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphireVW15
Not sure it that one is up to date.
Old Jun 19, 17, 7:32 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Just be careful if it matters to you ... there are multiple citi prestige cards with different T&C which are relevant to the OP's question, so nobody can answer without knowing what card the OP has. Kind of absurd that Citi has chosen to go this way, and some of their cards can catch you out if you don't know the fine print. Just remember that NZ has special rules that differ from all other countries coverage on these cards.
Old Jun 19, 17, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
there are multiple citi prestige cards with different T&C which are relevant to the OP's question, so nobody can answer without knowing what card the OP has.
Unless you're referring to one of the non-US cards, I'm pretty sure that's not correct. And based on the OP's location, I'm presuming he's talking about the US card. Can you provide a pointer to more than one such card?

(And I say that as someone that'd held a Citi Prestige card since soon after it was released in the US)

Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
Best as I can tell, NZ makes it impossible to waive all CDW when you rent a car. You must take their basic insurance which would have an excess/deductible of $2000-$3000.
It's not so much that you can't waive it, but that by law insurance coverage is included in the price so there's not really anything to waive, and no additional cost to get the insurance coverage. As you've said, this insurance has a high excess (aka deductible), which you have the option to reduce for a fee.

Last edited by docbert; Jun 19, 17 at 6:29 pm

Search this Thread