Wiki Posts
Search

SYD Mileage run suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
SYD Mileage run suggestions

Planning a SYD MR and trying to figure out if it I can do anything in 1 day's stay.

There is so much to do that it's getting a little overwhelming without any planning. Not to mention the cost of accommodation and eating in such an expensive city.

Any thoughts from FTers? Should I make this a quick turnaround or stay for day or so?

PS - Also, would appreciate if AUS immigration/PP is finicky about MR visitors? Ofcourse, I'll apply for ETA before getting my tickets but just wanted to know what to expect.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I did a business trip once that was basically a 24 hr turn. Got in one morning, left the next afternoon- so about 30 hours. No questions. Id been doing a slew of trips there with 4-7 day stays for each trip, and never any issues.

OTOH, last trip I stayed a while.... a month.

While it is easy to rack up expenses, it is pretty easy to stay cheap. airbnb, etc. Sydney is a wonderful place- there is simply no way I wouldnt stay a while in my current mindset.

Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Expensive? Depends on your interpretation as expensive. I feel you could still have a good time here using public transport, such as ferries and eat decent quality meals for a low cost. Yes you don't want to be eating at Circular Quay but there are so many great pubs for example in the Rocks.

Stay a few days and see the free or cheap sites around Sydney.

If you can explain exactly what you are doing for such a short space of time that's all they require. My brother worked for a South American travel company and on his passport it shows him visiting "drug" countries for 1 or 2 days. Immigration hauled him in for a private chat and as soon as he said what he did he was let go and there were no problems. Surely they would understand about maximising points.

If you are coming from the US you have the dollar on your side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.