Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

FlyNow on the day before the original date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Due to my personal business, I need to change a flight one day before the original date. And I'm a PE.

- original flight
I will fly at 7:00am on Apr. 13 (Monday).

- question
Can I fly anytime on Apr. 12 (Sunday) usying FlyNow? (I just can't fly on Monday.)

Could anyone please answer this question?
If it is not possible, I will have to change or buy a new ticket before the price goes up.

Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: NW GE
FlyNow is for day of departure, so no.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
You have to change your ticket. FlyNow is only available on the day of departure. When you check-in for your Monday flights on Sunday the FlyNow option will not even be available to you. You'd have to wait until midnight Monday morning.

Change fee + fare difference is the only way to go here. Unless this is the return portion of a trip - then it's usually just the change fee.

You can't even do standby on this as standby is only valid on the day of departure as well.

-RM
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Only legacy airline I know of whose "same day confirmed" change allows to fly the previous day, is CO. As soon as you're within the 24 hour OLCI check-in period you can change to any available flight within 12 hours from then, even it it's the prior day. So if I'm on a 7:40am DEN-EWR-RDU Monday I can change to a Sunday afternoon flight.

Of course Plats have to pay $25 for SDC at CO, so it's not all wine and roses. But that flexibility of prior day and 12 hours rather than 3 is worth it IMHO.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:24 am

Sounds about right...

As an aside, the only time this policy bugs me is when you're booked on a red-eye SFO or SEA to MSP that leaves at 00:30 and you can't even try to standby for the last afternoon or evening flight.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by shiner
Sounds about right...

As an aside, the only time this policy bugs me is when you're booked on a red-eye SFO or SEA to MSP that leaves at 00:30 and you can't even try to standby for the last afternoon or evening flight.
That does bug me too. I'm often on the 00:50 redeye from LAS to MSP, but there are many times where I just end up sitting at my preferred bar slowly drinking a beer while waiting for that flight since I'm wiped out (and I'd have much rather been on the 7:20p LAS-MSP that gets in after midnight).
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
That does bug me too. I'm often on the 00:50 redeye from LAS to MSP, but there are many times where I just end up sitting at my preferred bar slowly drinking a beer while waiting for that flight since I'm wiped out (and I'd have much rather been on the 7:20p LAS-MSP that gets in after midnight).
If you spend 7:20-00:50 drinking beer at the airport, at least you'll sleep on the flight home!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I hate to disagree...but I will.

I have used Fly Now to fly out the night before. I was scheduled to leave TPA at 6:22am and the 5-something pm to MEM the day BEFORE came up as an option. I took it. I have found that the flights the day before pop up if you check in around the 24 hour mark for an early morning flight.

I have also seen flights for the next day come up from time to time as well. These usually pop up more toward fllight time in the late afternoon or evening.

And it does not happen all the time which makes me think it is load controlled some way.

You have to pay very close attention to the date. The date is the only tip-off.

Last edited by tvnwz; Mar 27, 2009 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 27, 2009, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Agree, it would be nice to have FlyNow at the 2359 window....
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've been offered day before flynow options at no additional charge when I've checked in several times recently. I was surprised the first time it happened, didn't use it, and have seen it a few times since. Of course it isn't there until checkin, at the 24 hour window so depending on departure time it may or may not work. Have had it a few times when checking in at about 23 hours for an early morning flight, have been offered the evening before at no additional charge.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by mot29
I've been offered day before flynow options at no additional charge when I've checked in several times recently. I was surprised the first time it happened, didn't use it, and have seen it a few times since. Of course it isn't there until checkin, at the 24 hour window so depending on departure time it may or may not work. Have had it a few times when checking in at about 23 hours for an early morning flight, have been offered the evening before at no additional charge.
I've always been offered day before/day after FlyNow options at OLCI time when at least one of my flights looks pretty close to full.

OP—How full are your flights looking? If you're a gambling man/woman...
Old May 28, 2009, 4:38 am

Programs: NW PE, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Any recent experiences?

I have a similar situation to what is discussed here... my Sat morning flight is wide open, but I would like to take the Fri night flight, which has 4 F and 7 Y, all the way down to 4 K fare still open... any thoughts on my chances of using FlyNow or standing by the night before? Any recomendations on when I should check-in? can I try the flynow multiple times?
Old May 28, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by ct203flyer
I have a similar situation to what is discussed here... my Sat morning flight is wide open, but I would like to take the Fri night flight, which has 4 F and 7 Y, all the way down to 4 K fare still open... any thoughts on my chances of using FlyNow or standing by the night before? Any recomendations on when I should check-in? can I try the flynow multiple times?
I've been encountering offers to fly the day before for free by checking in right at the 24-hour mark; this is dependent probably on when NW has calculated that it is to their advantage to move you (or at least definitely not to their disadvantage). These offers are usually only available for the first few hours after your check-in window starts, so pack your bags and be ready to go the day before if it is offered to you. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
Originally Posted by shiner
Sounds about right...

On this same note:

I am on a Friday night departure redeye from SEA ~10:00 PM to BWI via DTW. I was hoping to use FlyNow to confirm onto the 00:15 AM or 00:55 AM flights (Thursday night / Friday morning) to BWI via MSP. (24 hour checkin, would be shortly before ~90 min the flights I would like to take)

I know FlyNow has strange availability for confirmation (via online checkin), but is it within the rules to show-up at the airport and standby? I am a DL PM and my wife on an alternate confirmation number has no status. Any thoughts, thanks for the input?
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: NW GE
If you show up to stand-by for a flight on the original calendar day of your departure and space is available you will be able to do it for free (assuming that BWI is your original destination), and your wife can do it for $50 (if she is on a different confirmation number than you).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.