Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

DOn't Call me Crazy are they closing MSP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOn't Call me Crazy are they closing MSP?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Smile DOn't Call me Crazy are they closing MSP?

I am a GE with 70000 EQMS this year with current schedule could be close to Diamond Delta.
Everytime I try to book flights to the west from DTW I am NOT getting any connections to MSP. ( Try it yourself DTW to LAS or LAX or PDX or SEA. Before I would have the option of a Non Stop or routed through MSP. Now there may still be the Non Stop but almost ALL of the routings is through ATL or SLC or CVG. The option of MSP rarely comes up. Just checked DTW to ABQ for Xmas half were were MSP the rest good ole ATL That would indicate to me they are going to make MSP a MUCH smaller hub if at all. I am not saying trasnfering through MSP is a blessing but it is more convient that DTW-ATL-XXX. The only advantage of going to DTW-ATL XXX is more EQM.s-MQM's. It works out to 600+ each time I will fly through ATL. Has anybody else seen this pattern..
Do I really care. I guess the greed factor and business convienence factor comes into play. I am only the customer paying the bills.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: PE on UA, PM on DL, Plat on AA
Ditto

I too have seen a drop in choosing MSP options. I fly east from PDX and almost always was routed through MSP. Now it's tough to get that connection.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:17 am

They can't dehub MSP until they pay off the bond that the Metropolitan Council Currently provides a type of guarantee for. Under that contract NW/DL is required to maintain 400 flight a day out of MSP. It doesn't say where the flights go to. If NW/DL defaults the airport can force NW/DL to repay a $200+M bond. While they have the money, I doubt they really want to spend it, and that outweighs any advantage they may think there is with removing routes.

Be that as it may, I expect more RJs and less mainline out of MSP. It could loose an international route.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
What you say sounds very reasonable. At the height of NWA activiry in MSP do you koow the # of flights they had?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
It appears that DL might be doing its best to reduce flight activity by Northwest. Overall traffic was reduced almost 3X as much at NW as at DL:
Another tidbit that's come to light is that employment at NW has been reduced at 4X the rate as employment at DL:
This should come as no surprise given that the Earth's axis runs through Atlanta.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I haven't seen a full analysis of all the flights dropped / added this year but I can say from my experience I am seeing the same thing; it is more difficult to find connections through MSP and in particular flights from MSP to inland NW cities are being dropped. It means more miles but that's not always what I want and it definitely means more regional jet flights. The trend is decidedly not our friend.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
I am wondering if DL won't eventually drop or severely limit MSP flights because of the brutal winter weather. Sure, MSP has great snow removal equipment but a blizzard is a blizzard. And MSP always has a high amount of snowstorms. I know ATL has its share of ice storms but I think DL will loose a lot having to provide meal and hotel vouchers to stranded travelers, not to mention horrendous flight delays due to inclement weather.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I looked to book ORD-PHX back in July I was offered and took a MSP connection. I haven't checked since then though.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
I haven't noticed reduced connection options via MSP vs. ATL as much as vast fare differences (e.g., $800 more to do MCI-MSP-JFK vs. MCI-ATL-JFK when I can't make the one daily non-stop MCI-JFK flight).
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:08 pm

I am located just south of Green Bay, my "home" is Arizona. My daughter is getting married this weekend and I had been watching for fares for my family out of Tucson. There appeared to be less going thru MSP as well. I dont care to fly thru Chicago, if I can help it. I hope this does not continue- would stink to have to fly east to fly west!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
I am wondering if DL won't eventually drop or severely limit MSP flights because of the brutal winter weather. Sure, MSP has great snow removal equipment but a blizzard is a blizzard. And MSP always has a high amount of snowstorms. I know ATL has its share of ice storms but I think DL will loose a lot having to provide meal and hotel vouchers to stranded travelers, not to mention horrendous flight delays due to inclement weather.
I've had more weather-related delays hit me at ATL than at MSP. Also, MSP seems to get by better than DTW when both MSP and DTW have the same kind of weather issues. ATL has major delays even when area weather isn't an issue and it's even worse at ATL when weather of whatever sort is an issue.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've had more weather-related delays hit me at ATL than at MSP. Also, MSP seems to get by better than DTW when both MSP and DTW have the same kind of weather issues. ATL has major delays even when area weather isn't an issue and it's even worse at ATL when weather of whatever sort is an issue.
Yes, indeed ATL gets really rough in the summer time with thunderstorms in the afternoon IHMO. It can get tough there no doubt about it.

Slightly O/T GU, you have some private e-mail to check!

Safe Travels.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
I know ATL has its share of ice storms but I think DL will loose a lot having to provide meal and hotel vouchers to stranded travelers, not to mention horrendous flight delays due to inclement weather.
Since when do U.S. airlines provide hotel & meal vouchers due to delays from weather?

The OP didn't mention whether he was searching by schedule or by price. Perhaps it just means that ATL-xxx has a lot of low-fare availability; it certainly has more frequencies than DTW to most large west coast destinations.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by motytrah
Be that as it may, I expect more RJs and less mainline out of MSP. It could loose an international route.
How does an airline loose an international route? Can an international route also be tightened?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
This should come as no surprise given that the Earth's axis runs through Atlanta.
Don't you mean the universe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.