Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Airport - International to Domestic Transfer on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Sydney Airport - International to Domestic Transfer on Sunday

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Australia in August this year. My flight will be a Garuda flight coming in from Jakarta arriving at 9:30am (Sunday, August 4th). I would like to book a flight to Goldcoast and am quite concerned after reading some posts in this forum.

It seems like I'd have to give 4 hours spare time to be safe, however, I'd like to fly Virgin and the most reasonable direct flight they have is at 1:10pm (the next direct flight is at 4:10pm). Any input whether this is a safe bet for me?

Alternatively, I could book a Jetstar flight at around 2pm with the flexible fare so that if I missed that flight (or arrived at the check in desk earlier than expected), I could still have the options to change flight times.

By the way, I will be flying with my family (5 people including 2 little kids). Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:44 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
3+ hours will be sufficient 99.9% of the time. Normally immigration, retrieving baggage and customs will take <1 hour, and over 2 hours is exceptional. You'd have to make your own way between terminals landside, using a Maxi taxi would make the most sense for 5 people and presumably lots of baggage, that would be another 30 min. Leaving plenty of time to check-in. Good luck.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
You'd have to make your own way between terminals landside, using a Maxi taxi would make the most sense for 5 people and presumably lots of baggage, that would be another 30 min.
The Airport Link train also runs between terminals, taking 2 minutes. However they charge $5 per person.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/terminal-transfers.php
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Exactly my point, the train costs more for 5 people and involves 10x more walking than using the taxi. Even with 15 min wait in the taxi queue, it will be faster by taxi than taking the train. Of course the QF airside bus is the best option, but OP isn't flying QF.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Exactly my point, the train costs more for 5 people and involves 10x more walking than using the taxi. Even with 15 min wait in the taxi queue, it will be faster by taxi than taking the train. Of course the QF airside bus is the best option, but OP isn't flying QF.
VA has an airside bus transfer too. They still need to collect luggage clear customs etc and then proceed to the Virgin transfer desk. Depending on ticketing they will either get it for free or pay a $15 at the transfer desk.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
VA has an airside bus transfer too. They still need to collect luggage clear customs etc and then proceed to the Virgin transfer desk. Depending on ticketing they will either get it for free or pay a $15 at the transfer desk.
How do you get it free? Last time I just went out to the bus and paid but was subsequently told that as a business class traveler I should have not needed to do so.

Next week I am coming the other way from VA to DL in business on one DL issued ticket. Will that entitle me to free tickets on the bus?
Old May 15, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
How do you get it free? Last time I just went out to the bus and paid but was subsequently told that as a business class traveler I should have not needed to do so.

Next week I am coming the other way from VA to DL in business on one DL issued ticket. Will that entitle me to free tickets on the bus?
I believe the transfer desk issues the voucher. Not sure as I have never had to use it personally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.