Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Seat Assignments Changed Randomly 4 Times within 24 hrs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 80K mile Non-rev, IHG Platinum

I have a friend, going on his honeymoon, who is flying NW58 MEM-AMS tonight (9/11) and was given a run around by Delta agents over the phone when there seats disappeared. They had seats 10AB on the A333 when they made the reservation. When they went to look at the reservation 23 hrs before departure it showed them in 34 DE. They called Delta and was told the reason the seats had changed was because it was a aircraft swap. (I looked on flightaware and this flight was an A332 until 9/1 where it switched back to an A333. Shouldn't matter as row 10AB is still bulkhead/ exit.) Then at 13 hrs before departure there seats got changed to 11AB and within an hour were then changed to 18HJ automatically.

Is this the way Delta handles seat assignments? They can switch seats around at anytime because they feel like it. I told my friend to check in online to hopefully lock in there good seats. Hopefully they wont get changed again. Not a good way to start a a honeymoon with 5 calls to Deltas "Top Notch" reservation center.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:51 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Yep, DL is known for seat switching. I have been watching my LAX-SYD-LAX seat assignments several times a week. Fortunately no change....yet.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I believe NW is still in complete control of this flight. I haven't heard that Delta has taken over any of the back-end IT systems from NW that control seat maps. Maybe I'm wrong and missed that announcement somewhere, though.

If there's an equipment swap, most people will lose their originally assigned seats and the computer will auto-assign a new one. Yes, most seats between a 333 and a 332 are 'where they should be' but the computer doesn't recognize that and moves everyone. This is a frustrating area where technology isn't being put to great use.

The only time I've ever had an equipment swap on NW was a DTW-SEA flight a couple of years ago. I got moved from my exit row window seat (I know - no upgrade!) to a center seat in the last row. The equip changed from one version of the 752 to another. The best they could do at the gate was give an aisle seat three rows from the back. I know I've just jinxed myself because DL is notorious for seat changes and equipment swaps.

My point is that it happens and people should pay attention to their seat assignments from time to time. However, I don't think you can blame this one on Delta. It's NW's problem.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.