Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ever had a visa denied for an unpaid parking fine?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Question ever had a visa denied for an unpaid parking fine?

I was wondering if anyone ever had a visa denied due to an unpaid parking ticket from a city council in Australia?
And if such a notice is left unpaid for a number of years, does the fine get much more due to interest and all that?
If anyone know how this works or have experience in this please share.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Rambo66
I was wondering if anyone ever had a visa denied due to an unpaid parking ticket from a city council in Australia?
And if such a notice is left unpaid for a number of years, does the fine get much more due to interest and all that?

Why don't people just act like adults and pay up when they disobey the rules and get caught?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:59 am
Original Poster

because they lost their fine notices due to stupidity
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
It was probably sold to a collection agency who have long since written it off.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.

No, no mechanism exists to allow this to happen.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
In general, Australia is not the type of country that would not let someone in because of a parking-ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
In general, Australia is not the type of country that would not let someone in because of a parking-ticket.
They do however ask in the visa applications, if you owe any outstanding debt to the Australian government or public authority in Australia
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - This is the issue. I don't know of any country that denies visas / entry on the basis of unpaid parking tickets as such, but many countries simply track unpaid debts to the governments. Doesn't matter if it's a ticket, tax and so on. It's just a debt and it's a collection device not an immigration tool.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
They do however ask in the visa applications, if you owe any outstanding debt to the Australian government or public authority in Australia
And depending on how long ago the fines were incurred its likely that the debt has been sold.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:17 am
Original Poster

I decided to contact them about the fine, it was issued by a city council in South Australia for something like $50, 4 years ago.
The debt to the SA government or something is now $400, as the fine was sold to them and increased with reminder fees etc. I suppose it is a lesson well learned!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by cityflyer369

LOL
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I decided to contact them about the fine, it was issued by a city council in South Australia for something like $50, 4 years ago.
The debt to the SA government or something is now $400, as the fine was sold to them and increased with reminder fees etc. I suppose it is a lesson well learned!
Don't ask, don't tell - you have no REAL obligation to pay a cent.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:21 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by shillard
Don't ask, don't tell - you have no REAL obligation to pay a cent.
I agree and disagree.

To the OP:

If you don't ask and lie when answering the "debt to the government" question you will probably find that you will get a visa without any issues.

However, I disagree that you have no real obligation to pay your fine. You did the act, didn't pay the fine and are now LEGALLY obligated to pay it plus the additional fees. IMO you're also MORALLY obligated to do so.

The choice is yours. Pay the $400 and know you can get your visa and enjoy your stay or don't pay it and hope for the best.

Aside from the moral issue, the various governments (local, state, police, whatever) seem to be very lax about collecting fines. I know of a few people that have multiple unpaid parking and speeding tickets from various places in Oz and have never had any dramas as a result. Still able to renew their DL, still able to file tax returns and collect wages without having either garnished, still able to travel internationally, etc. Those that have tried have even been able to get National Police Clearances and Driving Conviction/Demerit Points printouts showing no outstanding warrants, convictions or demerit points!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:01 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
The question is "debt to the Commonwealth" not to a state or local government. An unpaid parking fine, unless issued by the Federal government on federal land will not preclude you from being granted a visa.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: NA
Hey so do you reckon if you said nothing, you would have gotten away with it? I'm possibly in a similar boat..

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.