Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest car rental company at ZQN

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Fastest car rental company at ZQN

Hi, apologies, not directly Air NZ related. Am flying to ZQN for skiing, keen to get on slopes ASAP. What is likely to be the fastest car rental company in terms of process, queues and location? I.e how do the cheaper option like ace/snap compare to the traditionals? Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
The main, more traditional outfits (Hertz, Budget etc) are all located in the terminal. The smallest lines are usually at Hetz however you never know what they could be like. All of these companies have their cars in a central Carpark 2 minute walk from the terminal.

as for the other outfits, most of them require a shuttle except for Ace and Jucy which are located on the airport grounds. Ace is the closets with a 2 minute walk from the arrivals hall.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TraderX
Hi, apologies, not directly Air NZ related. Am flying to ZQN for skiing, keen to get on slopes ASAP. What is likely to be the fastest car rental company in terms of process, queues and location? I.e how do the cheaper option like ace/snap compare to the traditionals? Thanks
ZQN is a small airport with B737 A320 or smaller aircraft arriving. You will not get large queues, compared to large international airports
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by TraderX
My wife and I recently had a short trip to Queenstown and used a company called Hitch who shuttled us to their office possibly 3k from airport - total of about 40min delay to drive off incl transit time but we got a great deal - just under $50 for a late model mid sized vehicle with unlimited km and zero excess. Return was about 15min - called them and they kept shuttle for us so quick trip to airport.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Sign up for Hertz Gold...no paperwork at airport. Just need to sight your D/L and voila. Card charged on return, email invoice. Could not be easier.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the New Zealand forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: RFC
I've always had good experiences with Omega when I'm in NZ - fast paperwork, cheap, good staff, predictable cars. They're just off the airport in Queenstown.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Markhm
Sign up for Hertz Gold...no paperwork at airport. Just need to sight your D/L and voila. Card charged on return, email invoice. Could not be easier.
Agreed, this is most likely the quickest option.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
ZQN is a small airport with B737 A320 or smaller aircraft arriving. You will not get large queues, compared to large international airports
On the contrary, I find the longest wait times are in small airports. I had a wait of almost an hour at Hertz @AYQ (Tiny Uluru outpost). This is because there is usually only one or two staff, no 'Gold/Elite' service, few public transport options, and nobody is connecting.

Big airports have more customers but also better equipped to deal with them.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Markhm
+1... or an equivalent (such as Avis Preferred).

I rented from both Avis and Hitch. Avis was a bit more expensive, but quick processing and with nicer, newer cars. Hitch was quite a bit cheaper. Nice enough staff, but the fleet seems much more basic and well used. (One rental had 86k on the odometer and enough damage that it took ten minutes to write up on the condition sheet. If I was going to have it for more than 24 hours I might have protested.) Despite what they might advertise, being a fresh, new face in the car rental business, they improve nothing about the experience besides price. Off-airport budget car rental locations served by a shuttle will add at least 30-45 minutes to both pickup and return. It’s really up to you to determine if this, along with a more basic fleet, are worth the cost savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.