Wiki Posts
Search

What happens post-disaster? Edition: Vanuatu

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
What happens post-disaster? Edition: Vanuatu

So I have this big trip booked around the world and had planned to spend a week in Vanuatu in late April. Obviously it's early to tell what the situation will be like there in a few weeks, but there have been analogues to this situation before. Haiti and Sumatra come to mind as far as the devastation. I'm wondering what to expect- I'm totally down with doing a holiday of helping clean up or build homes, or providing medical care. Just wondering if anyone has similar experiences to share.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
By then the airport will be reopened. Depending on where in Vanuatu you are visiting, there may be no or limited accommodation.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
You might want to check the Australian government's website closer to your travel dates to see if they recommend (or recommend against) travel to Vanuatu.

Details can be found here: http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

Current advice is to 'reconsider need to travel' along with the following:

• Most of Vanuatu is not suitable for tourism at this time. Accommodation options, particularly in Port Vila, are limited. Many hotels in Port Vila do not have electricity or access to clean water. It is likely that hotels will close for repair and existing bookings may be cancelled at short notice. In these circumstances, it is very unlikely that travellers would be able to find alternative accommodation.
  • Australians considering travel to Vanuatu should confirm bookings with their airline, hotel and tour operators. Subscribe to this travel advice to receive an email notification each time it is updated. We recommend that you defer any decisions on travel until the full extent of the damage to Vanuatu is known. Contact your airline, tour operator or travel insurer for more information.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daichovo
So I have this big trip booked around the world and had planned to spend a week in Vanuatu in late April. Obviously it's early to tell what the situation will be like there in a few weeks, but there have been analogues to this situation before. Haiti and Sumatra come to mind as far as the devastation. I'm wondering what to expect- I'm totally down with doing a holiday of helping clean up or build homes, or providing medical care. Just wondering if anyone has similar experiences to share.
I've seen some photos of the damage done to my religious community's school on Vanuatu. It's every bit as bad as the destruction I experienced in southern Mississippi in 2005, and without the ready infrastructure afforded by an adjacent mostly undamaged continent to help with repairs.

It took two months before electricity was restored in Mississippi after Katrina. There is no way Vanuatu is going to be back in business in a few weeks. It will take months just for basic services, shelter, and water to be restored.

If you want to go to help, the best (and likely only) way to do so is to connect with an organization that can provide the necessary logistical support. I suppose the Australian Red Cross might be a good place in enquire.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: NZ Koru
If you're flying Air New Zealand, they have been offering flexibility to change flights etc. If you might be worth contacting them about what options you have?

Accommodation will be very limited, and that is if you get any at all.

I'd say most of the basic services should be back within an month or two, as the NZ/AU Goverment have already sent teams up to start repairing.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
Switch to Santo

Espiritu Santo was barely hit and the hotels are all up and running. So if your Efate hotel is not ready, Air Vanuatu will probably help you get to Santo rather than you not coming at all. A newsletter from Vanuatu Tourism says "please don't cancel" basically. http://www.travelweekly.com.au/artic...-for-business/ If you check Vanuatu Tourism on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/vanuatuislands?fref=ts you can get a better picture of which places you'd be burdening by visiting, and which places you'd be helping.

The lush greenery is not on Tanna any more, that's for sure, but the volcano hasn't gone anywhere! And some islands are essentially untouched. I'd say go - they need your money. Much of the speculation earlier in this thread is far too gloomy. I've been in touch with hotels on Efate that are open (but full of aid workers) and closed (but plan to open June 1st.) Even the places that were completely demolished have plans to be normal within a few months. This is nowhere near as densely populated as New Orleans, and much of the rebuilding is being done by hand without waiting for insurance payments or even the delivery of building materials. People are literally cutting up downed trees and starting to build a house. The hotels are posting pictures to Facebook of their progress in cleaning up. It's all happening remarkable quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.