Wiki Posts
Search

Australia trip - Itinerary advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Australia trip - Itinerary advice?

Hello all, I've booked a last minute trip using my miles to Australia, departing next week. I've been to Sydney and Perth before, but that was quite a few years ago. I've done my research on FT, but would really appreciate advice and further suggestions.

As it stands, I'll be spending 5 nights around the Brisbane area (Brisbane, Noosa, Gold Coast), 3 in Sydney, 3 in Melbourne and 2 in Adelaide. Apart from fact that I could not change the HKG-BNE and ADL-HKG flights, everything else including the destinations and no. of days spent at each city could be changed.

I'll be renting a car throughout the entire trip. How does my itinerary look? Would the following itinerary be too rush and are there any other places that I've missed?

- Day 1: HKG-BNE
1235/2320

- Day 2: Brisbane
River Cruise
Southbank
Story Bridge Climb or Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary?
Mt Coot-tha Lookout

- Day 3: Noosa
Drive to Noosa
Noosa Headlands Walk
Explore Sunshine Coast

- Day 4: Noosa
Day Trip to Fraser Island
(Any recommendation of guided tour operator?)

- Day 5: Drive to Gold Coast (or stay in Noosa or spend an extra day in SYD/MEL/ADL instead?)
Wet n Wild Water Park
In and about Gold Coast

- Day 6: BNE-SYD
Bondi to Congee Walk, and discover the beaches along the way
(http://bonditocoogeewalk.com.au/)
Watson's Bay

- Day 7: Sydney
Day Trip to Blue Mountains
(http://www.sydneygreatescapes.com/tours.html)

- Day 8: Sydney
Day Trip to Port Stephens / Hunter Valley / anywhere else?
I've tried wine tasting in Margaret River before and while I'm aware that Hunter Valley is another region, I assume the experience may be similar. Any other day tour suggestion?

- Day 9: SYD-MEL
Queen Victoria Marketplace
Melbourne by Foot Walking Tour (http://www.melbournebyfoot.com/)
Lygon St
Brunswich St
Chapel St

- Day 10: Melbourne
Day Trip to Great Ocean Road (yes I do like driving)
(http://www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.a...g_map_2012.pdf)

- Day 11: Melbourne
St Kilda
St Kilda Beach
Any other suggestions to add?

- Day 12: MEL-ADL
Central Market
Gouger St
Hutt St

- Day 13: Adelaide
Day Trip to Kangaroo Island
(https://www.sealink.com.au/kangaroo-...ghts-day-tour/)

- Day 14: ADL-HKG
0745/1400

Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kchika
Hello all, I've booked a last minute trip using my miles to Australia, departing next week. I've been to Sydney and Perth before, but that was quite a few years ago. I've done my research on FT, but would really appreciate advice and further suggestions.

As it stands, I'll be spending 5 nights around the Brisbane area (Brisbane, Noosa, Gold Coast), 3 in Sydney, 3 in Melbourne and 2 in Adelaide. Apart from fact that I could not change the HKG-BNE and ADL-HKG flights, everything else including the destinations and no. of days spent at each city could be changed.

I'll be renting a car throughout the entire trip. How does my itinerary look? Would the following itinerary be too rush and are there any other places that I've missed?
A lot of places in a short time. I would skip the Gold Coast. Noosa is better and sort of the same (beach). Spend more MEL to ADL http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=B...OR=&MAP-STYLE=

If you like driving better to do the to Great Ocean Road over 2 days. Or just keep driving to Kangaroo Island and then on to Adelaide.
Kangaroo Island is long day trip from ADL. Too long.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:54 pm

I'd spend some time out of the cities. They are fine, but what we really liked about Australia was the smaller towns and the outback. Rushing through the Great Ocean Road isn't my idea of fun. The little towns along the way are great places to stop. In addition, the Grampians is a wonderful place to do some hiking and see (LOTS) of kangaroos in their natural habitat. Take some time to just enjoy the country.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Im not a fan of the gold coast...id move that day elsewhere. And extra day on KI or add to the whole MEL - Ocean road -to KI- to ADL trip
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:33 pm

