Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney, Auckland, Bora Bora

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Sydney, Auckland, Bora Bora

I'm trying to get a 20-year anniversary trip booked and Bora Bora bit is getting a little outside of my comfort zone and level of expertise so hope that folks here will help me out.

We are looking to depart the U.S. on September 2 returning September 20th. Arriving in Sydney via Delta Airlines on September 4 for 4 nights, traveling on to Auckland for 5 nights, and then on to Bora Bora for 5 nights. We've been to Sydney before so not wanting to spend as much time there. Never been to New Zealand, and OTW bungalow in Bora Bora is a bucket list item.

Paying for hotels with points, coach class tickets but GUC for portions of the Delta flights.

Getting to and back from Bora Bora appears to be the challenge. What do most people do when arriving in PPT in the middle of the night and have what appears to be 8-9 hours stuck in the airport until your flight leaves the next morning?

Any other suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I haven't had anyone get into PPT super late at night, but they are usually coming from the US, not AKL, so maybe that is where it is causing an issue. You could get a cheap room near the airport for the long layover, or at least that is what I would do.

I wouldn't do 5 nights in Auckland. I love, love New Zealand, but Auckland is not a true representation of the country. If you want to do a couple nights there, you can stay in Auckland itself or my recommendation is Waiheke Island. From there, depending on your interests, you could go to Wellington, Nelson, or the ever so popular (and deserving so) Queenstown.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Thanks Travel K,

Any suggestions on getting to/from any of the places that you mentioned in New Zealand? We will only have five nights from the time we arrive in Auckland - so we'd like to make the most of it. Bora Bora is where we will decompress from the rest of the trip before heading back home.

Everything that I've found between Auckland and Bora Bora (via PPT) has an 8+ hour layover in PPT and apparently you cross the international date line and that adds more craziness to the mix.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
To get to Waiheke, there is a ferry, I think it is a 30 minute ride. For Queenstown, flying is the best option, waaaaayy too far to drive. Flights within NZ I find to be pretty cheap and are not the insane hassle we have to go through.

In all honesty, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to spend all 5 nights in Queenstown. More than enough to do in the area.

Originally Posted by bigjim
Thanks Travel K,

Any suggestions on getting to/from any of the places that you mentioned in New Zealand? We will only have five nights from the time we arrive in Auckland - so we'd like to make the most of it. Bora Bora is where we will decompress from the rest of the trip before heading back home.

Everything that I've found between Auckland and Bora Bora (via PPT) has an 8+ hour layover in PPT and apparently you cross the international date line and that adds more craziness to the mix.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I'm trying to get a 20-year anniversary trip booked and Bora Bora bit is getting a little outside of my comfort zone and level of expertise so hope that folks here will help me out.

We are looking to depart the U.S. on September 2 returning September 20th. Arriving in Sydney via Delta Airlines on September 4 for 4 nights, traveling on to Auckland for 5 nights, and then on to Bora Bora for 5 nights. We've been to Sydney before so not wanting to spend as much time there. Never been to New Zealand, and OTW bungalow in Bora Bora is a bucket list item.

Paying for hotels with points, coach class tickets but GUC for portions of the Delta flights.

Getting to and back from Bora Bora appears to be the challenge. What do most people do when arriving in PPT in the middle of the night and have what appears to be 8-9 hours stuck in the airport until your flight leaves the next morning?

Any other suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

What do you like to/want to do in NZ. If you are on North Island, you can do Waitomo and Rotorua. There is a lot to do around Queenstown, but it's very touristy and expensive. Stay out of the cities in NZ and you will enjoy yourself much more and see the real beauty. You won't find that spending your time in airport transfers. Driving NZ is a great way to see it
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:08 am

I have the same issue as you but we are arriving into PPT so we will just stay the night at a hotel on PPT since we will leave next afternoon to Bora Bora.

Indeed coming from AKL to PPT flight arrivals are at bad times.

