Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NWA Business Class Award Discrepancy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL

I've found the following thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...rd-ticket.html

But I'm not sure what's going on in this situation:
1) Found Business class availability in each segment by creating individual bookings for each segment

2) Unable to duplicate the flight segments as listed above using simple RT or Multi-City itinerary on nwa.com.

3) Called NWA Worldperks Elite line and the agent said the flights in Business were unavailable but Economy was.

At first I suspected it was a married segment problem but I don't see how they would explicitly exclude Business class availability on a married segment issue while allowing Economy to work, or possibly vice versa.

I'm trying to find out if there's any way to figure out before calling the Elite line whether the availability is there (even though NWA.com does show it as available).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I booked a complicated one recently and made them do it step by step every time telling them A-class is avail. D-class is avail. etc.

SAN AS SEA stop SEA NW AMS KL HAM // CDG AF DTW NW SAN

it worked fine, but I had to guide him through it ... nwa.com would not cooperate.

Call back and try again. Married segments could be a problem in C, but not in Y ... did you check?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:58 pm

Why not just call - they won't bite.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by cfischer
Call back and try again. Married segments could be a problem in C, but not in Y ... did you check?
Actually that's what I'm trying to figure out; why have a married segment requirement for C but not Y. Not sure if a res. agent would be able to answer the reasoning why.

Originally Posted by bmchris
Why not just call - they won't bite.
I'm hoping to do most of the legwork online before calling them only to find out that they don't have availability despite what nwa.com shows. It's rather wasteful to be on the phone w/ the res. agent if I can determine for myself what's worth checking on. Took the agent 5 minutes to come back with the answer the flight(s) not available in Business. Multiply this by the multiple carriers that can get from A-B-C and it's just such a hassle without getting a clearer idea.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Actually that's what I'm trying to figure out; why have a married segment requirement for C but not Y. Not sure if a res. agent would be able to answer the reasoning why.

I'm hoping to do most of the legwork online before calling them only to find out that they don't have availability despite what nwa.com shows. It's rather wasteful to be on the phone w/ the res. agent if I can determine for myself what's worth checking on. Took the agent 5 minutes to come back with the answer the flight(s) not available in Business. Multiply this by the multiple carriers that can get from A-B-C and it's just such a hassle without getting a clearer idea.
Revenue Mgmt is probably anticipating being able to sell the C class seats.....Willing to give up a few in Y for miles, but not C....This was the case last year with the Olympics etc. and does come up on some routes from time to time...Or...could just be a glitch, but I doubt it
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
You really can never tell for sure about the married segments issue until you call. Sometimes the website shows not A-B-C availability (but A-B and B-C availability) because of a married segments issue. But sometimes it just doesnt show availability when there is availability. So you have to call to confirm. But as others have pointed out, the easiest way to avoid married segments issues is to mix partners. SEA-LHR may have no availability if I fly all NW/KL, but if I mix CO into the res I can get around that. But ultimately you have to call.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by stephem
You really can never tell for sure about the married segments issue until you call. Sometimes the website shows not A-B-C availability (but A-B and B-C availability) because of a married segments issue. But sometimes it just doesnt show availability when there is availability. So you have to call to confirm. But as others have pointed out, the easiest way to avoid married segments issues is to mix partners. SEA-LHR may have no availability if I fly all NW/KL, but if I mix CO into the res I can get around that. But ultimately you have to call.
I've found that changing A-B can change the routing, which can change the lack of married segment availability. The one downside (as an example) is that changing from DTW to FNT might fix the married segment issue, yet DTW would be a direct flight, and FNT could/would route through ATL (and sometimes even FNT-DTW!). Charge me fewer miles to fly me more segments... only in the airline industry would this make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.