Quite busy for a holiday. Some of your driving times aren't possible with the activities you have mentioned.
You should consider flying flying between bne-syd and syd-mel. Both pretty standard hwy without stops or side trips and even with the airport travel overhead would be a third of the driving time or less.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConradS
Quite busy for a holiday. Some of your driving times aren't possible with the activities you have mentioned.
You should consider flying flying between bne-syd and syd-mel. Both pretty standard hwy without stops or side trips and even with the airport travel overhead would be a third of the driving time or less.
I assumed the BNE-SYD, SYD-MEL & MEL-ADL is by air. Agree driving in the time scale is not practical

Airlines that fly in Australia domestically
- Virgin Australia (Delta partner)
- Jetstar (a low cost low quality carrier with low-medium-high priced fares owned by QF)
- Qantas [OneWorld Alliance]
- Tiger Airways (a low cost low quality carrier with low fares part owned by Virgin Australia)
- Regional Express Airways (REX) Regional airline
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
BNE-SYD, SYD-MEL and MEL-ADL are indeed to be flown instead of driven. I've decided to drop Gold Coast and spend an extra day in Melbourne instead.

If anyone has suggestions for the following, it would be greatly appreciated:

- Day 3 (Noosa): Things to do in Noosa apart from exploring Headlands and Sunshine Coast?

- Day 8 (Sydney): Recommendations for a day tour apart from Port Stephens/Hunter Valley?

- Day 9/10/11 (Melbourne): Since I now have an extra day in MEL, are there anything that's also worth doing/going?

Bearing in mind that I come from the concrete jungle aka HKG, anything beach/wildlife/nature would be most ideal.

Once again, thanks for all your input so far.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- Day 9/10/11 (Melbourne): Since I now have an extra day in MEL, are there anything that's also worth doing/going?

Bearing in mind that I come from the concrete jungle aka HKG, anything beach/wildlife/nature would be most ideal.
Aussie cities are also concrete jungles, but not quiet the same scale as HKG.

If you like driving better to do the to Great Ocean Road over 2 days. Or just keep driving to Kangaroo Island and then on to Adelaide.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:11 am

BNE-SYD, SYD-MEL and MEL-ADL are indeed to be flown instead of driven. I've decided to drop Gold Coast and spend an extra day in Melbourne instead.

If anyone has suggestions for the following, it would be greatly appreciated:

- Day 3 (Noosa): Things to do in Noosa apart from exploring Headlands and Sunshine Coast?

- Day 8 (Sydney): Recommendations for a day tour apart from Port Stephens/Hunter Valley?

Once again, thanks for all your input so far.
Lol I had visions of you driving from bne to syd and then stumbling around the headland at coogee by torchlight.
Worth considering using a day in Sydney to get a ferry or two (or watertaxi) around the harbour. There is the zoo which is very good, Manly, Mosman bay and Watsons bay. Cockatoo island is worth a visit along with North head. There are walking trails that run around most of it now and walking back across the bridge is pretty cool.
In Melbourne a drive out by the bay to the mornington peninsula is always enjoyable. If you have the chance try one of Frank Camorras restaurants. Movida is the flagship but even the cheapie pacos tacos is worth a visit. Btw IMHO the Adelaide central market is way better than the Melbourne market.
KI is fantastic but difficult to see much on a day trip. Your time may be better used at somewhere like Victor Harbour with the coorong and strathalbyn fairly close. Second Valley is another option its beautiful and fairly close to Maclaren vale for wine tasting.
Have fun sounds like it'll be a great trip
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
I did 4 days in Sydney this past December and had 4 days in 2013 for Melbourne (plus a quick tag of Sydney for 2 days). It was good amount of days, but I wouldn't have minded to have more days as both cities have a tons to do. Personally 2 cities in 10 days is enough, but you can only know your own limits by trying it yourself. A friend of mine did that Contiki 10+ countries in Europe in 3 weeks tour ten years ago.

I'm still working my way through the tourist stuff in Sydney so don't have any personal recs. Just be sure to get up early for the Blue mountains - it's a loooong drive/train ride.

This is on the next time list for me (along with the Hunter Valley - though I rather see the Thoroughbred stud farms): the Royal National Park.

For MEL:

It's a bit of a drive, but I really liked Phillip Island to see the penguins. If you do the plus access, you can get pretty close and also watch them from the boardwalk as they go back to their burrows (near the Visitor Centre).

Oh wow, looks like they updated things since I was there in 2013 - they now have an enclosed underground area too so you don't have to freeze your butt off while watching the penguins at eye level. Much nicer.

