Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY day trips out of the city

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I went up on the train two weeks ago to Katoomba and walked to Three Sisters, which I'd guess is probably about a 2 mile walk from the train station. There were fires burning on the valley floor from vegetation control, and it was actually pretty cold in the shade, so I decided not to go hiking this time up. I have hiked below a couple times and done the railway up from the valley floor before.

There was some type of local tourist bus service that would probably work if you want to get more sights in. If you can find that schedule on-line, and it works for you, it might be an option to consider.

If you get an Opal transit card in Sydney, it's something like $US4 one way from Sydney to Katoomba after 0900, or a few dollars more before 0900. Going to be hard to beat that price with a rental car. Also, the RSL there has a very good lunch menu - I had the roast of the day (lamb, but think I could have picked from other options, too).

I have photos below in the Sydney gallery which is currently on the front page.

Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:43 pm

I would go with car personally. If the weather is nice there are loads of great vistas/lookouts you can hit easily in one day because they are so close to the car park. Govetts Leap lookout and Evans lookout at Blackheath, 3 sisters at Katoomba, Sublime point lookout at Leura and hike around the short loop at Wentworth Falls. Something like that.

I should say I HATE tour groups with a passion so didn't even consider that option.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Lan44
I would go with car personally. If the weather is nice there are loads of great vistas/lookouts you can hit easily in one day because they are so close to the car park. Govetts Leap lookout and Evans lookout at Blackheath, 3 sisters at Katoomba, Sublime point lookout at Leura and hike around the short loop at Wentworth Falls. Something like that.

I should say I HATE tour groups with a passion so didn't even consider that option.
I imagine at this point we will be sticking with the car. I will try to remember to report back!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
You'll be fine driving on the correct side of the road- the first 10 minutes will be full of impatient Sydney motorists honking at you, then you'll get the hang of it. That's how it was with my non-English speaking friend from Paris who hired a car for the same trip.

Much of the drive up to Katoomba is uninteresting, but once you hit the foot of the mountains it's lovely.

Can you be flexible with the day you visit? As Annalise pointed out it could be a waste if you go on a bad day. When it drizzles it's truly miserable up there.

Stop off for a drink at the Carrington cocktail bar - in the main house, not one of the bars on the street. It's a highlight that a lot of people overlook, a real taste of early 20th century Katoomba when the town was at its best.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:54 pm

where's the best place to find forecasts?

I'm thinking of going this sunday 6/25

mostly sunny, 20% chance rain, should be fine right? (probably doing blue diamond tours, likely booking on daybefore on saturday)

http://www.bluemts.com.au/weather-forecast/
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by paperwastage
where's the best place to find forecasts?
The Bureau

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/katoomba.shtml
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bensyd
It looks at the moment that it's going to be maximum about nine degrees but sunny on Sunday. You need to be careful there with the walks, if it's been raining for a day or so prior it gets really slippery. It's going to be cold whatever, so scarves and gloves are the go.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by bensyd
+1000

The BOM website is really quite impressive- from historical trends, to cyclone tracking, prediction and risks, to daily rain and sun/UV forecasts..its all there.

I poured over that for 18 months leading up to our trip- early on with trying to understand historical patterns to plan our visit; then as the trip was set to be aware of any complications (ie cyclones) then finally with what to wear tomorrow
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Best Blue Mountain Walks

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any NSW locals who might be able to advise on the best walks/trails in the Blue Mountains to take?

On my last visit I did the walks that are near the Scenic World park (I think to Katoomba Falls).

I'm heading to Sydney next week and so will take a day out to go to the Blue Mountains and have been recommended to do 3 walks which are the:

- Charles Darwin Walk
- Valley of the Waters
- Lincoln's Rock

I was wondering if anyone might know which of these walks are the best or indeed if they recommend anything else - given I only have a day and will have to do it by public transport,

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:56 pm

Not a local, but I can recommend the Wentworth Falls tracks.

There are a few different circuits you can do (Ive done the national pass & wentworth pass, 10 years ago, before the track had been refurbished (!!!), and the undercliff track just this past March. Valley of the waters is part of the wentworth 'system', I think.

How fit are you? What level of effort and how long a hike do you want? Check this out:

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking...ntworth-falls/

The undercliff and national were really spectacular- dramatic vistas on the cliff edge and on the way down; massive undercut passages as you traverse the cliff...
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:57 pm

FWIW... the very dramatic walks at the various towns along the valley (Wentworth, Katoomba, etc) were developed as a kind of 'arms race' among the various towns competing for tourist visitors. Each town would commission a crew to build the most dramatic passages to attract visitors to their locale.

Nowadays, we think nothing of hitting 2 or 3 stops in a day. Back in the day, you basically made the journey to one hotel, one city, that was that.

I recall reading a signboard on a hike, (I think wentworth falls, on the way down the cliff) where they explained one of the crew leaders was lowered over the cliff edge on a bosuns chair on a rope, and scuttered across the cliff face planning the route of steps and passages his crew would the hew out of the stone...

Report back on where you went-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.