Search

Traveling Southland and Dunedin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Traveling Southland and Dunedin

I'm planning a trip to NZ in January and trying to figure out how much time to spend in the Southland and Dunedin. Right now I'm thinking two nights on Stewart Island, two nights in Dunedin, and possibly just an overnight in Invercargil. Curious for thoughts on this if I need more time in any of these places? I've been to Queensland and Wanaka on previous trips.
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: RFC
Please consider not going to Stewart Island. The environment cannot handle the current tourist numbers.

And you couldn't pay me enough to spend a day, let alone a night, in Invercargill.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Please consider not going to Stewart Island. The environment cannot handle the current tourist numbers.

And you couldn't pay me enough to spend a day, let alone a night, in Invercargill.
I've heard this about Invercargil will skip a night there. As far as Stewart Island goes I understand that, but I'm fascinated by the wildlife on the island. It's been a place I've wanted to visit for a long time.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I've heard this about Invercargil will skip a night there. As far as Stewart Island goes I understand that, but I'm fascinated by the wildlife on the island. It's been a place I've wanted to visit for a long time.
Don’t worry about the greenie nonsense. Definitely give Invercargill a miss.
CPMaverick and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA, NZ Gold
Head via the Catlans for a bit of coastal wilderness on the way between Invercargil and Dunedin.
Nugget point and Cathedral cove plus the odd off the beaten track beaches and penguins & dolphins at Curio bay.

Like previous posters, no need for an overnight in IVC, but stop at the museum to hang out with Henry the Tuatara none the less.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by knoydart; Sep 6, 2018 at 8:27 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham
Don’t worry about the greenie nonsense.
And CFC's never harmed anyone, lead in fuel makes engines run better, used motor oil is great for spraying on roads and around schools to keep the dust down in summer, and there will always be plenty of buffalo & dodo.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
And CFC's never harmed anyone, lead in fuel makes engines run better, used motor oil is great for spraying on roads and around schools to keep the dust down in summer, and there will always be plenty of buffalo & dodo.
I doubt if any of those things have happened on Stewart Island and the dodo/buffalo population is non-existent there, by all accounts. The OP should enjoy the pristine environment.
CPMaverick and chavala like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: NZ Silver
What a ridiculous comment. OP, please don't be put off going to Stewart Island, it is a unique and beautiful spot and you'll love it. I wouldn't spend more than 1 night in Invercargill - as others have said, there isn't a lot there. Catlins is a must do - If you have a camper, this would be a good spot to stay, rather than IVC.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brenrox
What a ridiculous comment. OP, please don't be put off going to Stewart Island, it is a unique and beautiful spot and you'll love it. I wouldn't spend more than 1 night in Invercargill - as others have said, there isn't a lot there. Catlins is a must do - If you have a camper, this would be a good spot to stay, rather than IVC.
Sadly I won't have a rental car traveling by public transport
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:37 pm

Will you have a car in Dunedin? It's a very spread out city, and many of the attractions are out of the cbd
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham
I doubt if any of those things have happened on Stewart Island and the dodo/buffalo population is non-existent there, by all accounts. The OP should enjoy the pristine environment.
Good job missing the point.

It *isn't* pristine It won't *stay* as it currently is with constantly increasing tourist numbers. The fact is that numbers are higher than the environment and facilities can handle. It *is* degrading. And that's before you even get to the people that visit and think it's a good idea to let their dog "have a bit of a run". I'm sure that the Grand Banks fisheries will never run out either, eh?

And as for "those things have never happened on Stewart Island", you might want to think again - ozone hole, anyone? It did extend directly over Stewart Island, y'know.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:28 am

Good job missing the point.

It *isn't* pristine It won't *stay* as it currently is with constantly increasing tourist numbers. The fact is that numbers are higher than the environment and facilities can handle. It *is* degrading. And that's before you even get to the people that visit and think it's a good idea to let their dog "have a bit of a run". I'm sure that the Grand Banks fisheries will never run out either, eh?

And as for "those things have never happened on Stewart Island", you might want to think again - ozone hole, anyone? It did extend directly over Stewart Island, y'know.
I feel like you have no idea what you are talking about and wonder if you have actually been there?. The fishery around Stewart Island is probably one of the most abundant and sustainable in the world.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That makes travelling Southland and Dunedin much harder and will take a lot more time to visit places. With a car you get to places in a hour that could take a day by public transport or will not be accessible for you at all.

I would suggest you rent a car for part of your trip to NZ. Even if only for a day in Dunedin or Queenstown areas for example.
An option for longer travel but limited:-->http://transfercar.co.nz/ (most are south to north direction, as many people drive south but fly north)
JamesBigglesworth likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 8, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
I feel like you have no idea what you are talking about and wonder if you have actually been there?. The fishery around Stewart Island is probably one of the most abundant and sustainable in the world.
I never said the fisheries were under threat. [Deleted by moderator.]

But hey, whatever, go and have fun. It's perfect and pristine and no damage is happening now or ever. The tourist load is unlimited. There is no need for care or management. Obviously everything is just fine with whatever is happening now because effects never take time to be felt. Just like allusions never need explaining when they can be entirely missed or simply ignored. That's how history goes, eh?

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 9, 2018 at 3:22 am Reason: Rule 12
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That makes travelling Southland and Dunedin much harder and will take a lot more time to visit places. With a car you get to places in a hour that could take a day by public transport or will not be accessible for you at all.

I would suggest you rent a car for part of your trip to NZ. Even if only for a day in Dunedin or Queenstown areas for example.
An option for longer travel but limited:-->http://transfercar.co.nz/ (most are south to north direction, as many people drive south but fly north)
Another vote for transfercar and having a rental in south island, I quickly realized car is quite essential when planning my trip. Transfercar has plenty of ZQN to CHC rental cars @ $1/day for 2 days max, there are some 3-4 days ones that show are but are snagged up pretty fast so I'll recommend keep looking and you should be able to find a super cheap rental through transfer car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.