If you get there a bit early you can look at the Nobbies - the headlands around the beach.

There's some pics of my visit (I did a van tour) to Phillip Island in my trip report - (scroll down a bit past the CBD/racecourse stuff).

There's an indoor rainforest thing in the Melbourne museum if you want some nature in the concrete jungle. Also there's quite a few parks in the city - Fitzroy and Yarra Park were the two closest to my hotel. It was great to start or end my day walking thru them.

People also rave about the Healsville Sanctuary for a more natural zoo experience with Aussie animals - it's on my list to do if I ever get to MEL again.

http://www.zoo.org.au/HealesvilleSanctuary
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: SQ & QF
I would skip Mt Coot-tha Lookout. Its nothing special and its not central to Brisbane.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I'll just piggyback onto this thread - anticipate we'll have 13 nights in Australia - planning this last minute. Want to see GBR, do a wine tour, Ayers Rock, ideally some beach time. Have a bunch of AA miles to burn and QF has good domestic awards so going to try to plan around that.

So thinking something like 2 nights Cairns - full day GBR tour
2 or 3 nights at Ayers Rock? Looking at the packages offered by Ayers Rock Resort but not sure how long to spend there, or if the resort is worth it?
Adelaide for a wine tour - do we need more than 2 nights there? Any suggested places to stay in Adelaide?

Have seen posters mention upthread that Gold Coast is less than desirable - just curious why? Was considering it as we can burn SPG points to stay at the Sheraton GC and there's decent availability in early March.

Thank you all for your expertise!
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Have seen posters mention upthread that Gold Coast is less than desirable - just curious why?
The front is just a strip of hotels and bars. Its where the younger Aussies go to party. There isn't anything special about it.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FN-GM
Its where the younger Aussies go to party.
I thought that was Kuta Got it thanks - any other beach destinations in Australia we should consider?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'll just piggyback onto this thread - anticipate we'll have 13 nights in Australia - planning this last minute. Want to see GBR, do a wine tour, Ayers Rock, ideally some beach time. Have a bunch of AA miles to burn and QF has good domestic awards so going to try to plan around that.

So thinking something like 2 nights Cairns - full day GBR tour
2 or 3 nights at Ayers Rock? Looking at the packages offered by Ayers Rock Resort but not sure how long to spend there, or if the resort is worth it?
Adelaide for a wine tour - do we need more than 2 nights there? Any suggested places to stay in Adelaide?

Have seen posters mention upthread that Gold Coast is less than desirable - just curious why? Was considering it as we can burn SPG points to stay at the Sheraton GC and there's decent availability in early March.

Thank you all for your expertise!
Each 'move' will be a day out of your 13 days.

So arrive SYD on day 1; stay awake, walk around

Day 2,3,4 SYD

Day 5 fly to ADL

Day 6,7 ADL

Day 8 fly to AYQ

Day 9 Uluru

Day 10 Fly to CNS (arguably there is a 5PM to CNS arrving at 9PM)

Day 11,12 CNS/GBR

Day 13 Fly to SYD/Go home

So 13 days; 3 in SYD, 2 in ADL 2 in GBR, 1 at Uluru...8 days of being there and 5 days of getting there.

Just my 2 cents

Consider:

Day 1 Arrive

7 days in SYD: two days at the blue mountains; a few day trips; maybe a 2 day drive south; or a two day drive up to the hunter valley (wine country). You will get a GREAT perspective of a lot of different ways aussies live. There is cool stuff to do all over.

Day 8 Fly to CNS; half a day trip.

4 days CNS: Port Douglas resort- with a day trip to two to the GBR; lay on the beach; Daintree rainforest; (I wanted to stay at Niramaya VIllas- check that out; decided to do Silky Oaks)

Fly to SYD, Fly home.

Im doing SYD-ADL-KI-AYQ-ASP-CNS-SYD in early march...but over 28 days. The only reason I am doing ayers rock is a 4x4 rental and a few days of driving around Kings Canyon and some other 4x4 only tracks. I would not do it for just uluru and tourists. (I also am doing my own stuff there- Had a booking at Longitude 131 and decided I would be annoyed at the value and 'handling'- staying at Sails of the Desert)

Finally, this is just how *I* am wired and offer it as another perspective- people shouldnt take this as an attack, I just contrast it so folks can appreciate the difference. We all have different paces and different ways of accumulating enjoyment!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.