Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

New credit card strategies -- your take

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points

Like most of us I am faced with the end of the World Perks Visa card from US Bank. This is of some consequence to me as I am otherwise a US Bank customer and it was very convenient to link the accounts.

I also hold an Amex Green (27 years) and Delta SkyMiles card (seldom used since I made the switch from DL to NW several years ago).

The biggest problem with the DL Amex is that it's Amex and Amex isn't taken everywhere. If I stick with the new US Bank Visa then no miles accrue.

Possible solution:

Use DL Amex for DL/NW flights and go with Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Card for everyday purchases. Cancel US Bank and switch to Alaska Airlines where you can earn miles and bonuses. Alaska miles can accrue for travel on NW/DL.

Or is there a better way?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Will NWA $100 savings coupons end?

This is the deal where you trade 10,000 miles for a $100 discount certificate.

If so, then the time to use them is now.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Use DL Amex for DL/NW flights and go with Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Card for everyday purchases. Cancel US Bank and switch to Alaska Airlines where you can earn miles and bonuses. Alaska miles can accrue for travel on NW/DL
I didn't know about that Alaska Airlines card. I was planning on keeping the US Bank card as a backup for when the Amex didn't work. But maybe I'll switch to that? Any reason to believe they will stop allowing mileage transfers in the future?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Can you point to something that shows the Alaska Air card accrues skyteam miles?

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcherney
Can you point to something that shows the Alaska Air card accrues skyteam miles?

Thanks.
It actually accrues Alaska miles but you can use them on NW or DL.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
This thread parallels several others regarding the credit card issue, and decisions that have to be made. I have finally made mine, while leaving some room for making changes later on.

Based on the offer I received in the mail last week, I opted to obtain the Delta Amex, along with 52,500 bonus miles. We will see if those miles actually show up.

In the meantime, since I know that I must have another, more widely accepted, card I have decided to temporarily hang on to my USBank Visa cards. I have both a Signature and Platinum version. All spending on the Signature card will be diverted to the DL AMEX when possible, and all spending on the Platinum card will be diverted to the Signature card. I will let the Platinum card quietly go away after the first year of "no fee".

As I have often said here, everyone is in a unique situation, and must make their own decisions. My situation is that I am what has been described as a "credit card whale". I routinely run a LOT of business expenses through the cards and pay them off every month. The past few years, I have averaged about $30,000 per month in charges, which has netted me an equivalent number of miles every month, in addition to my flying. Not to mention the recent EQM bonuses that USBank has added.

For now, I am willing to wait and see what the exact terms of the USBank offer really are. Will I be able to pick and choose the exact flights for my "reward" ticket? Will I be able to pay for it with both my "points balance" and additional cash, if needed, above the point thresholds they have communicated? Once the FULL T&C are known, I will be better able to make a decision regarding the USBank Card. Until then, I need a Visa Card and it will be this one. I am still open to finding another Visa/MC at a later date, if necessary.

Because $20,000 of my charges every month are for airfare, there is a very strong pull to put these charges on the USBank Card, because of the bonuses they offer. But if their Points Scheme turns out to worthless, I will be gone in a heartbeat.

There are still a lot of unknowns, but for now I am comfortable with my decisions
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
There are still a lot of unknowns, but for now I am comfortable with my decisions.
I appreciate your analysis, but I would not be comfortable basing my strategy on two completely unknown, unpredictable products. Amex could yank you back to a $1,000-per-month credit limit at any moment, without explanation or justification (and they've certainly hit high-spend-volume "whales" like you this way -- incredibly unfair to small businesses they were until recently encouraging to make Amex their whole, sole credit provider). This FlexPerks thing, on the other hand, is full of question marks, and all the marcom I've seen is so cagily, tentatively worded, I don't trust it.