Guess you can't just skip PPT on the way back and go direct to US?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:15 am

Access to Papeete is through LAX,AKL,HNL,NRT, and a few local S Pacific Islands. Air Tahiti does not have all that good a reputation for service nor comfort and Air NZ arrives at un-Godly hours. But Air France has several direct flights a week, using B777, from LAX arriving around 5:30am next day. This would fix your onward times to Bora Bora. This would allow you to construct LAX-PPT-AKL-LAX and you have no need to include SYD at all.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:41 pm

My fiance and I are trying to do NZ and Bora Bora for our honeymoon in early Nov. 2017. The LAX-PPT-AKL-LAX flight you mentioned above is exactly what we are looking for. We will be starting our flights out of NY.

Flying this route on Air France, does PPT count as a free stopover? I am obviously attempting to only use points for the flights and business class is preferred.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by departingBOS
My fiance and I are trying to do NZ and Bora Bora for our honeymoon in early Nov. 2017. The LAX-PPT-AKL-LAX flight you mentioned above is exactly what we are looking for. We will be starting our flights out of NY.

Flying this route on Air France, does PPT count as a free stopover? I am obviously attempting to only use points for the flights and business class is preferred.
Will depend on the rules of your ffp
Effectively Air NZ does not offer award flights to others in Star Alliance, other than 1 or 2 routes (not these)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Effectively Air NZ does not offer award flights to others in Star Alliance, other than 1 or 2 routes (not these)
Indeed tried to use united miles to book on Air NZ but you can't. I ended up buying my tickets for air NZ using my SPG points.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:24 am

We did a similar trip last Christmas in reverse...we did BOS-PPT then to Cook Islands to AKL. We went to Bora Bora on previous trip so getting to PPT was just a short stay to catch their flight to Cook Islands. Anyways, PPT international terminal is semi open air so suggest you to book a room either across the street at the Airport Motel or if you have IHG points stay there

5 nights in Auckland is too much, we stayed 2 just because we were visiting a friend then we drove down to Rotorua, it has plenty to see and more interesting in that area! I m working on posting the NZ pics to my blog so PM me if interested!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by MissVacation
We did a similar trip last Christmas in reverse...we did BOS-PPT then to Cook Islands to AKL. We went to Bora Bora on previous trip so getting to PPT was just a short stay to catch their flight to Cook Islands. Anyways, PPT international terminal is semi open air so suggest you to book a room either across the street at the Airport Motel or if you have IHG points stay there

5 nights in Auckland is too much, we stayed 2 just because we were visiting a friend then we drove down to Rotorua, it has plenty to see and more interesting in that area! I m working on posting the NZ pics to my blog so PM me if interested!
What airline and type of points did you use to get BOS-PPT? How far in advance to you find availability and book this flight?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
Indeed tried to use united miles to book on Air NZ but you can't. I ended up buying my tickets for air NZ using my SPG points.
I booked on Air New Zealand PPT-AKL using United miles just last month. I had no trouble at all, even found 2 seats.

I don't know where Mwenenzi got the info that Air NZ does not offer award flights to Star Alliance members, I have found lots of availability using United miles in the past. Now, that doesn't mean every flight has availability...

If you can't find Air NZ availability with United miles, you can use Delta or AA miles to book AKL-PPT on Air Tahiti Nui. I'd recommend just grabbing a hotel the night you arrive and head to Bora Bora in the AM.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I booked on Air New Zealand PPT-AKL using United miles just last month. I had no trouble at all, even found 2 seats.

I don't know where Mwenenzi got the info that Air NZ does not offer award flights to Star Alliance members, I have found lots of availability using United miles in the past. Now, that doesn't mean every flight has availability...
You are correct sir, I just checked United website! I booked my flights back in early Dec and called United and Air NZ to try and book this flight on points. I was advised that this was one of the few routes you could not book using united points, I guess that has change which is good news but to late for me. Maybe I can check to see if I can upgrade my current flights.

Mav- when did you book as this must be a recent change.

It appears they may only be available starting in Aug?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:34 am

Also thinking about PPT from AKL-times are horrible. I don't think there's a way out of spending the night in PPT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.