Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ South Island Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I drove to Akaroa on a previous trip and plan to go there again on this trip, though that was a long drive. I looked to see if there were accommodations between CHC and Akaroa but not really, nothing close to restaurants and such.

I don't know how far I can drive out towards the ocean but I heard at some point, it's 4WD territory. I guess there must be some dolphin-watching cruises? I may consider one in Kaikoura but price is kind of steep for a 2.5 hour trip, like 100 NZD to stay on the boat, 170 NZD to swim with them.

For Mt. Cook, I'm thinking of spending a couple of nights either in Tekapo or in Twizel. There is limited accommodation in Mt. Cook Village but they want about double what it would cost in Twizel or Tekapo. Long drive but I'd go to the village to do the hike there and then drive back.

I'm going to try to fit a couple of nights in Dunedin. 3.5 hours drive from Wanaka or Queenstown each way but it looks to be a beautiful town.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Tekapo is probably better to stay as there is a bit more to do at night (hot pools or observatory). I'd have thought it would be as expensive as Mt Cook though?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Keep checking Mt Cook Village. It was completely sold out for the entire month of November when I first started planning my trip, but a couple weeks ago a bunch of rooms opened up. Maybe tour agencies hold them?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended

I've only checked booking.com.

So far there is only one option and they're asking almost $600 for two nights.

Tekapo and Twizel have options for half that and even less.

But prices are really up. I'm getting sticker shock in Queenstown. Near the port, everything is at least $300 a night if not more. The place I stayed in in February 2016, which is about a 1/2 mile uphill from the main part of town, is requiring a minimum of 5 days and it's around $1200. I paid $434 for 4 nights back then.

I know January is peak demand but I went in the latter part of February last year and that should still be high season?

Or maybe NZ has gotten more popular.

I don't know, maybe stay in Frankston or somewhere further away and take the bus in. I can afford it but these places, while nice, are not worth what good HK hotels charge.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:45 pm

Akaroa has excellent dolphin spotting in the harbour - Ive been out with Black Cat Cruises three times - they're on the pier at Akaroa - and have seen dolphins in good numbers on all three trips The third trip was under a cloudy sky , and I was in a rush and forgot my extra layers - an error. I was cold ! I was told that the dolphins like murky water , and despite my scepticism lots came out to play Black Cat also came up with an excellent recommendation for local fish and chips !

Kaikoura Whale Watch claim 95 pc success seeing whales - Ive been out twice with them , saw whales on both occasions Some say they're expensive , but I thought it well worth the dollars Ive not been to Kaikoura since the earthquake but very fond memories - I must go again

Dunedin is said to be penguin capital of NZ Spent two nights there in 2016 , sadly didn't get a chance to go on the train but had a superb wildlife outing to the Otago Peninsula , saw lots of rare yellow eyed penguins , worlds second rarest species I can supply further info and/or pics if you wish

Im hoping to visit NZ again in early 2019 , catch up with an old friend in CHC , a bit more exploring , fabulous country..
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
I've only checked booking.com.

So far there is only one option and they're asking almost $600 for two nights.

Tekapo and Twizel have options for half that and even less.

But prices are really up. I'm getting sticker shock in Queenstown. Near the port, everything is at least $300 a night if not more. The place I stayed in in February 2016, which is about a 1/2 mile uphill from the main part of town, is requiring a minimum of 5 days and it's around $1200. I paid $434 for 4 nights back then.

I know January is peak demand but I went in the latter part of February last year and that should still be high season?

Or maybe NZ has gotten more popular.

I don't know, maybe stay in Frankston or somewhere further away and take the bus in. I can afford it but these places, while nice, are not worth what good HK hotels charge.
Try the motel in Mt Cook - it is pretty nice and will be cheaper than the Hermitage. January is still school holidays here, so naturally will be a lot more expensive than the end of Feb. You could try AirBnb?
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
That's what I got, a "motel studio deluxe" (Queen bed, kitchenette, parking in front of room, and a patio with a "view") at Mt Cook Lodge. 323 NZD ($218 USD) late November. Everything was a bit of a sticker shock to me too, but when I think about what I've paid at crappy USA NP Lodges, it didn't seem so bad.
Twizel sounds like a cute town, but I figure that's not the reason we're going. I want to wake up in the morning there and I think the night sky must be incredible.

Also, I've learned booking.com was not as much help as usual. There are LOTS of properties that either don't list or show as sold out (including Mt. Cook Lodge). Try looking directly at the hotel websites.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

It also seemed like there were more and better-rated restaurants in Tekapo and Twizel than in Mt. Cook Village.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:04 pm

I don't think there are many restaurants in Twizel, maybe the pub? Tekapo has good options and the Hermitage is pretty good for meals in Mt Cook. 323 is very expensive...I paid NZD170 between X-mas and New Years a couple of years ago...shows how much demand has grown in that short time
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brenrox
I don't think there are many restaurants in Twizel, maybe the pub? Tekapo has good options and the Hermitage is pretty good for meals in Mt Cook. 323 is very expensive...I paid NZD170 between X-mas and New Years a couple of years ago...shows how much demand has grown in that short time
I have to admit, I'm only going by what's on booking.com and for restaurants, I just looked at Google Maps.

The place in Mt. Cook Village is Aoraki Court Motel, which wants $580 USD for two nights -- they do get great reviews. Unfortunately, for the dates I was looking, booking.com is only showing that option so I'll look at others.

There are as expensive places in Twizel and Tekapo but there are many places from $200-$350 as well.

I was thinking 2 nights in either Tekapo/Mt. Cook Village/Twizel and then 2 nights in Dunedin. But since you guys are talking up Tekapo and Mt. Cook Village, I may think about eliminating Dunedin and just adding a night in Tekapo/Mt. Cook Village/Twizel and a night somewhere else.

Someone suggested photographing the Milky Way in this area. It could be a rare opportunity because around here (SF Bay Area) I think you'd have to drive about a 100 miles from populated areas to get away from the light pollution.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by brenrox
I don't think there are many restaurants in Twizel, maybe the pub?
in fact, one of the best restaurants i've been to in the rural south island is in Twizel -- Poppie's Cafe. it's so good that i hesitate to even post about it publicly for fear i will find it overrun but alas, i see it's widely reviewed on tripadvisor.

get the lamb chops special. you won't regret it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.