So what do you do if Amex pins you back and FlexPerks is, as I suspect, lame, limited and full of constraints? I just don't think either is trustworthy.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:04 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Upon my approval yesterday, AMEX granted me a $20,000 limit on the DL Skymiles Gold Card. That is not nearly enough, but I will live with it for 2 months and request a higher limit later. (FYI, my two USBank cards each have a $25,000 limit.)
I actually think that the best AMEX product for me is one of their "no limit, approval based on your payment history" cards. And after a few months, I fully expect that they will offer me an upgrade to this type of card. Whether it is the DL Platinum AMEX or the ultra-elite version (whatever they call it??) with the extra added perks like priority for upgrades, I will have to evaluate the offer. I don't need CRC privileges, as I am already a Lifetime WC Member (Ha, got you there, DL!) and I see no immediate reason not to be able to requalify for PE in the future. Unless, of course, they raise the bar too high next year and I need all of those EQM's from credit card usage
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
And after a few months, I fully expect that they will offer me an upgrade to this type of card.
While they may, don't bank on it. Your circumstances sound similar to mine. I was recently denied a credit limit increase from 25K to 30K on my Plat Amex despite outstanding credit and a 2 year history with them.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: DL,HH,SPG,ICH,Thrifty,Hertz
Has anyone thought of applying for a Delta SkyMiles Visa thru Scotiabank USVI? The Delta website shows them as a credit card partner. Like others, I have an AMEX already and don't need another.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:32 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by BearX220
I appreciate your analysis, but I would not be comfortable basing my strategy on two completely unknown, unpredictable products. Amex could yank you back to a $1,000-per-month credit limit at any moment, without explanation or justification (and they've certainly hit high-spend-volume "whales" like you this way -- incredibly unfair to small businesses they were until recently encouraging to make Amex their whole, sole credit provider). This FlexPerks thing, on the other hand, is full of question marks, and all the marcom I've seen is so cagily, tentatively worded, I don't trust it.

So what do you do if Amex pins you back and FlexPerks is, as I suspect, lame, limited and full of constraints? I just don't think either is trustworthy.
I have an AmEx platinum and though I have no preset "limit" I have charged up to $50K in one month with no problem. Due to my spending patterns, this card is best for me. I earn MR points and can transfer to DL (or CO or others) when needed and when I receive bonuses for the transfers. A normal "credit" card would not give me the limits that I currently have. And I get lounge access. Until the PremierPass Elite card got rid of the fixed point option, I used that card to max out my 100K purchase points and that was an incredible deal (still is not bad). As was said, every situation is unique.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:33 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Alaska Air has a good card. One great benefit if you live where they fly to is that each year you get a companion certificate which is good for a companion ticket for $50 on any fare, even a first class fare. Can be very valuable.

Their initial bonus is attractive and they have one-way awards. I believe a one-way award within Alaska is 7,500 miles. Great if you are piecing flights/boat trips together to see that great state.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fti
I have an AmEx platinum and though I have no preset "limit" I have charged up to $50K in one month with no problem.
What you have to realize is that Amex has changed your kind of deal for many others without warning, knocking people down to a tenth or less of the rope they'd been using, and it could happen to you too with no notice. Great that you've been happy up to now but I think it would be unwise to bank on nothing changing.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:54 pm

Delta is pushing their Gold American Express card which will cost you $95 a year starting the second year. It is interesting, if you look on the American Express web site they only show three Delta cards, the Gold, the Platinum, $150 per year, and the Reserve, $450 per year, all high end cards. If you go to Delta's web site you will find two lower end cards, the Classic at $55 per year and the Options that has no yearly fee. Granted you do not get the benefits the higher end cards offer, but the Options gives you 2000 miles for signing up and with no yearly fee this might be the card for those who just want to keep their Delta miles active so they do not loose them after 24 months and continue to use Visa as their main card.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Charles Schwab Visa

I absolutely love my visa from charles schwab bank - I think it is 2% cash back (I don't consider my miles to be worth much more than 2 cents/mile, especially now days)... and most importantly they don't charge any forex fees!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.