Wiki Posts
Search

Broome to Darwin vs Darwin to Uluru overland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Broome to Darwin vs Darwin to Uluru overland

For our second trip to Australia, in September, having already 'done' the east coast and Tasmania we are considering combining a few days in Melbourne with an overland outback trip.

Option 1 would be Broome to Darwin, taking in the highlights.

Option 2 would be Darwin to Ayers Rock.

We have 7-9 days. The first option sounds more appealing and less mass-touristy. However, while prepared to rent a 4WD we have little experience of true off-road driving. We also want to avoid camping or joining an organised tour. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
What highlights are you looking for? Parts are very rugged country, but generally 4WD is not required except in the wet (and then you need much more than just 4WD). Really stunning but need a well planned trip to be fun. Otherwise you wind up having dozens of hours breathing choking dust and pounded by washback roads. A few routes are true wilderness (EPIRB required).
In general better off flying. But I don't want to discourage you, it can be the trip of a lifetime.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: VAG
Darwin to Ayer's Rock is a drive. Darwin to Broome is an adventure. But it is sealed road the whole way, as I understand it. A 4WD is worth having anyway, though, for visiting the national parks along the way.

I'd definitely be inclined towards the Darwin-Broome drive if you've got the time, the money, and the inclination.

Just make sure you know what you're getting in for, read some articles about outback driving in Australia and take their advice (carry plenty of water, plan your fuel stops carefully, stay with your vehicle if it breaks down, etc).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From Darwin to Alice you can go by train http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/...alice_springs/

People drive from Darwin to Alice in Toyota Corollas. OK if you stay on the sealed road

Originally Posted by Jorgen
....take their advice (carry plenty of water, plan your fuel stops carefully, stay with your vehicle if it breaks down, etc).
Some do not, and do not survive. Others are more lucky
http://www.news.com.au/national/west...-1227590626889

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 2, 2015 at 12:23 am
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I'm putting in a vote for Broome to Darwin. And......an organised tour - horizontal falls. Fly from Derby about 2pmish, back next morning about 8amish or something. It doesn't take much time out of your touring. The boat, bed overnight is comfy. Best way to do it AND worth it IMO. I'd love to go back. Take a look at you tube horizontal falls seaplanes I think. There's a prison tree which you might as well see in the area. An interesting shaped tree but also some interesting/saddening historical info at the site on Australia's past.

Windjana gorge is quite cool landscape wise, lots of little freshwater crocs but a long way to go. Tunnel creek just down the road from there.

Broome itself has cable bay beach with pretty cool sunsets, gantheaume point amazing red rock/turquoise blue ocean with cable beach as contrast. Matso brewery yum! There's a very good croc farm with other animals just outside of broome but they guy doing the show had good stories eg people asking him if they should run in a zig zag or straight line if trying to outrun a saltie! Museum was closed when I went by.

I think whether you need a 4wd or not depends on what road you take?

I'm pretty sure there's more enroute like the bungle bungles. Places like Mitchell plateau, Monterrey reef would require heli or boat tour I think. Then there's all the national parks around Darwin.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, VA Velocity
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Just make sure you know what you're getting in for, read some articles about outback driving in Australia and take their advice (carry plenty of water, plan your fuel stops carefully, stay with your vehicle if it breaks down, etc).
... and if you're planning to drive off the beaten track consider hiring a satellite phone. Expensive but could save your life.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
A bit late to this but thought I'd add in my thoughts – finally a thread on FT I feel I can legitimately contribute to!

Last year I drove the west coast of Australia from Perth up to Darwin, over three and a bit weeks and it was truly awesome. Broome was pretty much the half way point so Broome to Darwin in around 9 days is doable but potentially a push with a lot of driving. You are on sealed roads the whole way if you stick to National Highway 1 but will be off road if you go via the Gibb River Road.

As mentioned above, Broome has some great beaches and the sunset over cable beach was unforgettable, just watch out for the camel train coming up after doing their sunset 'cruise'!

If driving the sealed road, natural stop off points after Broome were Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek (plenty of opportunity to get off road to see the historic old town area and China Wall), then up to Kununurra. We flew back down to the Bungle Bungles from Kununurra to stay one night there as I didn't fancy driving in when the water levels would still have been pretty high but going in September, if you wanted to you could probably drive in as I don't think the creeks would have filled up by then – probably still need a 4WD though. The entrance is around 80km (I think) after Halls Creek with around 2.5/3 hour time to drive in once off the main road – they're certainly worth a visit if you can spare the time and easy to self- guide once inside.

We flew back up to Kununurra then drove on to Katherine for Nitmiluk National Park and Litchfield National Park en route to arriving back in Darwin.

However, I do second the suggestion of Windjana Gorge as mentioned above – I didn't have the time but would happily re-drive the route again and try and include that as well as El Questro near Wyndham but these all require driving on unsealed roads or taking a tour.

I've just come back from a Sydney to Adelaide costal trip – my aim is to drive the complete circumference of Australia where possible - but the thing which gets me every time is just the vastness of the country. Don't underestimate the distance to cover from Broome to Darwin!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
El Questro homestead is the iconic destination with a unique range of accomodation options at all price points (the upper end being stratospheric, also was a give-away to academy award winners in some years so you can end up having lunch with <insert celebrity here> at the end of the world). On my list of must-do destinations but haven't made it there yet, due to the remoteness and the seasonality (unreachable parts of the year).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.