Wiki Posts
Search

SYD/MEL split recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
SYD/MEL split recommendation?

With limited time, what amount would y'all recommend devoted to SYD vs. MEL?

I'm arriving in MEL at 1pm on a Thursday (January 2016) and departing from SYD at 830am on the next Tuesday so I basically have 4.5 days to spend in the area. Sydney seems to have more touristy stuff (or at least be more talked about), but I've also been through on a long stopover and looked at the opera house, bridge, etc. (though it was overnight so I didn't go in anywhere).

The other option I have is only going to Melbourne - my return is SYD-MEL-LAX but I could drop the SYD-MEL leg and just be in Melbourne the entire time. I'm not a big fan of driving so doing the ocean road isn't really appealing unless someone else is behind the wheel.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
You don't say what date in January, but Australia Day is on 26 January and is a public holiday. Sydney Harbour has fireworks and it is pretty active. I would be tempted to spend the whole time in either Sydney or Melbourne. It is the middle of summer, so it could be 40 degrees all week (or, in Melbourne it could be 20 degrees - why? just because). The days are long, with sunset being after 8.30pm. There is plenty to do in and around Melbourne (and Sydney) just google what events are on. During the Australian Open (tennis), Melbourne is very alive. So, pick one and immerse yourself in it.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: VAG
You can either spend a relaxed four days in either city or a rushed two days in both. They're both big cities with plenty to see, so I wouldn't try to do a one-day three-day split or anything like that.

Sydney does have more touristy stuff but if you've already seen the Harbour Bridge and Opera House then... well, a lot of the touristy stuff is just ways of seeing the Harbour Bridge and Opera House from different angles.

Melbourne hotels can be on the expensive side when the Australian Open is on. Of course, if you like tennis...

The Australia Day fireworks in Sydney aren't that impressive, nothing like the New Year's fireworks, so I wouldn't make plans based around them.

I think it comes down to travel personality. Are you the type to immerse yourself in a city for a while, or the type to dash around seeing as much as possible?

My inclination, if I only had four days, and had already done a whirlwind tour of Sydney, would be to just hang out in Melbourne for the duration.

(I'm a Sydneysider living in Melbourne so I don't think I'm too biased.)
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crocodile
You don't say what date in January, but Australia Day is on 26 January and is a public holiday. Sydney Harbour has fireworks and it is pretty active.
I'm arriving on the 28th, aka just after that.

Originally Posted by Crocodile
I would be tempted to spend the whole time in either Sydney or Melbourne.
Makes sense. Melbourne seems simpler given my restrictions too.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
- my return is SYD-MEL-LAX but I could drop the SYD-MEL leg and just be in Melbourne the entire time.
If it's all one ticket and you don't show for the SYD-MEL leg the airline
may/will cancel the MEL-LAX leg.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:01 am

Just a side note, but you haven't "done" Sydney until you've been to one of its beaches in summer, and those in Melbourne can't hold a candle to them.

Having lived there for a few years, I'm honestly not sure what a tourist would do in Melbourne itself for 4 days. The Yarra Valley & Mornington Peninsula make nice daytrip/overnight excursions, but neither is really feasible unless you're willing to drive or join a group tour.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Personal opinion from a Yank who has been to both and has non-FT friends in both: I'd probably rather live in Melbourne, but I'd spend the time in Sydney rather than rushing to give them each some time. Visit at least one beach (as just suggested). Climb the bridge. Go to Darling Harbour. Visit the Blue Mountains. Check out the museum(s) that cover whatever floats your boat. You won't be bored.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Having lived there for a few years, I'm honestly not sure what a tourist would do in Melbourne itself for 4 days. The Yarra Valley & Mornington Peninsula make nice daytrip/overnight excursions, but neither is really feasible unless you're willing to drive or join a group tour.
I hadn't done detailed planning yet, but the top of the list seemed to be
* Sporting events - the open's going on then and there's also an Australia/India cricket thing on the 29th but I'm guessing it might be hard to get tickets for that
* Museums/sights - Melbourne museum, national gallery, royal exhibition building, shrine of remembrance/botanical gardens, one or more cathedrals, etc.

Having not plotted things on a map, I'm guessing that's at least 2 days worth of stuff to do. I could see stretching those plus a couple other things to hit 4 days without too much trouble.

Originally Posted by Efrem
Personal opinion from a Yank who has been to both and has non-FT friends in both: I'd probably rather live in Melbourne, but I'd spend the time in Sydney rather than rushing to give them each some time. Visit at least one beach (as just suggested). Climb the bridge. Go to Darling Harbour. Visit the Blue Mountains. Check out the museum(s) that cover whatever floats your boat. You won't be bored.
There does seem to be a larger number of tourist activities in walking/transit distance in Sydney. But given jpatokal's statement that 4 days is practically too much for Melbourne, I was thinking it would make sense to do all the in-city things on this trip and then come back to visit Sydney when I have more time.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
* Sporting events - the open's going on then and there's also an Australia/India cricket thing on the 29th but I'm guessing it might be hard to get tickets for that
If you've never been to a cricket match I wouldn't suggest day four of a test match (a test match can go for up to five days). At that time of year there is plenty of shorter form "Twenty 20" cricket that takes about 3 hours to play and has plenty of big hitting shots. It's a much better introduction to cricket, imo.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:57 am
tt7

Originally Posted by bensyd
If you've never been to a cricket match I wouldn't suggest day four of a test match (a test match can go for up to five days). At that time of year there is plenty of shorter form "Twenty 20" cricket that takes about 3 hours to play and has plenty of big hitting shots. It's a much better introduction to cricket, imo.
The OP will be here on January 29, not December 29 (which is day four of the West Indies test match). The January 29 India match is indeed a Twenty 20 game. Starts at 7pm, tickets go on sale on August 10. Should get a good crowd but, given the MCG has a capacity of 100,000 (+/-), shouldn't be an issue with getting a ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.