Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 hours in / around Auckland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I don’t need a visa, US passport holder. But yes i see your point.

Even just walking around the airport and seeing the outside would be nice.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:22 am
Suspended

I can’t imagine there isn’t some tour guide- some college student- who’d be willing to just show me the city for the day for $50-100. If anyone knows of anything please let me know.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
You really do not need a tour guide, english spoken everywhere .. and its pretty easy to get around.. use your money on food or experience. Download an offline map, or tour guide, and you will be all set.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I can’t imagine there isn’t some tour guide- some college student- who’d be willing to just show me the city for the day for $50-100. If anyone knows of anything please let me know.
I guess I've never really looked, but I don't think that is typical for western, english-speaking countries. Usually one would need a guide for transport and translation, translation is not required here and if someone is using their own transport to drive you around on a private tour for the day, they'll be charging more than $100. This isn't Bali, labor and petrol aren't cheap.

I'm sure you could book some kind of tour through an agency such as Viator, or maybe find an agency that specializes in offering personal tour guides. Maybe try to call (on Skype or similar) the Auckland information center?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I guess I've never really looked, but I don't think that is typical for western, english-speaking countries. Usually one would need a guide for transport and translation, translation is not required here and if someone is using their own transport to drive you around on a private tour for the day, they'll be charging more than $100. This isn't Bali, labor and petrol aren't cheap.

I'm sure you could book some kind of tour through an agency such as Viator, or maybe find an agency that specializes in offering personal tour guides. Maybe try to call (on Skype or similar) the Auckland information center?
No actually it’s extremely common in western cities. The tour guides are usually college kids on the “free walking tours” in virtually every western city (including Auckland). I always start trips out on the free walking tours so I get a sense of where things are in the city. At the end of the tour you usually tip $5-$10. I would actually join the one in Auckland but the timing doesn’t work out unfortunately.

i got in touch with a very professional guide who wanted $500 and he basically told me it would be very tight on time and I could go downtown by myself if I wanted, take a harbor cruise, and go back. But he said the airport is a far commute to the city so going into downtown Auckland might not be worth it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I would agree that there isn't much time to do anything too meaningful, but realistically you have about 2 hours if you go downtown. Get a map on your phone and go wandering yourself, just remember where the bus stop is.

Otherwise you need some cash but take the 380 bus to Mangere and go for a walk. (Go up the Mangere Domain.) You can even just walk out of the airport for 2 hours, then turn around and go back.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:23 am
Suspended

I had thought just walking around the airport. I think I’ll probably be beat after flying from DXB for 16 hours. I will be in no shape to start trekking around a major city and catching public transportion on a time crunch.

does anyone know if any of the hotels near Auckland offer rooms by the day/hour?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:54 am
Suspended

Seems like I won’t have enough time to see Auckland. I reserved a day room at the Novotel next to the airport for only NZD$129. Im scheduled to land at 11:11, and leave 6:50pm, that really only gives me 4hrs realistically.

What is traffic like to get to get to the airport around 3-4pm? What is the best way to get from downtown Auckland to the airport around 4pm time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.