Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many days you recommend spending each in Sydney and Melbourne?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

How many days you recommend spending each in Sydney and Melbourne?

Looking to know how many days I should plan for to see Sydney and Melbourne for 7-10 days total. Where takes more days to see, what would you allocate. You an always spend more time in a place as there is always more to see, though the idea is to have enough days that I'm not rushing and able to see a little bit of everything. Thanks for ideas/ thoughts
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:48 pm

I tend to find myself busier in Melbourne than Sydney, perhaps because I've been to the latter more times.

What does "a little of everything" mean to you? Are you looking to stay around the CBDs, or wanting to do a few day trips?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hardest part to figure out is the Melbourne part of trip, # of days I'd need to see city as I'd like to see the 12 apostles also which is near there
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: SPG, QFF, Ascent Premium
What are you after precisely? Do you like the beach, or hiking or are more inot food and night life?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You really need to determine what you want to see outside the CBD of each city to answer the question.

It sounds like you want to do the GOR outside Melbourne. The best way to do this is to overnight on the west end of the GOR and return in the morning. This would take 1.5-2 days. It is possible to get a day trip tour, but it is a very long day.

What else interests you? Do you want to see the Blue Mountains? Do you want to see Phillip Island? What about wine regions (both cities have them)?

For just the cities, 2-3 days in each is probably enough. If you have as few as 7 days, I would allocate 3 to Sydney and 4 to Melbourne if the GOR is on your list. If you have 10 days, it would depend on your other extra trips or desires in each area.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I only did 3 nights in Sydney when I was there and I definitely felt like it was not enough. It did not help that it was raining every single day we were there either.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I only did 3 nights in Sydney when I was there and I definitely felt like it was not enough. It did not help that it was raining every single day we were there either.
What did you feel like you missed?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Only have 1 trip to SYD and two in MEL under my belt, but I like MEL a little more. For a big family trip to MEL, we chose NOT to rent a car for the first few days, as we planned out enough to do in and around MEL for the first few days that a car would have been a waste of money. Then we did a full week rental for the remaining 7 days, with day trips including the GOR, and many others. My wife is a planner, and typically for day trips we would leave the hotel by 8am, and rarely return earlier than 10pm, but sometimes close to midnight. With kids, I prefer not to switch hotels unless needed, so we find it easier to keep homebase the same, even if it means very long drives each day. I typically choose different routes to and from locations just to mix things up a bit, as it adds to the fun for everyone. Had a blast, and I put close to 2,000 miles on the BMW X5 rental in 7 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.