Wiki Posts
Search

12 hours in / around Auckland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
12 hours in / around Auckland

Looking for suggestions for how to fill ( / kill ) some time either near AKL or in Auckland city, under the following circumstances.

Arriving at 0500 on the 16-hour QR flight from DOH, in J. I trust ( hope ! ) that we’ll be fairly well rested. Leaving the same day at 1830 on the QF flight, again in J, to PER. (Why? ! ? Well, if you’re curious: this is a mileage-run-ish sub-system within an RTW itinerary.)

Would rather not sit in the lounge — as nice as it might be — for 12 hours.

This will be in January, so we’re hoping for some glorious summer weather. But even if it's bad ...

We’ve been to Auckland before, some years back now, and had a good look around the town. (Even had a few pints at the famous Dog’s Ballocks — no idea if that one is still there now.) So, we don’t need to ‘do the do’; on this stop we’re simply looking for some place ( area / neighbourhood ) easy to reach from the airport and easy to be, for the time we have available.

I’m hoping there’s a ‘left luggage’ or lockers at AKL where we can cache our carry-ons for those hours.

Informed comments gladly received. TIA
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
AKL does have a left luggage service but it isn't too obvious, it is at the SmartCarte counters. As for what to do for a day, lots of past threads in FT that you can search. My favourite is visiting the museum in the Domain which has a fine Polynesian art collection. Also good for walking and fresh air. You mention "we", how many and how mobile? That affects your options, but in general Auckland is a boring large city that is nice but not worth a special trip -- the good parts of NZ, and there are many, are outside of Auckland.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Hop on a ferry over to Waiheke and spend a few hours on a winery tour plus long lunch.
Raven_FL and Big Bad D like this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Also good for walking and fresh air. You mention "we", how many and how mobile? That affects your options...
Thanks. Two of us, both fully mobile; (not exactly marathoners but) we could pretty much walk around all day without difficulty.

Originally Posted by Eltham
Hop on a ferry over to Waiheke and spend a few hours on a winery tour plus long lunch.
Interesting.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
My situation is not unlike the OP. I am currently in AKL and just lost tomorrow’s appointment and leave soon for today’s appointment.

I leave early Thursday morning for SYD, but would like to see a place like Waiheke.

According to trip Advisor the last expensive tour package is $210. I am just interested in getting there, looking around, having lunch, and returning to my hotel. Is there a less expensive way to do this? Unfortunately, I am staying near the airport so would have to use Uber to get anywhere.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Xeno
My situation is not unlike the OP. I am currently in AKL and just lost tomorrow’s appointment and leave soon for today’s appointment.

I leave early Thursday morning for SYD, but would like to see a place like Waiheke.

According to trip Advisor the last expensive tour package is $210. I am just interested in getting there, looking around, having lunch, and returning to my hotel. Is there a less expensive way to do this? Unfortunately, I am staying near the airport so would have to use Uber to get anywhere.
Just hop on a ferry from the downtown terminal in Quay St (35mins) and walk or taxi up the hill - plenty of restaurants. If you fancy a winery lunch, Mudbrick is good and has nice views back to the city. But there are several others further into the island.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thanks. Very helpful!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Renting a car and driving to Piha is a nice option too. You can use the car to store your luggage, and it is a beautiful drive and destination. If you haven't seen a black sand beach before, I can highly recommend. There are some short hikes to waterfalls, etc nearby in Kitekite and Karekare.
Xeno likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: RFC
Given how common it is for luggage to be stolen from rental cars in NZ (esp. at tourist spots like Piha) I wouldn't leave luggage anywhere other than a positively monitored location.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Another vote for Waiheke. Best part of my time in Auckland earlier this month.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Given how common it is for luggage to be stolen from rental cars in NZ (esp. at tourist spots like Piha) I wouldn't leave luggage anywhere other than a positively monitored location.
How common is it? I would never leave luggage in plain sight in any country, but I have never heard of this in several trips to NZ. You really think a locked rental car with luggage in the trunk (or suitably invisible from the outside) is likely to be broken into? I can't agree, but people are afraid of very small risks I do understand that.

IfI really needed piece of mind, just wire lock your bag to the car...
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henry999
Looking for suggestions for how to fill ( / kill ) some time either near AKL or in Auckland city ...
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Another vote for Waiheke. Best part of my time in Auckland earlier this month.
Thanks, Eltham and txflyer77. Waiheke is a GREAT suggestion! A few clouds today but mostly clear and blue, temp around 22; perfect. Mrs999 had a few quibbles with the description of the coastal hiking track as 'moderate' but on the whole it was exactly what we were looking for to fill our day.
CPMaverick and Eltham like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:13 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! NZ is definitely a different scale on their posted difficulty levels versus the USA or even Australia... I think a 'difficult' trek involves rock climbing, harnesses and at least a reasonable chance of death!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I’m in a very similar situation. I arrive at 11 AM, and leave it at 1900. It’s a quick trip so I shouldn’t have too many bags with me. Probably just a backpack, but possibly a roller board too. Are there are any free tours one is able to catch? I’ve never been to NZ but heard very good things about it.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I’m in a very similar situation. I arrive at 11 AM, and leave it at 1900. It’s a quick trip so I shouldn’t have too many bags with me. Probably just a backpack, but possibly a roller board too. Are there are any free tours one is able to catch? I’ve never been to NZ but heard very good things about it.
So doing an airside transit flying international both sectors or flying into NZ?
11:00 (~12:00?) to 19:00 (~17:30?) only gives you about 5:30 hours.
To enter NZ you may need a visa depending on your passport.
There is the Skybus into the city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.