Wiki Posts
Search

Young Elite Traveler

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW GE, National EE, IChotels Plat
Young Elite Traveler

I've been traveling with NW for about 3yrs now for work and have kept up the Gold status for quite awhile now. I'm in my mid-20s and have been treated quite rudely by some tictet counter reps, gate attendants. (sorry, haven't gotten all the abv. for those titles down yet.) FA's are mainly pleasant to deal with.

I have favorite quotes from each mentioned above...

Ticket Counter Rep: "You know that line is only for First/World Business Class passengers?" "Only Elites can use these terminals."

Gate Attendants: "I called for First Class only!" I mainly get ugly looks and no smiles from them, even after the passenger in front got a smile.

Granted, this doesn't happen at my home airport... as they've learned who I am and that I usually am upgraded on the majority of my flights out of there.

But it can be annoying to get that kind of rudeness directed towards me, for the only reason that I can see (being my age.) I'm usually the youngest seated in F. I will admit, when I do fly on Sunday's I usually look 'lower class' meaning I don't shave and usually just wear a t-shirt and jeans, so I can understand how that may look to some of those people, but I do believe I earned my status and should be treated the same as the rest of the elites.

I'm not bashing NW... I do enjoy flying with them and do enjoy the perks. Just seeing if anyone has had the same experiences.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:54 pm

See

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...ung-elite.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ing-elite.html

et al.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K
I reached Platinum at 22 years old and have had the same experience, and still get it now at 25. It is fun when you prove them wrong.

One time flying back business class from Paris dressed casually and carrying only a backpack, I astonished the line-keeper.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
While not experiences by those flying NW, here's a very popular thread on the CO forum that you might enjoy reading:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ing-elite.html
Old May 6, 2009, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
In MEM the other day, I was running a few minutes late, but saw that some boarding was going on. I go up to the gate, ask the agent are you boarding now. She says first class only and that I'd have to wait. I then said, "I think I'll board now then" as I handed her my BP for 3D on a 757.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
The looking young elite story that I have is being at the NRT RCC and having an agent cut up my RCC card because I had "stolen" my father's card, despite my protests that he (and my mom) were lifetime members. I walked over to the WC, showed them my PC card and have not flown UA ever since.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle
Wow, sounds like I've been lucky! I'm a 23 year old PE and have had very few of these sorts of experiences... maybe once or twice when GAs were in a rush. I am very young looking, sometimes look slovenly and for a while had very unkempt long hair .

Is there some sort of mini Flyertalk group/special meeting thread for younger elites? If not, how do we start one?
Old May 7, 2009, 11:37 am

I was GE at 19. I am 21 now. I always get looks, not normally from the WC agents, but mostly the first class check-in agents.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Happens on all airlines, not limited to youth. Some people just have preconceptions as to what an elite "looks" like. Three weeks ago I (backpack, shoulder length hair, jeans) had to remind CO's BE checking agent @ TXL 3 times that my wife & I were both Plats before she quit trying to send us to the other line.

When I asked a question about AF lounge access & timing, she seemed unable to deal w/ it. A guy next to her piped up & answered the question.

Just hold your ground and repeat, "I am a Platinum" until it sinks in.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm 29 but look like I'm in low-mid 20. I'm usually the youngest looking on in F. I don't remember ever being treated differently except once I was told by FA that front bathroom is reserved for F passengers only. I smiled, said "I know", and kept on going.

Oh and when I was coming back from Cancun this spring break, there were about 200+ people in the regular check in line (NW doesn't have kiosk in CUN). I pulled up to the airport in a Lincoln towncar (I ordered a normal private ride but they sent me a really nice car for some reason) and walked straight to the completely empty first class line. There were definitely a lot of stares.

Last edited by hw711; May 7, 2009 at 1:03 pm
Old May 7, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
I just turned 30, but I started travelling alot at 22/23ish, and was CO/NW Gold and Plat for ahwile. These days I'm Silver, travel has been less for work because business is bad, and alot of my work has been closer to home. But, I actually don't think I've ever had a problem, even when on leisure and dressed more informally. However, it looks like I might have lucked out.

I have had other older passengers stare me down or ask if I belonged in F. But no problems with the GAs, FAs, etc. I've always found the airline staff has been very pleasant to me as an Elite.

Two years ago I was on a SFO-DTW flight with a friend of mine who was 21, we were both in F. He said, "Can I have an Orange Juice and Vodka?" The flight attendant said, "I don't know, can you?" He said "Yes, I can." Obviously, she was dancing around the question of, are you of age and can I serve you, but I thought that was done nicely.

The first time I ever ordered an alcoholic beverage was DEN-EWR on CO right after I turned 21. I was in coach. I got carded. Boooo.
Old May 7, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Originally Posted by Yarhead
Wow, sounds like I've been lucky! I'm a 23 year old PE and have had very few of these sorts of experiences...
Likewise here. I haven't had many hassles, but this one time on my way to the DC-10 retirement DO, I was just 18 and a recently minted SE, already onboard my LAX-MSP flight and comfortably seated when an F/A came up to my row and informed me that I was upgraded. I was sitting near the back of the 752 so I had the almost full experience of walking down the aisle with glares from other pax that just just wanted to scream "how in the hell did a kid get upgraded to F?" As much as I appreciated winning the battlefield, it still ranks among the most embarrassing moments of my life.

Originally Posted by Yarhead
Is there some sort of mini Flyertalk group/special meeting thread for younger elites? If not, how do we start one?
Sure, why not contact lucky9876coins? He's a fellow young elite and a master at organizing DOs.

Last edited by N751PR; May 7, 2009 at 3:21 pm
Old May 7, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
My 21 year old son has been PE since he was 16. In the early years he was scrutinized and questioned. But, since he was 18 not so much. But, he always dresses sharp in slacks and polos. He says he likes to look like the 'idol rich'.
Old May 7, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I was talking to a redcoat at MSP once a couple of months ago and she mentioned that she once had a 9 year old Plat that she had UM duty on. I guess the kid was travelling monthly between his parents, who lived in ANC and NYC and had the kid fly back and forth quite a bit. Easy way to make Plat for sure.
Old May 7, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
All of my kids were elite before they hit the double digits, the youngest one made it at 3 years old. I am sure there are a few FF's that do not appreciate some of the F seats taken by these young flyers, especially when the FF's miss an UG. However, I will mention that they behave very well in the WC and plane. Once in a well, I do have to mention that we travel alot and not to worry about the kids....they behave well.

I think most people think when we board early that it is because of the kids, and I know some are surprised to round the corner and see us all seating in F.

Sometimes we have a little fun with the FA's when the kids ask which are our seats as we board the plane. I respond, "just take the front row." It is great to have the FA say excuse me sir, may I see your boarding passes.....Everyone (including the FA) gets a little chuckle out it! remember to have FUN!

Wildman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.