Wiki Posts
Search

Europe to Fiji - best route / airline?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Europe to Fiji - best route / airline?

The Mrs and I want to go to Fiji in September next year (Business class, leaving between 4th-7th, coming back between 24-26th). The journey should ideally start in MUC and end in LHR, though technically start/end from any European hub is possible.

Did a bit of research over the past few days and found out the following things:
- Routings via Asia seem to be generally cheaper than via the US
- Korean Air is significantly cheaper than anybody else plus one needs only 1 stop in ICN compared to many other routes
- Fiji Airways seems relatively cheap as well and routing would also only involve one stop in HKG or LAX, however their Business Class product looks a bit like the old LH Business and I'm not sure whether we want to spend 10h+ in a non-full-flat seat

Our favourite routing so far, despite not being the cheapest, is outbound on LH/NZ via LAX and AKL and inbound on NZ via LAX to LHR (booking from/to MUC but not getting on the last leg)

Questions to the forum:
- Why is Korean so much cheaper than any other airline? We're talking c. £3,100 p.p. vs. min. £4,000 on any other airline/routing
- Did anyone fly on Fiji Airways since their rebranding and can give any views on their Business product for a 10h+ journey? Found a bunch of trip reports but most were from Sydney to Nadi or other short trips for which I wouldn't mind the fully flat seat...
- Is there potentially another obvious routing / option to consider which I might have missed?

I'm BA Silver, points/miles are not really top of mind for this trip. If we book all on LH/NZ, this should be enough to reach *A Silver but then again, there's not a huge amount of benefits attached to that status...
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I've done LAX-NAN-AKL on FJ earlier this year. The LAX-NAN J seat is a good product IMO. The FA's are a bit more variable. They might not be lie flat officially, but they're close enough to make no difference IMO. For the price FJ tickets usually are they're more than worth the price difference compared to most other carriers.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:00 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
KE is cheaper in J mostly because of their past history plus many Korean companies dont allow J travel for employees. KE had one of the worst safety records many years ago -- since fixed -- but the legacy of that era taints their selection. Cockpit management was a big problem, several crashes were due to co-pilot knowing plane was going to crash and unable to speak up to challenge the captain who was doing the wrong thing. Aggravated by most captains being ex-Korean military with brilliant fighter pilot expertise but limited commercial airline time, while most co-pilots were hired directly by KE and had no military background. Asiana did equally well with that 777 crash at SFO, botched landing with perfect weather and entirely due to pilot incompetence. KE did hire DL to teach them how to fly properly I avoided KE in the past but did choose to fly them ICN-JFK once as schedule mattered. In-flight service is quite good so no problems on quality of service front.

FJ has great service and a much improved hard product, but it still isn't a lie-flat seat in J. But a decade ago most airlines didn't have flat beds in F much less J, how our expectations have escalated. Personally I would take KE in your situation.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
From Europe, going via ICN is a great idea. It's noticeable in NAN airport that KE has a presence there - Quantas and Newzealand are obvious airlines, but Korea is a bit unusual in NAN airport. If you have a choice, the more direct you fly, the less time it will take.

FJ J is Ok, the seats are new, and almost comfy enough for 10 hours, but you won't really sleep well. I flew the new planes in May and June, and I flew Air Tahiti Nui last year on planes that look very similarly spec'd. The FJ product is much better, a little more comfy, fewer broken pieces, and cabin a bit better laid out, but certainly not top-tier J - but then it's much cheaper.

Have fun in Fiji!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Note if you do end up flying NZ, only some flights between AKL and NAN have business class. You need 777, 787 or 767 aircraft - A320 are economy only.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I had flown FJ in 2013 BNE-NAN-LAX. I liked the hard product and was surprised by the solid 7 hour sleep I had. Soft product (wine, food) was a bit weak, but the price was right/FAs gave good service.

My initial thoughts were MUC-LAX-NAN, but given the price variance and what is likely going to be a much more internationally competitive business product, I would recommend KE. You also get to avoid the "joy"that is a US transit.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Note if you do end up flying NZ, only some flights between AKL and NAN have business class. You need 777, 787 or 767 aircraft - A320 are economy only.
Oh, you make the funny funny joke

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.