Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance on NW799/DL3799 for NW Elite Member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

As you know, NW799/DL3799 flies JFK to NRT and it is operated by Delta Airlines. Since this flight leaves from terminal 4 at JFK, I assume the check in will be handled by Northwest (please correct me if I am wrong).

I am a NW elite member and I expect to have two 70lbs suitcases when travelling next week on NW799. As a NW elite member, I am allowed to ship two 70lbs suitcases, however, I don't think DL members are extended similar benefit.

My ticket is for NW799 NOT DL3799. Will check in agent at JFK allow me to ship two 70lbs suitcases or will they require me to pay extra fee siting DL's 50lbs rule?

I appreciate your help!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
AFAIK, DL gives elites (both DL and NW) 2 bags with a 70 lb. allowance each on domestic flights, so I can't see why they wouldn't give you that on an international flight.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Would you happen to have any experience sending three suitcases on a flight to Asia? I am willing to pay $150, but wanted to find out if the weight limit will be 70lbs or 50lbs on the third bag as a NW elite.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:06 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Everything you need to know is very clearly defined here:

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/ch...ml#freeluggage

Listed by destination/coach vs. business/when ticket was purchased.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Please answer me this. Is NW799/DL3799 a Northwest flight or a Delta flight?

Delta's website states the third bag will cost $200 (http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...gage/index.jsp) while Northwest says $150.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ehdguq
Please answer me this. Is NW799/DL3799 a Northwest flight or a Delta flight?

Delta's website states the third bag will cost $200 (http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...gage/index.jsp) while Northwest says $150.

Thanks in advance.
NW799/DL3799 is a weird thing, as it is a NW flight but operated by DL with a DL plane and crew. You get the DL lazyboy seat (which I find incredibly uncomfortable for sleeping, and prefer WBC seats, but YMMV). I took this flight 2 weeks ago. You can check in at the T2 terminal (specific for BE) and enter the T2 terminal via its TSA, then take a 10 minute busride airside to the T4 terminal. Food was good on board and the FAs were very attentive.
As far as I know (and I printed out the luggage rules for NW for this flight), you can check two bags at 30kg each + one additional (smaller size) at 20K on NW Business. As it is a NW flight that is what you get.

Interestingly, the TA at the BE checkin desk at T2 was not able to make my luggage tags at her console and had to use the kiosk to print out my luggage tags. They then put them on the belt for screening, so no hauling them over to TSA for their x rays.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Anytime one flight number is sub-1000 and the other is not, the sub-1000 number is on the native metal - so this is a NW flight.

Surprising that the NW fee hasn't been changed to 'best in class' yet.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by raehl311
Anytime one flight number is sub-1000 and the other is not, the sub-1000 number is on the native metal - so this is a NW flight.

Surprising that the NW fee hasn't been changed to 'best in class' yet.
But this flight is a NW flight and is flown on DL metal (a 777), so not entirely true in this case. Weird, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.