Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does New Zealand fingerprint/bother US passport holders?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Does New Zealand fingerprint/bother US passport holders?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question...

Is New Zealand like the US, UK and Australia when it comes to the 1000 questions you're harassed with at passport control?

Or are they like most EU countries, Ireland, Thailand, Indonesia and so many others who just breeze Americans right through, sometimes not even opening the passport or at most giving a cursory glance to make sure you are the one in the photo?

Also do they fingerprint US citizens at passport control?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:31 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk lottaquestions. I am moving your thread to the Oceania Forum (which includes New Zealand and South Pacific).
Please follow there...
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:32 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
No fingerprinting. They do do biometric image matching though, but not at the Immigration booth, so if you're on a wanted list or in their database from a previous deportation or attempt at illegal entry they ping you. Immigration will run the passport and make sure it's actually you. Cursory questions if everything looks in order. They will enjoy hassling Yanks if they're given a reason to.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
About a decade ago, I did USA-CHC (via SYD)-SYD-USA, I was asked various questions because I had planned a short stay before my main SYD holiday. Immigrations thought I was there for work because I was not staying over the weekend. On my departure, I was asked similar questions with the final one why I wasn't spending more time in their beautiful country.

Unless times have changed in recent years, SYD/MEL immigrations have always been friendly and never asked any questions other than the purpose of my visit.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks SeriouslyLost and I suspect they may harass this yank since I live abroad. Not worried about any watch lists because my passport is regularly scanned at places like Morocco, Argentina, Hong Kong but they never ask any questions, welcome you with a smile. I always got harassed entering the UK until I just decided never to go back. And of course always get harassed when returning "home", so ridiculous
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: NZ*S
You won't be bothered terribly. Usual stuff - what are you intending to do, etc.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Gotta watch those immigration agents like a hawk ... with a brand new passport, the agent just opened the book to the middle and stamped before I noticed (tired) ... similar happen before with my last passport

.. very annoying
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Gotta watch those immigration agents like a hawk ... with a brand new passport, the agent just opened the book to the middle and stamped before I noticed (tired) ... similar happen before with my last passport

.. very annoying
At-least they give you a stamp, it must have been about 10-15 years ago that AKL give me a stamp.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
At-least they give you a stamp, it must have been about 10-15 years ago that AKL give me a stamp.
I requested one last month at AKL. They gave a generic NZ Customs stamp on my Oz passport.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Thanks SeriouslyLost and I suspect they may harass this yank since I live abroad.
They will ask a couple of questions, if that's what you mean by harassment. They aren't that interested in where you live except for bio-security reasons.

NZ isn't as lax as EU countries but still fairly easy.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks mandolino. A couple of questions is fine, "purpose of your trip", "how long are you staying", "where will you be staying" - those are normal.

What seriously puts me off is what they do in the UK - "how long have you lived abroad", "why do you live abroad", "when did you start living abroad" (as if trying to "trick" me into giving a wrong answer!!), "what is your job", "how long have been doing that", "do you have any relatives living in the UK" and on and on and on. This is arriving on a long distance flight in F or an inter-europe flight in J and staying at the Savoy.

After three times of that I just never returned. Much rather give my money to countries that are warm and welcoming....
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
You just needed to explain to the UK officials that not only do you fly F and stay at the Savoy, but that you are considerably richer than them.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

ROTFL mandolino - oh man ROTFL

Yeah, THAT is EXACTLY how to get a civil servant to like you ROTFL
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

mandolino just watched that youtube video also and have intense cramps, absolutely HYSTERICAL.

I've never heard of this guy Harry Enfield but I know expect to spend a long time on youtube watching his stuff. I hope it's all as funny as what you showed - many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.