Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks so much for the links... definitely will be taking a look at those
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by worldiswide
is the road inland from christchurch to nelson open? We have fairly open plans in mid February but always good to know. What's the best source for road closures - what caused the the several hour closures?
Slips caused by heavy rain caused the temporary closure of Lewis Pass (between Christchurch and Nelson). This is not common but may happen a couple of times a year (can also close by snow a few times each winter).

Since these highways are important links (not many alternative routes), they are usually reopened very quickly.

To keep an eye on road closures try transit.govt.nz for state highways, or aaroadwatch.co.nz
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...rday-afternoon
Arthur's Pass to stay closed until at least Saturday afternoon
MADDISON NORTHCOTT AND JACK FLETCHER
Last updated 21:08, January 20 2017

The road through Arthur's Pass will remain closed until at least Saturday afternoon while workers clear a massive slip blocking the highway.

However, more bad weather is set to delay progress.

Thursday's "bomb low" weather system caused widespread flooding and downed trees across the South Island, closing many roads and disrupting travel.
<snip>
Edit Update Monday 07:00 23 Jan (NZ time)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...ane-on-tuesday
A single lane of the road through Arthur's Pass is expected to reopen on Tuesday.

State Highway 73 between Jacksons and Arthur's Pass was closed after torrential rain caused slips over the road on Thursday.

New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) representatives initially thought the road would reopen by Saturday afternoon. It was then revised to at least Monday morning, but on Sunday Christchurch Transport Operations Centre team leader Tresca Forrester said more bad weather had affected the clearing of the slips.
<snip>
The Arthur's Pass area has had 413 millimetres of rain since Tuesday evening, including nearly 50mm on Sunday.

The main access route to the West Coast is now over the Lewis Pass, which adds an hour-and-a-half to travel time.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 22, 2017 at 11:12 am Reason: update
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Slips caused by heavy rain caused the temporary closure of Lewis Pass (between Christchurch and Nelson). This is not common but may happen a couple of times a year (can also close by snow a few times each winter).

Since these highways are important links (not many alternative routes), they are usually reopened very quickly.

To keep an eye on road closures try transit.govt.nz for state highways, or aaroadwatch.co.nz
Thanks for the info. Isn't heavy rain unusual for this time of Year? I'm hoping for real summer weather to get out of winter on this side of the world
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Thanks for the info. Isn't heavy rain unusual for this time of Year? I'm hoping for real summer weather to get out of winter on this side of the world
Heavy rain can happen any time on the west coast and the southern alps - these are some of the wettest places on the planet. That said, the worst is in the mountains and not the towns etc where people live/visit.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:28 pm

Thanks again. Leaning from FT yet again
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Car rental or Taxi/Uber?

Will be my 1st time in Auckland later this month. I arrive day 1 and head to the Skycity Grand hotel. Day 2 I need to visit a customer near the airport and then return to the hotel. Day 3 = go back to airport for departure. I'm thinking taxi/Uber would be my best bet. Would there be any reason to hire a car instead? I would have to pay for a sat nav and hotel parking. I don't want to stay in a hotel near the airport because its my 1st time in NZ and I'd like to see some of it.

By the way, I'm from California, but routinely drive in the UK. I always exceed the speed limit on motorways by a lot! Over the years, I've got three letters in the mail from Hertz on different occasions saying that I've been caught by speed cameras and my information has been forwarded to authorities. Nothing more ever happens. I keep waiting to be refused entry into the country or something.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Will be my 1st time in Auckland later this month. I arrive day 1 and head to the Skycity Grand hotel. Day 2 I need to visit a customer near the airport and then return to the hotel. Day 3 = go back to airport for departure. I'm thinking taxi/Uber would be my best bet. Would there be any reason to hire a car instead?
No. Just take a taxi or uber.
Skybus from/to the airport is an option if you want to save the company a few cents.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:11 pm

Just come back from a couple of weeks in New Zealand. We luckily were able to take the Tranzalpine.

Really enjoyed driving in New Zealand (was in the South Island). Single lanes for sure, but pretty easy on the traffic. Just got to be a bit careful and slower around the windy roads, apart from that, found the driving pretty easy going.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theworld
Just come back from a couple of weeks in New Zealand. We luckily were able to take the Tranzalpine.
The Tranzalpine is not running for the next 6 weeks (or more). There was a fire at the weekend that has damaged some wooden bridge supports and other infrastructure.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8913...east-six-weeks
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The Tranzalpine is not running for the next 6 weeks (or more). There was a fire at the weekend that has damaged some wooden bridge supports and other infrastructure.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8913...east-six-weeks
We were extremely lucky then, as it was closed just before we were there due to the weather bomb. First day of operation after the weather bomb was when we rode it on 26 Jan. Had no idea about the fires.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theworld
We were extremely lucky then, as it was closed just before we were there due to the weather bomb. First day of operation after the weather bomb was when we rode it on 26 Jan. Had no idea about the fires.
I can see the midland rail (West Coast) line from where I am. You could have stood in the open car and waved.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:19 pm

This thread has grown from driving in NZ tips to include vehicle rental tips for NZ, so I'll add one of the latter ...

Because tourists typically head south with vehicles in NZ, rental ("hire") cars tend to accumulate in the southern parts of each island. E.g. Wellington for the North Island and Christchurch and Queenstown for the South Island.

So you can find very good deals if you happen to being headed northbound and can help companies relocate vehicles. A typical example would be $1 a day rental out of CHC for 3 days with a free tank of gas and 900kms included if you'll drop off the car in Nelson, Blenheim or Picton.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quokka
This thread has grown from driving in NZ tips to include vehicle rental tips for NZ, so I'll add one of the latter ..
Unfortunately yes: way off topic
There was a useful independent thread "Car rental or Taxi/Uber?"

https://www.transfercar.co.nz/
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by Quokka
This thread has grown from driving in NZ tips to include vehicle rental tips for NZ, so I'll add one of the latter ...

Because tourists typically head south with vehicles in NZ, rental ("hire") cars tend to accumulate in the southern parts of each island. E.g. Wellington for the North Island and Christchurch and Queenstown for the South Island.

So you can find very good deals if you happen to being headed northbound and can help companies relocate vehicles. A typical example would be $1 a day rental out of CHC for 3 days with a free tank of gas and 900kms included if you'll drop off the car in Nelson, Blenheim or Picton.
You can ususally manage to string them together for a week or so or rental cars for under $20 eg: Queenstown to to CHC, change car CHC to greymouth, back on the Tranzalpine Train, pick up another car for CHC to Picton. Catch the ferry across to wellington, and then get another relocation car to Auckland.

Note that it's only two days max for the ZQN-CHC relocation, and three for the others with Avis/Budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.