Road trip north, south, or east of Perth in late May?

Old May 6, 14, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Road trip north, south, or east of Perth in late May?

Hi -

I'll be in Perth for a few days in late May, and will have 4 days free for a road trip. I'm trying to decide whether to drive south towards Albany and the southwest coast, inland, or north up the coast. I won't attempt to drive west, as I don't think my rental car will float

Does anyone out there have any favorite destinations in one of those 3 directions? I'm looking for something scenic and relaxed, with good food.

Many thanks for your advice!
Old May 6, 14, 8:05 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
You can't go past the Margaret River region, about 250-300km SSW of Perth, particularly if you want good food.

It's truffle season just east of Margaret River from late May. Eat up!

It's beautiful countryside and the coast, whilst beginning to get cold, will be ruggedly beautiful.

For food and view, I recommend Wise Winery just north of Dunsborough. There are other winery restaurants as well that are nice.

I wouldn't stay in Margaret River itself, the best accommodation is in the region but not in the township itself.

If you can get a cheap deal at Pullman Bunker Bay, that's worth staying at.
Old May 7, 14, 1:49 am

Programs: VA GOLD QF PLAT
About one day's drive north of Perth is Monkey Mia around Shark Bay. Amazing coastline and dolphins. Not much in between though.

East is Kalgoorlie. People talk about it but basically it's just a big country town with some nice 19th century buildings and the world's biggest open cut mine. Not my thing.

But J Class Traveller is right. The pick is the Margaret River region. Easily accessible, great wine, food, coastline, walks, bush, and the Pullman Bunker Bay is good. In the same general direction but further out are Albany and Esperance.
Old Jun 15, 15, 2:09 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I would like to BUMP this thread up. I am looking into flying into Perth for a week next week. I'm happy to hang out in Perth for 1-2 days, but am looking into renting a car and driving up to the Margaret River Valley. In addition to wine (tasting)/food are day hikes/walks (I do like to take photos) still a possibility given the time of year? And would I still be able to sample out truffles?

Any other thoughts?
Old Jun 15, 15, 9:43 am

Programs: KF & QFF
Truffle season is still in full swing & will be for the winter. You can visit the Manjimup Wine & Truffle Co which has a restaurant/cafe on site & even go on truffle hunts with the dogs. There is also a truffle festival in Manjimup called the Truffle Kerfuffle on the 26-28th June. If you don't make it to Manjimup quite a few restaurants in the Margaret River region will feature it on their menus. FYI Manjimup is about 130km (1:50hr drive) from Margaret River or 290km (3:10hrs) from Perth.

Last edited by Sethor; Jun 15, 15 at 9:51 am
Old Jun 16, 15, 2:10 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I will most certainly look to visit Manjimup. I had never heard of it and now I'm excited to go. Looks like the truffle hunts are not on the days I am in town and mostly booked out, sadly. Any other tips? Say on the cape to cape trail or anything else? I'm quite easy.

Thanks once again!
Old Jun 17, 15, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jamoldo View Post
I would like to BUMP this thread up. I am looking into flying into Perth for a week next week. I'm happy to hang out in Perth for 1-2 days, but am looking into renting a car and driving up to the Margaret River Valley. In addition to wine (tasting)/food are day hikes/walks (I do like to take photos) still a possibility given the time of year? And would I still be able to sample out truffles?

Any other thoughts?
June can be wet, cold and miserable in Margaret River so if you want to do any outdoor activities I suggest some decent outdoor gear. Both capes are nice, especially Cape Leeuwin. I like the Margaret River Chocolate Company as well. Lots of gourmet food, beer and wine. The Cowaramup Brewing Company is nice but like most places in the area is probably better enjoyed when the weather is set fair.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: